I'm going to start babysitting and I'm very nervous! What makes a good babysitter?

I will be babysitting two kids, a five and nine year old. I've babysitted before a long time ago with my sister, but this time I will be alone. I worry about what games and activites I could do with them and what I should do if they don't listen to me. They seem to be good, active kids.

Most Helpful Girl

• You should ask the kids what they want to do, don't force games on them but always try to include both of them in the activities so they don't feel left out. If they don't listen to you tell them the consequences of not behaving, like having to sit in the corner for 5 minutes or taking away the toy they're playing with. If they keep being naughty, do what you promised would be the consequence and keep yourself to it, no matter how much they cry or yell or whatever. You have to be strict but fair.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 6

• its gonna be alright
    just listen to the instructions of the parents (concerning meal time and so on )
    participate in whatever activities they are doing pay attention to what they like or not
    watch a cartoon with them
    don't curse

• I always negotiate and talk to them like adults rather than kids. It works for the most part, but if they don't listen after that I change my tone of voice and give them the mom glare and that usually does the trick.

• Try to be calm when you're with them and make sure you do what the parent wants you to do. Ask the kids what they want to do

• This is what I would not want my babysitter doing to my kids:
    -letting them do something just because I won't find out about it
    -cursing in front of them
    - teaching them something inappropriate or ill manner.
    - not following or doing what I said (thekids' routine)
    Etc

• lock them in different rooms..

• Don't treat them cruel, be nice to them, but not too nice.