Guys, can you please explain cars to me and what I should look for?

Like what the hell does all of this mean? Its gonna be my first car by the way

15

Most Helpful Guy

• Assuming it was a typo and it doesn't actually have 1,502,363 miles on it (I'm guessing it's closer to 150,000 miles) I'm not sure I'd buy a 6 cylinder with that many miles on it, but I buy cars for long term use. Providing the asking price and option details would be helpful in determining whether it's a good value or not. You can use sites like http://www.kbb.com to determine a basis for negotiation. Using the base model with standard options, with 150,000 miles, in very good condition (most people over-estimate their vehicle's condition when trying to sell it) in the Atlanta area, the estimated value is approximately $3,800. Any more than that and I'd suggest walking away from the deal. For that money, I can buy a decent Ford Crown Victoria with bit fewer miles on it.

What Guys Said 14

• That car is ten years old. It has allegedly done a million and a half miles, which is either them typing it wrong or me reading it wrong. Cars that do that sort of distance typically make the news.

Pontiacs are not made any more - so you will be increasingly reliant on aftermarket parts to maintain it. Though it might share some with the Chevy Malibu, this won't extend to bodywork which is something you probably will damage as a new driver.

Do you have any friends or family who know cars? Ask them to go with you.

Find the owner's forum for the G6 and see if there's a sticky thread advising what to look for if people are buying, and what sort of faults people talk about most often.

You can hire an inspector to come and check the car over and give you their professional appraisal.

Go and see more than one G6, so you can compare them.

It's a decent first car. At that sort of age and for that sort of money, the condition of the individual car starts to become more important than the make or model.

• I don't think it would be a great idea to buy a car off Craigslist. A bicycle, maybe.

For a first car, for a young woman mainly driving short distances, go for reliability and ease of maintenance. Toyota Camry or Corolla and Honda Civic spring to mind, but then again they spring to mind for everyone, so they're quite in demand as used cars.

Main advice: Check out Consumer Reports (at your library maybe). Then look for the top makes and models on online price comparison sites for used cars. That's the best starting point for actually finding a car you might buy. Then once you've found a car you're interested in, find a mechanic you can trust, maybe by asking friends, family and your extended network (especially at church, where people will be motivated to see you find the right professional). Never buy a car without having a mechanic check it out.

There are also free or low-cost alternatives to Carfax, where you can get relatively complete service and crash records for vehicles. Mycarfax. com and vinaudit. com are two of them (which I've never used, but there are many such websites).

Good luck. :)

• I used Craigslist to sell my first car...

• Well if she were buying from you, that would be different.

But then you wouldn't necessarily need CL.

• Those miles don't seem right. Far too many the car would have been worn out way before then.

Anyway when buying a car look at how many miles the car has done and how much wear the car has for that many miles. For example if someone tries to say a car has done 30 thousand miles but has tears in the seats, the seats are half collapsing, there is lots of wear on the pedals and it does not start easy they would all be signs the millage is not genuine.

Start the car and look at the exhaust for smoke. Black smoke and the car is running to rich (too much petrol for the amount of air) an blue smoke and the car is burning its own engine oil. Remember cars will always produce steam, especially on a cold start and in cold weather conditions. It is natural for a petrol burning engine to produce some steam.

Open all the car doors and shut them to ensure they all shut with a solid thump.

Inspect the body work of the car so you know what damage has been done to the body work before you buy it. Look out for rough areas in the body work as that can but not always represent the car has had rust problems in that area before.

Get someone that knows about cars to check the fluids in the car. How dirty the engine oil is, how old brake fluid is etc etc.

You can get an inspection done on the car. There are companies that do this, if the person selling the car is not open to you doing this at your cost then walk away and don't buy the car.

• 2006 Pontiac G6 - new model to replace Grand Prix/Grand Am. Pontiac is cheapish to repair/maintain but also not very reliable. And Pontiac went out of business 4 years later so...

Excellent condition: look at the pictures. If you can't see every angle of the car, ask him if there's any exterior/interior damage. Just in case.

6 cylinders: 6 cylinders in the car, the least is usually 4, fast sports cars and most trucks usually have V8s. That's one good thing about this car though: it's fast. 0-60 in about 6 seconds.

Odometer is how many miles it has. I doubt it has 1.5 million so he probably accidentally put on that 3 at the end.
    I don't know why he says the car

Automatic means you don't have to shift every gear.

Hope that helped a little.

• Get a Corolla
    More Reliable
    Last Longer
    Saves gas
    Cheaper insurance
    People are less likely to steal.

• Well first I would have to ask what you feel a car needs for your life style, I mean do you drive long distances, are your roads bumpy, do you shop a lot etc? that would help narrow it down.

• I just need to get to school and back

• Then I would just recommend a cheaper used car, something that looks decent and runs good.

• It means it has four wheels

• that has to be a joke. that car has over a million miles on it...

• A million and a half miles? Wait hello what? That hasn't disintegrated yet?

• I know! Holy smokes! Mine's coming up on 400k and I thought it had a lot.

• Toyota Camry, its part Lexus and almost maintenance worry free. That's what I want my nieces to drive.

• Do not get this car. 10 years old with over a million and a half miles, good lord.

• Get Hennessey, Lamborghini, Bugatti or Ferrari.

• If you're buying a used car the most important thing you can do before buying is have a mechanic check it out and do a compression test on the engine.

I did this once and the mechanic told me there was a misfire in the engine. It cost $100 for him to check it out but it saved me thousands.

I'm just sayin.

• That car has been driven 500 miles a day, every day since it was built. That's a hell of a commute.