What is the myth behind wearing a hijab/purdah?

What is the relevancy of it? Why would you (muslim girls) practice it if it is something very illogical? Why do women have to cover themselves up.. Or do you follow it just because it is something coventional?
.
just curious :/

Most Helpful Guy

• Apparently it was developed since muslim men had (have?) testosterone in their heads instead of brains and common sense and couldn't keep themselves from raping women on sight, therefore veil was introduced in order to at least somewhat hide the beauty of a woman, therefore somewhat decreasing chances of some man suddenly having testosterone detonating in his head.

What Guys Said 4

• If you ask me, if muslim men don't want to commit a sin then they should cover up their own eyes, NOT women.

• Islam believes it is a symbol of respect to the women

• I don't have to say a lot cos @Candy12345 already said, watch that video, and hope it helps

• They wear it because it's seen as a privilege for people to see their face and it's a beautiful thing reserved for people they really want to see it. I think.

What Girls Said 1

• Because it is supposed to protect the woman. This video proves it. No man looks at her when she is covered, but when she isn't covered the men catcall her. http://youtu.be/mgw6y3cH7tA

• That is so crazy!! Now I understand.

• Irony is, all muslim countries literally suck but atheist countries (Sweden, Norway, Finland) are the most welfare countries in the world. Also in those countries, you can dress up or walk naked in the middle of the street and no one even looks at you.

• @xylem that's good for those countries. I don't really care. this question is about why the hijab is supposed to be worn, not about what country is the best country in the world to be naked in.