Is smoking weed a big thing?

My best friend told me she's smoked weed and I'm really worried about her going onto try more drugs. She would never do this kindof thing with me which is why she's only just told me , but I feel so protective over her because I feel like I don't know her at all anymore, because it seems like she's just doing it to fit in with her group of friends. Am I overreacting or should I be concerned? Is weed dangerous?

Most Helpful Guy

• Its different for everyone. I used to smoke maybe 2-3 times a week in high school and I was okay. But no matter what people say it makes it somewhat easier to try other drugs. I knew there were some drugs I would never try still though like meth, heroine etc... however I did tray cocaine, various pills, and peyote. But now in college I don't do any drugs except smoking maybe once every other month or something (when I know I have nothing going on the next day with school or work) and drink occasionally but nothing else. Its not something to be really worried about unless they start excessively using, or need to smoke to function in school, work etc. Then I would start to worry. Some of my friends were very caught up in marijuana and now smoke 3-4 times daily, and work and gas stations and fast food restaurants with no indication of leaving, and yet want handouts and money for jobs they don't do! Its a slippery slope... From your story don't worry :) just some mild experimentation.

• Hey thanks for the MHO :)

What Guys Said 11

• weed can be enjoyable if you know the limits. they can lead to harder drugs but not necessarily. i smoke weed occasionally, but have never gone to harder drugs. it depends on how pushy the people are she is hanging out with... if possible smoke weed WITH her once just so you can say youve had the experience, and then just keep an eye on her. Weed can be a gateway drug , but not necessarily.

• Weed is not dangerous unless she smokes too much. Also, it doesn't mean she'll be taking other more dangerous drugs, unless she's doing it to fit with her friends, cause then they could get her to do more drugs since she's easy to manipulate.
    You don't have to worry as long as she smokes with moderation.

• Weed is not dangerous. Been smoking it since i was 15. You can't overdose from it, and as far as i know, it hasn't led me to do any other drugs. The smoke however is obviously not good for the lungs.

• I feel the longer you wait to do it, the better. I feel like kids who start smoking or drinking at an early age fall into this careless pattern where they try more things and don't really consider how to manage their time with it. I started freshman year of college, I've yet to do anything that involves snorting or injecting, I've also avoided any kind of pills. I will say alcohol tends to be the thing that makes people much more careless and willing to try different things, I was pretty drunk one night and almost did coke. With pot, I am very self conscious about everything I do and would be scared to try anything unfamiliar.

• Yes it is it makes you look like a zombie if you do it too much and you become ugly. It ruins your health and your teeth, your stamina, and endurance. People want to legalize it because it is, one of the best feelings ever, I smoked it twice, it's simply amazing!!! But now people do it to look cool more. Everyone does it. My friends sister is 13 years old and she does weed. All ages, even little kids. My boss at work, my university prof, everyone!!! No matter how good it feels, you're health is more important than anything.

• I smoke a bit now and again, I think it totally depends on the person and the crowd. Some people turn into stoners who smoke weed and get nothing done. Some people go on to take harder drugs. Others do it for a while and give up. Others like me just do it occasionally.

• I agree with this. I did when I was bored in high school but once I got into college I rarely ever do it... some people get way into the lifestyle though.

• @NovaLS yeah, it's possible to do weed responsibly just as it's possible to drink alcohol responsibly. I think people who buy into the lifestyle are usually the lazy type! lol

• If in moderation, it's alright

• Not bad at all.

I am in a mood to get MHO and this lousy advice is gonna give me

• As long as it's normal weed she should be ok

• I think with certain people in certain crowds it can lead to other drugs but most like no. I do however believe that weed should be smoked after the brain is fully developed and mature. After the age of 24 or 25 would be a safer time to smoke it.

• Well It's far less harmful than alcohol, but as someone who has smoked weed everyday for close on 8 years, it definitely can have negative effects. As something done on a non regular basis, it isn't a problem at all.

What Girls Said 8

• Weed itself isn't a big deal, and it doesn't necessarily lead to using other drugs. What you should be concerned about perhaps is who she is hanging out with. If she's started hanging out with a bunch of people who do other drugs, then you should talk to her about that, because peer pressure can push people to do things they otherwise wouldn't. But if she's just smoking a bit of weed here and there, don't worry about it. Telling her you're worried about it will probably just come off as possessive or controlling and push her away.

• I suppose I should ask how old you are. If you're like 13, then yeah that's pretty young to be getting into weed and alcohol and stuff... but if you're in high school it's pretty normal to be experimenting a bit.

• She's 16 haha

• Weed isn't that dangerous... it is against the law and yes it can lead to using other drugs. Weed is actually use to cure or help with some cancers (the doctors recommend it like as a tea or something) go and do research on the bad affects on weed. My ex was smoking weed coz he had stress with work and etc and almost everyone in their office smoke weed... and then he met this one guy from his work (manager assistant) he came out of a rehab for using drugs and he went and live there with him coz he was new in town and had no place to live and new at work and my ex felt bad for him but then... the guy got him in using crystal meth and smoking normal cigarettes and drinking too... so yeah if she meet and get in with wrong friends yeah she will get into using other drugs... helo her while you can... remember weed makes you relaxed and calm you down and makes you feel amazing so you get addicted to the "feeling"... the best of luck xx

• I don’t know about weed.. even my guy does that and i totally hate it. I wan him to stop but when i caught him once. He make excuses. Its hard for me to make him stop. I think you should try stop her or threaten her that u will also start taking weed and if she cares about u then she won't let you.. if she doesn’t then u shouldn't care as well tbh.

• A lot of my friends have taken it up.. there isn't much you can do but stay out of it yourself and try to talk to her about it. Stay supportive (not of the weed) too.

• I don't think it is if she's sensible about it. One of my ex-boyfriends got me to start smoking years ago, I don't do it very often at all (2 or 3 times a month) and never tried any other drugs. It'll screw you up if you do it too much but so does alcohol, otherwise it's safe.

• I don't think its that big of a deal!

• I don't think weed in itself is a bad thing, it's her motive I would be worried about. If she's doing it to "fit in" it's slightly concerning, but if it's just for fun and to mellow out then that's chill

• It makes you dull and gives you several neurological problems. It also causes lung cancer. Yes, weed is bad for you. It kills your brain cells.