Why is white-on-black crime an outrage, but black-on-white and black-on-black crime barely registers in the media even though they're more common?

It seems that any incident involving white people committing crimes against black people turns into a national incident that draws comparision to lynchings and incidents of the past, but crimes committed by black people against white people and other black people barely even garners cursory attention? You hear all these activists chanting "black lives matter" in Ferguson over one death, but no one says anything when 8 black people are killed by other black people in Chicago over a two-day period. This seems completely hypocritical to me. It just seems like race-baiting, like these activists are waiting for anything that looks like white racism so they can spring into the finger-pointing and moral pontificating they seem to enjoy.

Updates:
What some of you have said is absurd, which is that a crime committed by a white person against a black person is more "special" because blacks are a protected minority group. All I have to say to this is that some of y'all need to start getting your from sources other than your uncle Lamar.

0|0
10|14

Most Helpful Guy

• Easy. Because the current way of looking at it is that ONLY whites are racist devil slave masters and minorities are innocent and couldn't possibly be racist. White person kills a black person, here comes Al Sharpton, the family's lawyers and the media.

Anyone remember a few years back the black nurse who hit a white homeless guy with her car, drove home and parked the car in her garage with the guy hanging through her windshield. She went in the house, closed the door, and didn't call 911. She just left the guy to bleed to death in her windshield, other than going out to her garage a few times to check on his progress. She dumped the body the next day but evidence finally caught her. Oh, you DIDN'T hear about that? Because she was black, and her victim was white. Al Sharpton wasn't needed. Switch the races in this scenario and think about how it would have gone down THEN.

0|2
    0|0
    • Another good example was George Zimmerman, who killed Trayvon Martin. Agree with it or not, Zimmerman was found not guilty of murder. The media found it hard to come up with a way to get everyone all fired up about a white guy killing a black kid, but George Zimmerman's mother was Peruvian, so he wasn't considered "white." The media's way around that? They called Zimmerman a "white Hispanic," a term which has never been used before the trial, and I doubt it has been used afterward, either. The key is that the media and Sharpton use race-baiting about white on black crime to further their cause and line peoples' pockets. Black on black crime is MUCH more common than white on black. A 2013 study showed that black on white murder is more than double the rate of white on black murder. Draw your own conclusions.

• Sorry, should have read that the media had a hard time getting them all fired up about a guy who's mother was Peruvian, so they called Zimmerman a white Hispanic.

• Agree with it or not, Zimmerman was found not guilty of murder.
      Trayvon Martin. Agree with it or not, Trayvon Martin was found guilty of being black, being young, wearing a hoodie, buying soda after dark, resisting a citizen's arrest.
      [In general, a private person is justified in using non-deadly force upon another if he reasonably believes that: (1) such other person is committing a felony, or a misdemeanor amounting to a breach of the peace; and (2) the force used is necessary to prevent further commission of the offense and to apprehend the offender. The force must be reasonable under the circumstances to restrain the individual arrested. This includes the nature of the offense and the amount of force required to overcome resistance]

Trayvon Martin will not do it again, thanks to Zimmerman.
      Zimmerman got arrested again, time after time, after time.
      Justice was rendered, Florida is a safer place. No more hoodies after dark.
      [End of sarcasm=OFF]

What Girls Said 10

• That fsu football player who punched that white girl is all over the news. Monoracial crime always makes the news. Stop playing victim and acting like the media is out to get whites

3|3
    0|2
  • Because that's what media wants. They report on those issues and make them major and pull the puppet strings. People don't go further than what media tells them. So when they only report on white on black crime and make it a major deal, of course that's what people are going to y'all about. Crime is crime and it is wrong regardless of what color the person committing it is.

0|3
    1|0
  • If the white-on-black crime is a random mugging then it is simply 'a crime'. If the crime is racially motivated then it is a hate crime because African Americans are a protected class and 'white people' are not. If a black-on-white crime is racially motivated it isn't prosecuted as a hate crime because of this the sentence is lighter.

0|1
    2|1
    • "African Americans are a protected class"... what rock have you been living under? Lol

• LOL haha funny. I mean under "Hate Crime" legislation by way of the 14th amendment not in reality. I was just trying to quick note the legal doctrine behind what the asker seems to be confused on.

• Okay, this makes more sense! Fair enough.

• Just reflective of what is most likely to cause moral panics and deflect away from actual issues in the world. Some years back, if a black person so much as looked at a white person, that was reported on. The idea of hate crimes against blacks was laughable and no one cared about it, so it wasn't reported then. Things have changed. White on white crime is prevalent. In fact, crimes against those within the same race are the most bloody common, in general- so I don't see why one should be reported over the other. I think people should realise that the goal is to cause unrest and tension amongst the mass pop aand and every time the news starts to report some new trend, you should question what the fuck we should really be worrying about behind the scenes.

0|0
    0|0
  • because anyone not white in a "minority" so they call it a hate crime.

0|2
    0|0
  • Disagreeing is fine.
    "Some of y'all need to start getting your sources from other than your uncle Lamar"
    Not fine.

1|0
    0|0
    • Murder is murder regardless the ethnicity of the victim. Crime doesn't become more heinous because the race of the perpetrator was white.

• Show All
    • "Go ask anyone".. because all people have the same experience. Because ALL black people think the same, do the same, are the same. I'm not commenting on this anymore.

• I'm tired of the assumption that all white people are somehow privileged by the fact of our skin color, and that we all had ancestors who were equivalent to DiCaprio's character in Django Unchained. All white people aren't alike, either, and we get tired of hearing about how privileged and racist we all are by default.

• Its not race baiting and the ones they make a big deal about are racial issues

3|0
    0|4
  • why do you leave out white-on-white crime altogether when that is far and away the most common of all?

1|0
    0|1
    • Because no one cares when white people do each other wrong. It's a non-issue, and no one riots in the street when white cops kill white criminals who attack police.

• This was a great question. No one wants to address it. It is the liberal media who won't report it. I think it is about selective outrage. Watch tommy sotomayor selective outrage on you tube.

0|1
    0|0
  • Where were u when Jodi Arias went on trial? Or Scott Peterson, that Jordan guy that killed those two girls, the guy that kill all those people at the boston marathon, the guy that kill all those guys at the movie theatre, the guy that kill those children at that school, etc. They got ton of media coverage.. like tons. black on black crimes gets tons of media coverage too. Just this week the first thing I see when i go on the internet is the murder in chicago. didn't michelle obama go to one of the victim funeral? she did

1|0
    0|1

What Guys Said 13

• Because drama and controversy. We all know that black-on-black crime is more prevalent, but when it's white-on-black crime you can question if it was caused by racism, and we all know that anything related to racism is gonna cause controversy, and media loves controversy and drama.

0|3
    0|0
  • Black on Black crimes do receive attention, but only at the local level. And the black community do protest against black on black crimes but once again it's only covered by the local new stations The major news companies like Fox, CNN, NBC, MSNBC, CBS and etc care about one thing and one thing only and that is bringing in viewers. They don't care if it requires bending the truth or reaping the benefits of others misfortunes.

Same race crimes don't get attention at the national level, because let's face it, same race crimes are so common that they're no longer news worthy. But a crime that's interracial is easier to capitalize on because you can use the "r" word (racism) which has always been a surefire way to spark outrage in America. Race is such a sensitive topic to talk about in America, especially in the black community. The media knows that showing a crime of a white on black crime will elicit a more outrageous response from the black community because most blacks can related to being discriminated upon because of their race and because of past racism in this country.

Black on white crimes don't elicit such a response because most whites have never been exposed to racism so they can't really relate to it. Hell a huge chunk of White Americans (Republicans usually) believe racism no longer exist in America and the news outlets know this which is why they don't even bother about reporting black on whites crimes because most whites are simply going to brush it off as an "unfortunate incident" and go on about their day.

If it doesn't create controversy then it ain't news.

0|0
    0|0
  • If black lives really mattered, the South Side of Chicago would be a permanent protest zone.

This happens because news outlets in our country are for-profit enterprises that are competing in a vast and crowded marketplace for the coveted viewer, click, or page view. It's all about generating interest, and nothing sells like controversy, especially racial controversy. Don Henley said it all right here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDBOwPORHGU

0|2
    0|0
  • Funny how some white Americans suffer some minor inconvenience, and want to equate that to the systematic, socio-economic discrimination that black Americans face every single day, to this very day.

#Soft

1|0
    0|1
    • I know @Pe3ttyBr0wn agrees

• Show All
    • I don't care what that boy says. He's racist af and you can tell the ones who are bc they get mad anytime attention is brought to racism. Those are the same type of white folks who thought the media shouldn't have been reporting the civil rights movement back in the 60s. He only brings up immigrants because he wishes black people would quietly take bullshit with a smile

• @Pe3ttyBr0wn I've noticed that the default retort to any statements white people make about racial issues is for black people to toss around the word "racist" as if it were a beach ball at a rock concert. You use that word so much in so many different circumstances as an all-purpose negation that I'm not sure you even know what it means anymore.

As far as immigrants are concerned, I only mentioned them as a point of comparison with black people who act as though their lives are over at birth because their ancestors were enslaved in 1850 and marginalized in 1950. You're using the past as a crutch, a hand-waving rhetorical device to explain away the failures of today. Immigrants have fewer advantages than black people yet generally advance much quicker in society. My opthamologist's parents fled Vietnam on a raft with no money and very little English and their son owns his own medical practice. No one gave them anything or pitied them, and they face their own discrimination.

• Its less sexy news

0|1
    0|0
  • It mostly only sells because then they can get the racists and sjws all riled up and get more media attention. It sparks debate that is needed but usually sinks down to people saying blacks can do no harm of all they do is harm.

0|1
    0|0
  • Stop listening to the media, seriously. You do realize big name news companies are literally paid to report what others want?

0|0
    0|0
  • I couldn't possibly think of a reason why white people committing crimes and treating black people poorly could possible be a bigger deal in America.. like why would that ever historically strike a cord with people? Hmm..

0|0
    0|2
    • Oh, you're right, Jamaal shot Carter the other night because he was angry over the Dred Scott decision. Or was it the speech Faubus made in 1957? Yes, I'm sure that's why he did it.

• Because black people need something to blame their shitty culture on.

0|2
    0|1
  • So the response from these morons is that white on black crime is because of racism and black on white or black on black crime is just a crime of chance/opportunity?
    No racism in that thought process.

Fucking dummies

0|2
    0|0
  • Depends why the crime was committed. Most black on white crime and all black on black crime is not committed just because the black guy hates white guys or other black guys, more often because he wants money and doesn't care what color the victim is.

It's the same as a murder doesn't make much news if the victim was killed because he was sleeping with another guys wife but makes a bigger splash if he was killed to be eaten.

0|0
    0|3
    • If you don't think that there are black people in this world who harbor racial hatred toward white (or otherly hued) people, I own a bridge in New York I'd like to sell you.

• Show All
    • Funny you should say that.

• Well I'm glad to hear that the Mentalist is on the case.

• Because the media is full of dirty tricks - Tupac

1|2
    0|0
  • We have a black president

0|4
    1|1