How old do you think planet Earth is?

Simple question.

• 4.54 billion years
  • 6,000 years old
  • I think its a different age (please say)

Most Helpful Guy

• Earth 4.54 billion years old
    Moon 4.527 billion years old
    Milky Way Galaxy 12.8 billion years old
    Universe 13.82 billion years old. A few years ago it was thought to be 13.73 billion years old but new discoveries changed that figure slightly. Turns out it's around 100,000,000 years older than we previously thought.

I love how we constantly refine our knowledge.

What Girls Said 40

• Whatever Google says.

• The worst are the people who believe it's 2015 years old tbh..

• i think its really old!!!
    troll.me/.../too-old-not-yet-thumb.jpg

• Old enough to have life. I had an old slice of cantaloupe on my dresser once and it grew life. I have to say although the lifeforms were primitive, they left me somewhat amused yet disgusted. That day my mom beat the shit outta my little ass and made me grab that maggot infested piece of sad excuse for a shitty ass fruit with my bare hands and made me throw it away. The Earth is old.

• "That day my mom beat the shit outta my little ass and made me grab that maggot infested piece of sad excuse for a shitty ass fruit with my bare hands and made me throw it away."

Well, that was intense.

• When people think it's 6,000 years old I can't help but laugh

• I would laugh except I know these people were raised to believe that and will raise their kids the same way lolo

• Yeah that is funny, the dinosaurs date back to 600 million years, they would have ate everybody if it was only 6,000 years ago and we have proof they existed

• The earth is over 4 billion years old. What a lovely hag :)

• Geez I don't know what ur talking about she's 6000 years old, because god said so. Praise the naked wizard!

• Oh my gawd, yes. All those things. My daughter said she was gonna bring them to bring them to the old folks home this weekend, but that was 7 years ago. @PeachSunset

• Scientific consensus is 4.54 billion years old from the geological record, yeah? Let's go with that.

• From what people have studied about it. They figured it's about 4.54 billion years old. Which the sun is like 4.5 billion. So then in about 5 billion more years the sun will implode and probably take the earth with it.

• I could agree with that 😊

• @Nice_Guy_Last I knew about the fact the sun won't have such a violent death. Which is why I didn't use super nova. But I guess Implode is still to strong of a word to describe it.

• Well, an implosion necessarily means a supernova will happen when referring to the death of a star, because any other time we have observed an implosion, a supernova resulted. But I get what you are saying.

• Billions of years old

• Only God knows

• Oh lawdy the fact that some of the other buttons were hit truly depresses me.

• Younger than God

• I'm sorry, i'm too busy laughing at the 19 dumb asses.

• 4.54 billion years old. I love the Earth, I don't care how old it is as long as it doesn't vanish and stays in space :) <3

• gazillion of years!

• I can't even keep track of my own mother's age, and now you're asking me how old the planet is? As a rule, if it's pre-beanie babies, I don't know

• I number humans will never know.

• 4.54 billion

• It's very old. Lets leave it at that. Mind you, 6000 is not close to old. I mean very very old.

• Most Christians do not believe the world is 6000 years old or 20 000 years old etc... To suggest that they do is slander.

• I am sure this is true, but when every christian you talk to about this says this, it can look a little silly... the only reason people think all Christians think this way is because those who do are so loud and outspoken about it.

• Lemme try and clear things up...
      There is actually a thing that is acceptable in Christian belief (well, as far as I know) called "Young Earth Creationism." This basically states for Christians who believe in it that god made the earth 10,000 years ago or so with a literal interpretation of the bible.
      Otherwise, there is "Progressive Creationism," which is the belief god made the earth in billions of years. This is a non-literal interpretation of the bible (each day in the eyes of god could be actually thousand of years etc.).

So, as far as I know, both are considered acceptable. Christians can believe whichever one they want without having conflict with the dogma of their faith. It just starts getting into sketchy ground when you go into Theistic Evolution theory. So I don't think there is any Christian slander or anything going on here.

@523206720 @ccp16 @Maverickj @Asker @VonHoffer @GirlScoutsRevenge Uhh I think that is everyone?

• Learn how to correctly use the word slander. The misuse takes away all your credibility in an otherwise accurate statement.

• 4.5 billion years old

• I think it's really old.

• a gazillion billion years old

• There are many different theories out there, but I just like to rely on the theory that it's old.

• its very old alright i did geoligy when i was at school i was inteaged how or what caused earthquacks and how volcanoes worked

• I'm a young earth creationist, so no more than 10,000 years old.

• Interesting, what leads you to this answer?

• For one, it says so in the Bible, and I believe that the Bible is the word of a god who can't lie.

Two, I've studied up on the origin of man, and I've seen different models, I've seen different explainations for the different models, but the only one that has been 'proven' to me, (as well as science can ever be proven,) is that a supreme creator created the world. Evolution has too many variables for my tastes.

What about you?

• Awesome @PhantomLights!!! I love your answer!

• In the billions haha.

• 45 million :D lmao!

• Al Gore might not agree, but I think the earth has gone through various stages, where all living things, people, plants etc have been eliminated, then life begins again, so with that said, the current cycle could/might be around 6000 years, but if you add up all the cycles the plants has gone through it is likely in the millions. Thus the dinosaurs and other fossils that have been found.

• Thank God only 6% said 6000! I'm really happy to see that!

• More from Girls
    10

What Guys Said 73

• Fundamentalist Christians may think it's only 6k, but that's stupid. Pretty obvious the world is billions of years old. C'mon I'm a Catholic and know this.

• The whole presumption of long ages is based entirely on the idea that, given enough time, anything can make itself into anything else. 1 / 10^17B odds though. You don't "know" anything. You were merely spoonfed dogma that was never proven. If Earth were billions of years old, it would have originally had a magnetic field as powerful as a pulsar. Physically impossible. Your myth has been busted for decades, yet the dogmatists for Long Ages never quit. Because their dogma is too politically and philosophically critical for advancing their self-serving agendas.

• Wasn't it 12 000 years?

• The King James Bible started being written in 1604 and was completed in 1611. So the earth is only about 400 years old.

http://i61.tinypic.com/28i6ssk.png

• I think she's legal, if that's what you're asking.

• Latest look at Mitochondrial Eve reveals 6100-6200 years of age, not 10,000 as previously alleged. Prior age appears to be part of an attempt to make data fit with a long ages worldview.

• Why do you ask? the debate only started around the late 1800s by a few nut jobs and only recently came to be better known because said few nut jobs have better access to media. For the vast majority of history every one knew the planet was incredibly old even relious people.

• The ammount of religious people who downvote the correct answers is amazing.

• Estimates put it at about 4.54 billion years old. A very small minority of the world's 2.6 billion Christians actually believe it is less even since the Dover trials of the 70s that began it.

However. .. quantum physics makes things a little more tricky then we think. Reality as a whole may not be what we think it is. Heck, there was a possibility that some things were made looking like they were older then they were with the composition to match and we'd be non the wiser

• I'm a Christian, but I know that it would be stupid to believe that the Earth is only 6000 years old.

• (in agnostic or something, but you're my hero)

• Call yourself a Christian.

• He's allowed to be Christian and not believe in the earth being only 6000 yearss old. Cause that doesn't make sense. How does that make him any less Christian? @VonHoffer

• You see this world? It is old, very very old. It is too old that you can't even imagine. Too old, uber super old (don't know).

• I'm am SO HAPPY only 8% of people think the planet is 6000K years old... I mean, I'm disappointed it's that high. But small victories. It could be way worse.

• Why do you what others think the age of earth is? First off, prove that it's 6000, 10,000, 6 billion or any other number... you can't. This is one of those things where we'll never know the real answer

• Well if you wanna get technical, but you can basically consider it a fact... I mean, science is a thing... science gives us a pretty reliable look into the universe.

• Definitely not 6000 years old.

• It's hard to predict the exact age but billions of years.

I don't believe that Christian 6000 years stuff.

• We don't know the exact time, God created the earth in six days, and on the seventh day he rested !

• google says 4.54

• 4.49-4.59 Billion years

• I vote 2015 plus whatever BC comes to mind

• The general scientific consensus, which is admittedly not a perfect scientific absolute.

Interestingly, it isn't only small estimations of Earth/the universe's age (like Judeo-Christian Creationism) that defy the scientific consensus. The Church of Scientology's doctrine states that Incident I occurred some four quadrillion years ago, about 300,000 times longer than the current scientific estimation.

• 69,000 Years...

You are welcome

• It's 4.5 Billion years old (that's what physicist say). Travel back in time to know when and how it was created.

• I don't know about you, but my world is about 24.25 years, to be exact.

• I say around 7000.

• In accordance with the current Big bang theory, I would suspect the earth is 4,54 billion years old. It becomes a heavy conjecture looking back in time at around 1 billion years, though. There is no physical evidence the Earth has existed for 2 or 3 or 4 billion years, but that would conflict the age of the universe. So the logical conclusion is the earth is 4,5 b years old.

• Who the fuck knows?

• And who the hell cares? It's not like the earth is going to die after getting old lol

• Dude how do you know the planet earth is 4.5billion years old?
      Because some scientist told you?

I think science has become another form of religion almost like a belief system in itself, it's foolish because many people don't even question science and just take in everything scientists say as fact

• I believe it because these are things you can test and predict unlike in religion.

If you're curious how scientists almost unanimously agree on the age its due to radiometric dating of lead in minerals. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_Earth

• I definitely remember it being there last Tuesday, so it's *at least* that old, and probably a little older than that even.

• since the dinosaurs were president :p

• Lool at the people who said 6,000. xD

• Quite old at least several billion years old.

• 2.5 billio

• More from Guys
    43