Should people serve jail time for "thought crimes"?

i just watched a documentary on youtube called "cannibal cop" where a cop was on an online fetish site describing how he wanted to rape and eat women. He never committed any crime but was charged and arrested by police on conspiracy to commit charges. What are your thoughts on this type of crime? I personally feel it is a valid reason to arrest someone as although it is a fantasy it could become reality at any time

• Thought crimes should result in arrest
  • Thought crimes should not result in arrest
  • Not sure

Most Helpful Girl

• Thought crimes should lead to monitoring.
    Our minds should be an anarchy. That's how they work best

• Then explain hitler

• @KidInk4 Hitler didn't just think of his crimes. He was quite proactive in committing them.

• @KidInk4 : Hitler didn't act alone. He was inspired. By the Serpent, Cain, Nietzsche, Heidegger, John Milton, Abe Lincoln (weirdly enough), Marquis deSade, Darwin, the Templars, Ernst Rohm, and others. They helped Hitler lay down the philosophical foundations necessary to undermine every church denomination in Germany except for the CLC. Even perverted Luther's teachings on the Governances into the "Two Kingdoms" argument we hear US churches preach today.

Everything he did, Obama is now doing similar. And similarly, the armies didn't get there by themselves. Someone had to plant the ideological seeds. Just as Nolan admitted in Inception. Humanism is what it is.

What Girls Said 4

• Prisons would be overrun and there would be nobody left to pay the taxes needed to run the prisons. We would probably all be in jail for one thing or another. I think saying that you will be doing a particular crime (like murder) should lead to a person being monitored very closely. Only when that plan is put into action should they be stopped and arrested. As far as saying he wanted to rape and eat women, this could be taken out of context. It's a fetish site. Many people talk about "rape" as a sex game. It's not true rape. It's fantasy. As far as "eating" a woman, that could mean that he wants to eat her out. Of course, I don't know the actual wording used I his conversation, but he can get out just on saying that it was a misunderstanding. I do think they jumped the gun in arresting him.

• Omfg no.
    I mean, just because you may think about committing crimes doesn't mean you're actually gonna do it. My mind just randomly likes to think up super fucked up things sometimes when its related to the subject but i'd never do it, it comes up in my mind like once but there's not any intentions. I mean people watch stuff like Law&Order and Breaking Bad and all that stuff on TV related to crime.
    So obviously, we're sometimes gonna think of "thought crimes"... its inevitable.
    The guy was just a sick pervert but he never harmed anyone.
    Thats seriously so invasive, like seriously? People can't even think up things, you get arrested for accidentally letting your thoughts run wild?

• He started planning how he would eat and kill victims. But insists it was all a fantasy... but if the opportunity arose he would be dangerous, no? I mean most people have crazy thoughts a lot i understand that but persistent thoughts of things like this that actually turn a man on... maybe monitoring these people is the answer

• Well, yes if it happens frequently and he's plotting, its pretty damn suspicious but if an evil thought pops up, it wouldn't really apply as illegal would it?

• you should watch the documentary.. very interesting and made me question what i thought of it. As i said, i think its an arrestable offence but only when they start to take action towards it like other people suggest. A couple of chats on an online fetish site not enough as you quite rightly say.

• Oh my god 1984 is coming true!

• Well yeah. Ever since smart TVs and the Kenect started recording everything you say and transmitting it to government run locations for analysis.

• Just like 1984.

What Guys Said 9

• I've seen that. I believe that if he didn't actually act he shouldn't be arrested or convicted of anything. However, I think that the "thought criminal" should be notified by law enforcement that they know what he's up to. This would likely prevent him from committing the actual crime.

• It depends, if they're motivating other people to commit a crime then yes, it should be punishable, but if it's just expressing a fantasy, I don't think it should, unless they show signs that they are actually going to commit the crime.
    It's like if you find some notes on a guy's desk that says it's planning to put a bomb in the white house. You just have his notes, and all the plan, but you have nothing else. Are you gonna risk it and wait till he blows the white house?

• I hear about woman wanting to get raped all the time
    Probably one question a week on GaG about her rape fantasy to be honest thoughts of cannibalism and rape are sickening

they should have gotten him professional help, not jail time, dude was crazy, but not a criminal

• I think they mean they want rough sex, they don't want to be raped

• The concept of arresting, jailing, and or fining people for what's in their head is a slippery slope. How can you prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" what is inside somebody's head? I am the ultimate authority of what I am thinking, and as their is no higher authority than me what I say must be taken as fact. So how do you convict? And if you can convict, are you prepared to defend yourself against an accusations of thouggt crime?

• If thought crimes were prosecutable, EVERYONE would be guilty of murder at some point in in their life lol.. Seriously

• For real. Lol.

• but a man who has a fetish for cannibalism and rape? So you would say let him continue until he actually commit a crime. Would you let that risk be taken?

• There are/have always been more closet-fetish rapists and pedophiles out there than you could even imagine.. And if you are under the assumption that every one of them is going to act on it, then you are mistaken. It is a small percentage that cannot handle/contain their problem. Many of these people lead very normal lives, and acknowledge their desires as a problem that they just have to deal with for the rest of their life. It's the ones that try to justify the desire that are at risk.

• That's not a thought crime. If someone says they're going to murder you, is that a thought crime? No, that's a threat and it can be acted upon legally, for good reason. If someone is planning a murder is that a thought crime? No, it's conspiracy to murder and is a real crime, for good reason. If someone is fantasizing about raping and killing women and saying how he wants to do it, nobody in their right mind would think he's in a mental state where it's safe for women if he's free. It would make no sense to do nothing about it. There may be instances where someone has a passing bad or violent thought where being convicted for it would be wrong, but this is much more than that.

Also, I would much MUCH rather people who fantasize about or plan murder or rape to serve jail sentences than someone who was caught using or owning drugs. Or downloading music illegally.

• 1984 by George Orwell read it

• They shouldn't be arrested. Should be taken to therapy or something.

• Don't they have punishments for that already, attempted murder? Attempted rape etc..

• Attempted means that they actually tried to do those things, but failed to complete the task. That's different then just thinking about it.