Why do some people not believe in God?

It just makes so much sense to me...

Most Helpful Girl

• Believing in a higher almighty power aka god makes less sense than not believing in a deity.
    If one can explain the facts through other means aka science, one doesn't need a higher power to attribute the natural phenomenons to.

• But what makes facts true?

• Properties are properties. They are as much god as my shoe is a scarf. Playing with the semantics is one thing, attributing everything to god is a different thing.
      I recommend some physics and statistical thermodynamics though. Good luck ;)

• Properties are properties, and if two things have the exact same properties, they are the same thing. If an atom has one proton with one electron orbiting it then it is a hydrogen atom. If you get another proton and get an electron orbiting it, the thing as a whole is also a hydrogen atom. There is no difference in what they are, and that was the basis of my argument that God has the properties of the idea of properties themselves, making God a part of everything. I personally don't agree with my argument, but I thought an intelligent individual such as yourself would spark some entertaining, fun and thought-provoking discussion.
      If it's and consolation I'm studying Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry as part of my college course, and have researched thermodynamics enormously.
      Good luck to you too, and thanks again.

What Girls Said 18

• Because believing in a higher power is a belief and not a fact.

People aren't wrong to choose otherwise.

We all will know what's real or not when that day comes.

• There's a lot of evidence supporting more science-based theories, like the big-bang, evolution, etc.. Not that those necessarily disprove religion, but you can't disprove what they show.

Religion is 99% based on faith. The more I learn about what various religions teach, in terms of scriptures of just interpretations, the more cultish it sounds. If you believe in fairy-tales, it'll make sense. If you require some grounds to to your faith, religion probably isn't for you.

• I completely agree with science, although it doesn't disprove God in any sense to my knowledge. Of course it's based on faith, but most things including science also are.

• Not faith, more like reason to believe.

Faith; strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

• Religious people have reason to believe, that's basically what others call faith.

• God and the whole concept makes zero sense to me. How does it makes sense? Evolution is what makes sense.

• Evolution does make sense, but what doesn't make sense about God to you?

• Did u see the evolution? If u did tell me then

• People see evolution in their children, lol.

• I don't know it either. God doesn't make sense to me. I think God is made up by people to answer the questions in life and get rid of their insecurities about why they're on this earth and to give a purpose in life. People like to hold on to something and religion gives that support.

Sounds all good and stuff, but I think it's better to find the answers in life and just get everything out of life right now and not wait till death to make everything better. It holds us back, while we should live forward.
    I'm not saying that every religious person is like that. Infact, most people are not like that, but the whole idea of God just doesn't make sense to me. People are like "yeah, I don't believe everything out the bible/koran etc." But what should you believe then?

• Actually believing in God does nothing to help my insecurities, changes nothing to why I think I'm on the earth nor the fact that I know I don't have a predisposed purpose in life. I agree that religion often does that, but believing in God separate from religion isn't as relevant to that. Believing in God does not mean I believe in the afterlife or anything like that.

• Because they don't have reason to. Many people, including myself, simply don't believe there is enough evidence to justify belief in a deity. And even if there were, there's no way to tell which specific deity it would be.

• I see, so for you it's not a specific aspect, it's just a lack of reason?

• For the most part. I have specific reasons for not believing in certain gods, such as the Abrahamic view of God or some such, but as for a divine power in general my reason is simply that I don't have a reason to believe in such a thing.

• I have the highest respect for religions, and people who believe, but I hate the concept of god. I've been through some extremely awful stuff which have almost costed my life ( several times ). And i can't believe there could be an all mighty god who'd let an innocent kid go through all of that hardship...
    But if there were an believable scientific explanation, of the existents of God, I'd probably be able to accept it as an alternative.

But I can see how much good religion can do, and how much love it can spread, so i'm happy that people can feel joy of believing. :)

• I'm sorry you had to go through that but I was thinking of God in a more abstract term. What about a God that isn't bothered about people, for example?

Also I appreciate your open mindedness and positivity towards others beliefs. :)

• sorry for the grammar mistakes, English is not my native languish :3

• Why do some people don't believe in Santa Claus?

• This adam and eve thing. Jesus ressurection... Marie got pregnant without sex😂 Come on. The only proof about this WHOLE story is a simple book. Anyone could have wrote it.

• Why do you want to know?

• NOOOOO SANTA CLAUS MADE SENSE TO MEH :(

Honestly, I don't know why we tell kids that Santa Claus exists.
      But they seem to like it for whatever reason.
      At least they eventually grow out of *that*.

• Because it doesn't make sense to us...

• What doesn't make sense about God to you?

• Religious people also have the burden, though, of the possibility that their dead loved one is not in a better place but, in fact, in a much worse place...

Personally, I do find that there are some times when I feel that being able to seek solace in religious belief would be comforting, for the most part I don't find it more difficult to deal with grief. In some cases, it's actually easier to deal with grief not believing in a god. For example, one of the big things that happened that really started me on my path of rejecting my religion altogether was the untimely death of my cousin. I was 16 years old and my 12 year old cousin was killed in a car accident. Instead of bringing me comfort, the idea of god only made me angry. It was more comforting to believe that the tragedy was utterly pointless than to believe that it was somehow part of gods grand plan, because if that was the case then fuck god, I want nothing to do with him.

• I'm very sorry to hear about your cousin, my deepest sympathies.

While being in a much worse place is said to happen, there are a lot of different takes on the situation, some being that hell isn't actually somewhere you can go. For the people that believe this, death is only a comfort.

One great benefit of not believing in God is realising you do things yourself, you don't let others do them for you.

• Because they dont want to and think its fake or something

• there is more proof of against gods existence then there is about god being real...

• There isn't any proof either way.

• the big bang was a star that exploded... and what created the star? the star was created by gases and different elements like that, and how were they all created? a good magician (science) never reveals its secret. or we came from aliens, id believe that over god any day xD

• You have no idea on even old versions of the big bang. Stars didn't exist until after the big bang. The big bang is thought of as a infinity small point that compressed all of matter and it expanded rapidly.

• cause its a belief not a truth.

• It makes equally as little sense to other people :)

I can't even explain why I don't believe in a god. It just doesn't seem plausible at all.

• So it's not a specific part of God, but the entire concept?

• What works instead for you then?

• I find it hard to believe or accept the belief that an intangible entity has designed, made and controlled the entire universe. Also, the good ol' argument of "if God is omniscient, omnipotent and omnibenevolent, why does he let bad things happen". However, I'm willing to accept the figures within the Bible to some extent. What works for me is just... Nothing. I don't need religion to validate my existence. I'm human. That's that. It's natural for me to see my creation and birth as a scientific miracle, in the sense that it's a fantastic process. Not a religious miracle.

• I do not know. But I am totally ok with it. I respect it.

• Are you another jihadi believe what I do an I won't kill you 😴

• Cuz for others it doesn't make that much sense to them...

• Because the let the burden of sim weigh them down. How many sucidal people believe in god. Ps dont say Judas Iscariot

• Because they let the burden of sin weigh them down. How many sucidal people believe in god. Ps dont say Judas Iscariot. Just a little before y'all grammer nazis throw hysterics

• Science is a lot more believable than believing that some giant sits in the sky and controls us. I respect religions, and I like some views, but I'm not going to put my faith in something that can never be proven as real and that I cannot see or be given proof of.

• You can believe in God while not believing about anyone in the sky or anyone controlling us though.

• I don't believe in God, but I do believe in a higher power, like the thing that started everything (like what started the big bang, what started that, and so forth...)

• Some people think, if the God is exists he isn't unfair

What Guys Said 25

• ''It just makes so much sense to me...''
    So, It makes sense to you that snakes can talk and shit?
    dausonstimpsongagnon.files.wordpress.com/.../talking-snake.jpg
    So, It makes sense to you that gay people should eternally burn for being BORN gay? Surely if god made people he would have never made them gay?

So, It makes sense to you that innocent children, Who have never ''sinned' are born into poverty and or with life threatining illness's that will lead them to a short life fraught wil debalitating agony and suffering until their inevitable young deaths?
    http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Er1kTF3smOE/hqdefault.jpg
    Get fucked... Nothing about the 'God' makes sense, Like all religious people, You were indoctrinated since childhood by your parents / relatives / friends / society into believing this bulshit but you don't know any better as you have been told your entire life thats correct by people you trust.
    Just the same way Young germans in 1939 were raised up believing Jews were bad and put into the Hitler Youth and eventually the SS.
    Indonctrination of children leads to evil things...

• I am not religious and most of what you said is BS regarding a religion that is nothing to do with what I'm talking about. People can believe in God without believing in a religion.

• One definition of God:
      'The creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.'
      Our consciousness creating the universe, plus us being able to suicide/kill and thus end consciousness and in a sense rule our creation, plus the fact that we created morals makes us fit this description in terms of biocentrism.
      There's a branch of biocentrism (I think it's a merged branch with solipsism) that states that your individual consciousness is the creator, and the others are part of the reality you create by being conscious. Does this not show a God by some definitions that in itself isn't part of a religion?

• Also, the idea of a God in religion would also be an observer of sorts.

• Because people typically are religious only because their parents were religious and it's become a habit to them, or they actually made it be a part of their "identity" as if your labels were all that much important.

www.quickmeme.com/.../...3837c73f528930c095303.jpg

The church is just out there to take people's money. Have you ever checked how much a funeral service costs? It's ridiculous; I'm pretty sure if God existed he would be so stingy that he'd take "the average cost for a funeral in the UK £3,600 (figure correct as of 2015)" to let dead people rise to heaven.

It was designed to seem like it makes sense. Scientology was created to seem like it makes sense, some people willingly give up all their money and their lives for their churches.

Islamists are perfectly okay with forcing their beliefs on their peers and children or otherwise stoning them to death; the only thing that retains the ancient culture codified by religions is the people who don't want to consider the possibility of change. Those who think that their religion is what makes them better as people...

It is odd to me. Is it really your merit that you're following something designed by others, rather than realize what is right and wrong on your own? Why take pride in the morality of others?

• I have no disagreements regarding the ill-intent of religion in many cases. Personally I hate what churches used to (and to some extent) still do to scam people.
      This question was more intended towards believing in God, as people can believe in God without being a part of a religion.

• Then there's no point in choosing a side. Is there a Creator? MAYBE.

Probably not.

Or at least, not one that would influence our lives in any way.

So there's no real point in wondering about it.

• Because people create idols. These idols are made in their image of what perfection would be and start to worship and fear these idols. It becomes apart of them molding who they are and directing their life. It gets to a point where they can not destroy these idols due to the man made fear and power they have given to their own creation. In turn this delusion carries on to rule their self-idolized life.

• Great explanation!

• Actually, I am not religious and I was hoping for intellectual discussion as I found at certain points my arguments as someone who is not religious had little ground, so I was hoping discussion would broaden my understanding of both sides.
      I actually think similarly to you and pretty much agree 100% with what you said, although I also think people create idols but purposefully don't believe it, but utilise it to control others (at least at the formation of religion. To control the masses with 'laws' that seem unbreakable without punishment.)

• I agree, i feel as if religion is somewhat of a cult in the way it operates.

• Why don't you believe in Krishna or any of the thousands of other gods that people have worshipped or still do worship? Have you given it much thought on why you think yours is more prevalent? It wasn't that long ago in history when most religions were polytheistic. If I was born in Norway during the time of the Vikings I'd be worshipping Odin and Thor and so would you. Beliefs change with the ebb and flow of time especially before the dawn of the printing press.

• It's a belief and not fact. Compared to other scientific theories it is highly unlikely. People evaluate their beliefs, their life and the science they know is true and they find that it just doesn't fit. This is how many have lost their faith (including me :) ) Science that goes against religion seems to fit together so well and makes complete sense, whereas God requires belief without question or facts. You should watch Stephen Fry on God and he speaks about how even if god did exist he'd be an a liar and an asshole.

• Because not believing in god makes a lot of sense to other people my friend.

Bro people will get offended by this question regardless of what they believe but the worst thing is someone who tries to force their beliefs down none believers throats.

I don't believe but I do find all types of relidgon awesome and interesting.

Just don't force it down their throats (this goes for none believers too)

• I completely agree and I'm glad that there are other people on Gag that use that logic and foundation.
      May I ask what reasons specifically there are for you not believing?

• I see, so it's just everything about God and not a specific part that dissuades you from believing?

• Yeah like some parts don't make sense (kind of like evolution ahha)

• it must not make so much sense to them

• There's a difference between "I don't believe in God" and "I don't want to believe in God" ... I think that most athletes don't want to believe in God.

• Atheists*

• @mesonfielde who is the one that stones people for eating bacon? Well actually that's what you are good at, claiming and making false stereotypes, it's funny how you only focus at those things in religion.

• I could come up with the mandatory mutilation of male children's genitals. I'm not making that one up.
      I don't care that jews do it too, the same statements apply to them as well.

• Just because 'It just makes so much sense' to you doesn't mean that it makes sense to other people nor does it mean that it is true. And seeing as Atheism is the lack of belief in something that cannot be proven it would be a more reasonable question to ask why do most people believe in god.

• If you check out the world and religions and i come with the same conclusion all religions pretty much think they are right and will say their religion can be proved by *insert reason/argument here* but for me personally its not the concept of a god/s that bothers me when it comes to religion its what people do in the game of their ideals and god/s that bothers me and how people use that to validate some awful and morally condemable actions the choose to undertake.

• I dont believe in god and I dont because whydo people believe in a white old man who created things at his whim is beyond me. The concept of god is only believed by the uneducated since anyone who read a few books other than the bible woul at leats begin to question it...

• Well just to confuse things I wonder how anyone can believe that agod exists

• I believe in Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I personally met him when I was high.

• I believe in God, and Jesus Christ Of Nazareth. However I think other Individuals should have the free right to believe in what they really want so you should leave them as they want to be so yeah there is my opinion, and pretty much my cool two cents just down over here for you. :).

• I don't believe in god,,, because When you burn you burn and don't believe in God Or anything,, and then ,, you believe in God just because you family and friends believe in this ,,, actually you don't know if you believe or not,,, you just follow this way.

• Because their is next to zero convincing evidence of God (s) existence, belief in God is based on faith not fact.

• If God is in all of us does that make him bisexual?

• Haha interesting question.

• Some people myself included live based on knowledge and not feelings or faith.

• It makes no sense to me how anyone believes in a god they have zero proof of.

• I can see how that would make you think so, but is there not a single thing you believe that has no proof?

• I am not in the mood of argue with infidels.

• Lol you're starting a big post..

• Because life already fucked me enough times to make me believe there's such thing as a god -.-

• Why are you not accepting of other people's beliefs?

• What made you think I'm not accepting of others beliefs? I'm genuinely asking why people don't believe in God, and will accept whatever answers they provide..

• Because the world is a fucked up place and we want to do our own thing

• Because it's just object for MANIPULATING people, sad.

• Well... different people, different views.