My mom slapped my girlfriend and my girlfriend threaten to press charges and send her to jail. I broke up with her. Was I wrong to break up with her?

My mom slapped my girlfriend and my girlfriend threatened to press charges and send my mom to jail. I broke up with her. Was i wrong to break up with her?

• Yes
    63% (46)
  • No
    37% (27)
And you are? I'm a GirlGuys can not vote on this poll
She was going to say the word "cunning" but my mom thought she was going to say the word "cunt" so she slapped her before she finished the word

25

Most Helpful Girl

• Mom was in the wrong when she 'Slapped my girlfriend' and at that Time, for we all say things when we are mad at times, much like mom, she most likely Wanted To...'Threatened to press charges.'
    You went to bat for mom instead and ended it with your girl. I do believe if everyone sat down or just let things cool off, this could have been handled in another different light on a different day.
    I guess she never did say what she said she was going to do and with her being 'punished,' maybe it is time to kiss and make up and let this just be a lover's quarrel that got way out of hand.
    Good luck. xx

• I see a big misunderstanding of "She said, she said.":)) xx

What Girls Said 24

• She should absolutely press charges. You're adult mother assaulted your girlfriend for literally NO REASON, only for the IDEA that she was going to say a "BAD WORD" are you fucking kidding me? And then you break up with her?
    I hope she DOES press charges especially since you obviously don't care about her

• Well even if she did say "cunt", your girlfriend is a grown woman and your mother is not her mother, so your mom was totally wrong to even try to stop her from saying it, but to slap her? No matter what happens, putting your hands on someone is over the limit.
    Maybe your girlfriend was a little harsh when she threatened to put your mom in jail, but she certainly didn't hit your mom back or name call her.
    Basically your girlfriend handled the situation pretty well, I mean if it was me I would have been in awe and would have said "Why would you do that, what's wrong with you?"
    I mean anyone would be mad when someone lays a hand on them and for such a silly reason. Why would you ever dump her over that? Even if you try to get her back, she might not want to get back..

• i so agree with this. if i were the ex i wouldn't. getting disrespected like that then dumped. seriously? self worth people!

• Ikr! All he did was basically add fire to the fuel. Who would blame her if she wants to move on?

• fuel to the fire lol*

• I voted wrong. I should have voted yes but voted no. I think it's wrong to break up with her over that. Your mother shouldn't have slapped her in the first place. That is out of place and unappropriate.

• Whole story not given. From what you've said in three sentences with no detail says almost nothing, therefore yes it was wrong to breakup with her when it was your mom who is guilty of attacking her physically.

What's the whole story, if you don't mind me asking? That way I can give a better opinion if there is something I'm missing.

• She was going to say the word "cunning" but my mom thought she was going to say the word "cunt" so she slapped her before she finished the word

• This is definitely part of the double standard. You are doing this because she is a woman and I am a man and you don't want to support the man that is why you are not listening to me

• What the fuck are you talking about? Did you even read any of my comments? The no-slapping clause in my comments was not gender specific. Post your link if you want support from me, if not, quit lumping me in with "everybody". Now that I know what you're doing and what the situation was (unless you fictionalized it) then go ahead and press charges, AND break up.

• I wouldn't want to have a unsupportive boyfriend like you.
    So in all honesty, you did the girl a favor.

Your Mom has no right to put her hands on someone else.
    Your girlfriend is not her child.
    It doesn't matter if she felt justified... wrong is wrong.

• Firstly your mum was out of order. My husband would advise me to slap his mother back; but out of respect my, I wouldn't. I wouldn't press charges, I would tell my husband to handle it and I would expect a full apology at the end.

I think you had no choice but to break up, because she's pressing charges. That's a lot!
    But you also better have words with your mum and let her know she fucked up! Not only did she assault your girlfriend, but she's also ruined your relationship. She needs to apologise.

• your mom had no right to slap your girlfriend. no one ever has the right to slap or harm anybody. if i were your ex i would definitely do something about it. first your mother disrespects her then you make it worse by breaking up with her. yes she's your mother and all but you should've stood up for your girlfriend because she was the one being disrespected.

• It doesn't matter if she is your mother. She did wrong, and she of all people should understand about responsibility, owning up to your mistakes, and that wrong is wrong-because she instilled those values in you.

She had no right to physically attack anyone. And you were wrong to end the relationship with the person who was actually in the right.

• You dumped your girlfriend after she was attacked over a misunderstanding that was the fault of your mother of course you are in the wrong. Though I honestly wouldn't even bother trying to get back together since any girl with any sense of self worth and pride would not want to get back together with you after being treated the way you treated your girlfriend.

• I voted before I read the update. I voted that it was wrong because she's your mother and your mother should always be more important than your girlfriend. However, after reading the update, your mother should not have slapped your girlfriend over that in that situation. It was incredibly inappropriate.

• No. Your mom is more important than your girlfriend. She raised, carried you for 9 months and gave birth to you.

• what if she raped him. not that his mom did. point being some moms torture their kinds-like some dads., being a parent isn't a definitive testament to worthiness.

• Who does you mother think she is putting her hands on someone like that? Your girlfriend has every legal right to press charges on your mother. You shouldn't of dumped her.

• i can see why you broke up with your girlfriend because the relationship really doesn't stand much of a chance after this, BUT i can see where your girlfriend is coming from you mother was in the wrong and she should be held accountabe

• While I agree that your mom should not have slapped your girlfriend, your ex-girlfriend is probably scarier for being so quick to threaten charges. Between that and how concerned your mother was that she thought your ex would say the c word in front of her, probably not the right girlfriend for you.

• Your mom should never slap someone your with. There should be respect on both sides. You don't want to be alone forever.

• Your mom did wrong... never interrupt someone when is talking, that's rude.
    And yes, you were wrong breaking up with your girlfriend, if the reason was the one you've mentioned.

• I don't know... your mom seems to be in the wrong there. What's done is done, no? So it can only matter so much if it was right.

• That's less drama for you, honey.

• Hell No!!! She shouldn't have pissed your mom off, nor have nervs to say she want to press charges on her, thats disrespectful

• really? you didn't even ask why his mom slapped her.

• Well why did your mum slap her? There must have been a reason for that.

• There is no reason to ever hit someone in anger so in that regards your mother was wrong in slapping her. To be honest, if a guy's mother slapped me, I would be pressing assault too.

If it gets to the point that a mother's relationship with a guy's girlfriend has already turned physical then I think there is bound to be more drama in the relationship. I think it was right to break up because you don't want to keep living with that drama.

• Your mother should apologize to your girlfriend and buy law your girlfriend has every right to press charges on her and u are in the wrong for taking your mothers side when clearly she was wrong to begin with I agree with your girlfriend I would have done the same thing

• why did she slap her though it matters why?

• any way you were best to break up because the drama would never end, can't have you mom hating your girlfriend and vice versa

• but your mom is best to say sorry and hope she doesn't press charges

• yes you were.