So why do we, as a society focus so much on pop culture and not upon pressing issues?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 2

• Pop culture is dramatic and exciting. Pressing issues are harder to understand and don't come in pretty packages.

• Sorry, totally wrong time... but how does one send a message on this site? Im having issues

• Simply go to your profile and click messages. Or hover your mouse over a User Name... you will see a box pop up on the far right of that box there will be a column of options... click the one that looks like an envelope and you will be guided to message that user... try it with mine and just say test in the message

• Now, to answer your question. Because we as a society, as a group of people, as a whole, we like to be distracted. We like to turn our heads in the other directions towards Kim Kardashian huge butt rather than the fact that we are running ourselves into the ground. We don't pay attention because we don't want to know. We're afraid of what we might find, so we distract ourselves with ignorance.

What Guys Said 4

• It is funny there was a question last night about this current generation and I was saying when I grew up kids would have been more aware of current affairs - I think it is the internet whether it is a bad thing or not but I would have been out all day with my friends all day with my friends in the 1970s and 1980s and come the evening time would have chilled in the family room in front of only TV in the house which my parents controlled so I would see the news every night plus a current affarirs programme maybe 3 times a week. Today kids are off watching their own TV or online with friends with no interest for current affairs.

• Hmm yes, kids these days seem to want to run from everything including the matters on the internet. There are problems with having too much information. Personally it has never effected me but more often than not with the generation I grew up in was not sheltered as much as usual simply because of the internet; so my guess is that it shocked them into not wanting to deal with it at all. I can't blame anyone for that matter. Detaching yourself from it and looking at the situation objectively is difficult to learn.

• I don't know but I prefer current affairs to who had a boob enlargement or who killed who in some crappy tv drama. And lets be honest, it's more relevant and important, the life of a pop star or fictional soap opera compared to the tensions between various countries, and politicians making decisions that affect us all.

• People don't like problems and sad/negative things. Also it is whatever sells from the media standpoint.

• most people are dim. not to be judgmental, but most don't think deeply.