Why do old people think they're not old?

And why do they get so offended if you think that they're old? Like 30-35 is middle aged and everyone I say that too gets so mad. It's so funny... Even my parents get mad.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm certainly not offended by your opinion, because it's just that; an opinion.

Strictly speaking, 30 years old wouldn't actually count as middle aged, unless the average life expectancy was only 60. In many developed countries, people can routinely expect to live into their 80's, and beyond. In that regard, you don't even reach the middle of you're life until your 40's.

Going with a more adjusted view of life, many people don't even really begin their adult life until their mid-20's, when you factor in college. They may not get their first real, "adult" job until they are 25. It would be kind of depressing to think of middle age coming on only five short years after you've really begun to live as a functional, independant adult.

I remember thinking the same way you did, when I was your age, but your views will probably change as you get older. It happens to most of us.

What Guys Said 10

• Because 30 isn't old when most people live to be 80. A lot of people get married and have kids for the first time in their 30s. Most of my dad's family life into their 90s.

I'm not even 1/3 through my working years, and there's retirement after that.

It seems old to you because you're a kid without perspective and the confines of the life of a 15 year old are very small.

• 30 to 35 is not middle aged in most countries. In most countries 40 is middle aged. In my country the average lifespan is just over 40 years.

• So 20 is middle aged?

• Over there?

• No sorry I mean in my country just over 80 years old is the average life expectancy.

• LOL I'm 62, so I guess I qualify as old. However, I still have more sex than I need, shoot handguns, catch venomous snakes, you name it. So I guess even though I am old by your youthful standards, I'm not TOO old.

• really!! .. why do some people write such stupid questions about stupid things? O. o

• 30-35 isn't middle aged but they certainly aren't in their golden years

• Noone likes to get old, so when they are told that are not anymore the 25 years old hotties they lash out

• That's true, they just can't handle the truth

• Honest people are mostly hated. Just a note

• Middle aged is middle-aged, not old :)

• One simple word... Denial. They are scared to admit they are getting old

• Same reason young people don't like being called children and seen as immature, except getting old is more bothersome you can always get old later when you're young but once people think you're too old then you're just old and it's never getting any better.

When you're actually there at 30 or whatever age, you'll still feel pretty much the same, except now there's these younger people that can't get over how old you are in relation to them.

• You're quite stupid aren't you

What Girls Said 10

• From your point it seems old but it is not.
    People live longer now and they seem younger. So I do not think 30-35 is middle aged.
    And it is normal they do not like to be called as old. Noone likes that. It is not a compliment for sure.

• You are right. The average age of life expectancy in most countries is around 80 years old.

• That is just wonderful really. I know how US system is. It is such a pitty.
      @Applefan1

• Yes well I strongly agree with the way the New Zealand system is. I believe access to good health care is something everyone has the right to.

• Well I always thought middle aged was 40's cause the average life span is around 80 years old in most countries.

• I'm the average age is 85 so that's not middle aged. 42.5 is middle aged not thirty. I think 30 is young there's still so much to do with your life

• they are cool.. old is just a word...

• Hahahaha no 40+ is middle aged.

• I would say 35-50 is middle then they're considered old but whatever. People get upset because they don't want to be seen as old and want to cling to youth.

• In my country the average life expectancy is 85, so I would consider over 45-50 middle aged.

• Do you really want to know why?
    It's for the same reason you think you're cool but you're still an immature child.
    I'm not offending you: it's just that as human beings we are conditioned to see things from our present perspective.
    At 15 you think you're cool but you'll see yourself as a kid 20 years from now.
    At 25 you're going to feel on top of the world, but only a few years later you'll realise you were not.
    At 30-40s you're still going to feel young, you're still learning so much, and even when your body tells you you might be ageing, you still feel you're improving.
    And that process pretty much goes on for a very long time, and it's very sad when you stop feeling young. You die inside when that happens!
    Feeling young is not about not being grey, but rather about seeing the future ahead of you, enjoying yourself, learning and improving yourself - physically, intellectually or spiritually.
    My grandma is 91 and she still thinks she's young - and in a sense, she still is - she still has future, her days are not "gone" - she still has things to see: me getting a phd, a grandson getting married, and probably a few great grandchildren to come!
    You'll not feel that 30-35 is middle-aged when you get there. I'm 31 and bought a few clothes at zara kids last week... and I'm still learning so much at many levels, my level is still so undefined and I'm still so free to choose what I want to become... I have so many challenges ahead...

• You're 15, so of course 30 seems old to you. Hell, I turn 23 soon and I bet even that seems old-ish to you. But just wait til you get to your 20s... you'll start thinking anything under 39 is still young.

• I guess by your standards I'm middle aged which means I'll only live until 66? :(