Does shyness = lack of confidence?

If you are a shy person that mean you are not confident.

Agree or no?

Most Helpful Guy

• Im shy but confident. In big groups of people I don't know, or even in situations where there are more people that I dont know then I do, it takes me some time to open up. If I have something I can really contribute, I'm confident enough to say it, but often shyness makes it hard to even think of things to say

I think thats the biggest distinction for me. Shyness is like subconscious, it blocks off some social functions when you are in a certain environment. You become more introverted in the moment, and have a harder time relating/adding to the conversation

While confidence is in a big way conscious. You are confident in yourself, and you are confident in your confidence, so when you DO have something to say, you don't allow your shyness to prevent words from leaving your mouth. Once you HAVE something to say, confidence kicks in

What Girls Said 6

• No. Shyness can be mistaken as a quiet person who just doesn't have anything to say at the moment, or someone who isn't used to opening up to other people

• Totally not agree, of course it can be, but most of the time shy people aren't shy at all anymore when you know them for a longer time. Shyness does not need to be a lack of confidence, but it can be.

• Not at all. I'm very confident but also extremely shy in some instances.

• Not necessarily for everyone... for me, yes.

• Yeah definitely 😞😏

• No it just means you are shy

What Guys Said 8

• No, I don't think there is a connection between the two. Shy people can be confident but they don't show it, either they don't know how to show it or they don't think they have to show it.

• Not necessarily,

Shyness = lack of a social skill which is the ability to be comfortable about the people you don't know or people you have met for the first time.

• I disagree = You can still be confident when yoi are shy

• Commonly it is, but not always.

• Yes, in many ways.

• Agreed 100%

• I'm a cocky motha fucka at times and yet I'm still quit and shy.

• There is shyness and there is social reticence. I used to commonly be taken for shy because i like to completely understand a social situation before I step into it. I used to commonly be taken for arrogant for the same reason. I lost track of the number of people who have come up to me and said "when I first met you I thought your were shy/arrogant, but you really aren't like that at all".

When people don't know what to make of you they project onto you from their own psyche.

• Until you said "completely understand a situation" you just explained a big part of my psyche that I completely forgot about. I totally forgot thats a big reason that I don't talk/tell jokes until I understand everyones mood/humor and the vibe of the area. I totally just answered this without remembering that big part of the equation. Good points