How big a percentage of the population do you think really thinks and forms opinions for themselves?

In real life and on websites like this I often come across people that have an opinion about something but that opinion is often not their own opinion. They did not really think about it. It is just something they've read or heard somewhere or just follow an opinion just because it's the popular opinion. Often they can't even explain why they have that opinion.

Most Helpful Guy

• Good question. Hard to say.

The one time I served on a jury, it was horrifying, because it became clear during deliberations that most of the people there had no real critical-thinking skills. Having had that experience, it was frightening to think of what it would be like to actually be the defendant in a jury trial.

It's hard to answer your question but I'd say maybe 10-15% of humans have very good critical-thinking skills and are capable of formulating cogent opinions based on careful, thoughtful consideration of evidence and experience.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• I'd say it's about 5%. Most people are emotional/traditional thinkers.

• https://xkcd.com/610/

All of us do. We just like to tell ourselves we're the only ones because it makes us feel superior.

• NO, I disagree. I sometimes even think that people don't like to think for themselves. At least that is what I have seen in my time in the army.

• Trust me, everybody has their own unique thoughts and you have no idea what's going through their heads.

Especially in the military, conformity is highly encouraged, so peoples actions make it appear as if they're vapidly moving with the herd. In reality, the majority of people are consciously aware of it, and just understand that stepping out of line isn't worth the trouble.

• 3σ or 99.73%