Is university for free in your country?

If its not free how much does it cost?

• its free
  • its subsidised
  • you pay for it all
In my country Sweden its for free and also postgraduate studies

Most Helpful Girl

• Lucky you. Here in UK going to uni means earning yourself a big debt to pay back over your life time.

Accommodation - £7,000
    Tuition fees - £9,000
    Travel - can range between £3/4,000

Then there's books, food etc as well

• You think that is bad? try the US on... Having gone to school full time in both, having a fixed rate for school is great! I am $70,000 in debt with student loans... you are also much more flexible with loan repayments as well (unless this current gov has its ways...)

• I was wondering why included a 3-4000 pound travel fee! that is crazy! honestly, I would not go to the Uni if the accommodation was not bus or bike accessible for me.

• @ccp16 - I lived in student accommodation and had to pay £7,000 for that and because my accommodation was a bit far from my uni I used taxis so I ended up paying just under £2,000 for that

So long term wise commuting via train is better at least you manage to save £2,000

What Girls Said 19

• Nope, its really expensive in America. Many people have to take out student loans.

• I'm not sure if it is completely paid for by students or if the government covers a portion of the cost. The reason is my cousin studied at the University of Pennsylvania and their tuition WITHOUT RENT AND LIVING EXPENSES is $27 000 dollars a year. While Tuition at the University of Toronto is about $7000 - $10 000 a year and you get discounts if you are under the age of 21. I know U of T is a top school so I don't know why our tuition is cheaper then the University of Pennsylvania.

• Here you can take student loans. Basic tutoring cost is 9,000 per year, but then you have living costs and accommodation on top of that.

• media4.giphy.com/media/MA8BOGCdGy2LC/giphy.gif

The average is £9000 ($13815.09/€12564.12) year. Thats without accomadation, books and other supplies. Most people get a student loan.

• University here (America) can be ridiculously expensive :(

• For some people it is, for some people it isn't. Depends how well you did before and other factors.

• It's not free. There are public and private universities. The public ones are less expensive than the private ones.
    In a public university you pay approximately 1000 euros per year (1104,9 USD). In a private you pay something like 3000 euros per year (3314,7 USD).

• What country?

• Yes :)

• Portugal

• Unfortunately I gotta pay for it all :(((

• Well, depending on what college you go to the cost varies. Some universities cost a lot of money while others are less so. You can always take out student loans, but you will have to pay later.

• I have to pay about 12k-14k a year (in tuition/books) for school. Luckily, for me, my parents are poor so a lot of my tuition is covered with financial aid, and I also get good grades which means scholarships. I'm about to start my 4th/final year and I expect to graduate with about 8k in loans. So I'm over the moon about that lol.

• Nope in merica they try to take every penny you have. So you will be under a huge mountain of loans and debt.

• A public university here in Italy won't cost more than 2000 a year (most universities here are public). You have to pay for books too (which are quite expensive).
    However taxes in public universities can range from 0 to 2000 euros a year (it depends on how much money your parents earn, so if you're broke you can study for free)
    For private ones it's more than 8000 a year

• Here in America, taxes aren't as high so we have to pay a lot for colleges especially if its private, an ivy league school or religious.

• It used to be subsidized. You'd only have to pay back your loans after you finish, but not the subsidized part. Now that's changed and there's no longer a subsidy, only loans. Stupid ruling in my opinion.

• In most public universities is free, in others you won't pay more than 10 USD the semester; yet some students only go to waste time and those who really want to learn cannot go due to lack of spaces (there are entrance exams).

• That's awesome and you're lucky and no mine was around 25k in the US.

• It's subsidized here.

• Where I live you only pay about 10 USD the year.

• We do have free universities.

What Guys Said 22

• Sweden is fortunate it can still do the "free" model. But with a lot of other internal problems, I'll be surprised if there is a Sweden in 20 years.

Here in the States, the whole thing is a racket.

• Yes its good for now lol

• I wish I could say that about here. But between the revival of the German SA as the American SA (LGBT run wild) and the increasing infiltration of Mexican supremacists and Muslim Brotherhood infiltrations - as well as the head-in-the-sand mentality of far too many, things are getting pretty bad here. Fine details of German history are being scrubbed from our history books for a reason - so those wanting it here can't be called out on it. You can't call a spade a spade if you can't define a spade in the first place.

• I see the problem with the USA as more homegrown than outside influences I. e. those with their heads hidden

• It's not completely free but it's very cheap compared to the Britain or the US. Per semester a pay a fix tuition fee of about 800 dollars. However, the whole education system and lifestyle is also different in Switzerland. First of all, Universities in Switzerland are a type of education that not anyone can attend as it is the case in almost all other countries of the world. This is because we have a rather unique system called "dual system". After three years of high school (so at age 14-15), students have to decide what job they want to do later on (we give quite a lot of responsibility to kids already early on). about 80-85% of teenagers decide for an apprenticeship. In that case, they have to write an application and go to a job interview. If they are accepted, they go through a 3-year apprenticeship in which they learn whatever job they applied for (it can pretty much anything from being a cook or a landscape architect to banking). The teenagers earn a salary because they already work in the company (it's learning by doing basically) but they don't earn a full salary because they're still in the process of learning. Students who are academically interested and smart can take entry exams to a further education called "Gymnasium". Only about 1-3 students per class (20-25 people) eventually make it into a Gymnasium. In my class, I was the only one out of 5 people who tried the exam. If you pass the exam, you have a further 4 years of education. The students in Swiss Gymnasiums are 15 to roughly 19 years old, so like students in American senior high schools. But the level is more like something between American high school and college. At the end of the four years, you have to take a further final exam in all subjects. If you pass these final exams, you earn the official certificate that allows you to enter a University. So, while Universities in Switzerland are open to really anyone in terms of finances (even poor people can go to Uni), you have to be both smart and diligent to actually make it to Uni. Also, we don't have "good" and "bad" Universities. All Universities in Switzerland are public and they are all top-notch (2 of them are in the top 100 world wide). Finally, college students in Switzerland don't live on campus. We don't have any campuses in fact. Some people live with their parents but most students live in something we call Wohngemeinschaft or "living community". It's basically a couple of young people living in a large apartment and

• paying an equal share of the total rent. Every person has his own bedroom but everyone shares the kitchen, bathrooms and living room. Many people live like this together with their friends. It's a very nice way of living independently and still not living on your own. Some college students such as myself also move in an apartment with their girlfriend/boyfriend.

• When you are 15 in Switzerland, you are expected to know (or at least to think very seriously about) what you want to do later on in life in terms of career. High schools also offer career counselling services where you can go and they make you do this quiz and a psychologist has a talk with you to evaluate what you are interested in and what sort of job could fit you. Of course there are some people who change their mind later on anyway (though it's not so many I think). Most of them settle down for a different type of apprenticeship. For example a guy starts working in a bank but then realizes that he prefers working with his hands and starts an apprenticeship as butcher. Most kids at the age of 15 know whether they really want to do another 9 years of school (a BA is not worth much here, everyone who goes to Uni has to make at least an MA) or if they wanna start earning money. If however, you do really change your mind, there's something like Gymnasium but for adults (also 4 years).

• Good there is back up options and the focus on a diligent work force and the best thing young people can earn money at a younger age I admire this system

• America it definitely isn't free unless you get a scholarship.
    in America college is almost 100% business these days. some people can get private or government loans. some can get loans from the university, and some just pay for it out of pocket... there is a movement to get some amount of college subsidized or made free. there are programs now that allow a graduate to do service/volunteer work (with stipends) and those companies will pay off college debt after a certain amount of work (a few years maybe 2 or 3)... there has also been a proposed plan by Obama to make 2 year degrees at community colleges Free

• I wish, it's somewhat subsidized but most people take out a loan to pay for it.
    The cost varies per program but it's cheaper than in the US.

• University is never free, because buildings and supplies and salaries cost.

The question is, does everyone pay for university with high taxes, or do the people who attend university pay for their tuition?

• In the U. S. It depends on how affluent you are. You pay it all if you're in a certain income bracket. The poorer you are the less you have to pay and the better loans/scholarships/grants are offered to you.

Education in the U. S. Isn't free because our country doesn't collect taxes for it, which is a better system overall since people who don't want to go to university shouldn't pay taxes for those that do. Also, attending an in state university is quite inexpensive, my tuition is only about $8k a year including books. It's food, and room/board that make up most of the costs.

• $8k is reasonable so taxes in the us are not used to found higher education

• State taxes are, not federal. So in-state tuition is always like 1/3 the cost of out of state, since you're paying taxes to that state to find the university. Some universities are land grant universities and started out by the government selling land to fund them in the 19th century.

Private universities are always expensive since they aren't funded by state taxes. So in and out of state tuition is the same. Some private universities are $30k in tuition a year, but private universities almost always offer huge scholarships, like $10k-$15k so it can balance it out.

• It's free here in Scotland.

• No it's not. It's not bad I'm America if you look for cheaper schools. My most expensive semester was 3,500 dollars I think. And my cheapest semester was 2,000 dollars

• No but it's not that expensive

• No, not in the United Statees. It's kinda like post secondary education is an industry over here. Though there are grant, financial aid, and loans to help with that stuff if you qualify. Tbh that's the only way I could ever afford college.

• It depends on if you did well in High School. If you got really good grades you can get full ride scholarships. Otherwise it can cost a lot. It depends on the school. It costs more if you go to one outside of your state (here in the U. S.). Some can be as low as $12,000 a semester while others are up to $40,000

• $40000/per semester that's ridiculous

• freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)

• Nope... nothing is free in nigeria

• no and a good one is overly expensive.

• You have to pay for it all here, and be rich in order to afford it.

• Nope the government university u enter it for free but u only pay for the books

• No but we have free healthcare woop woop

• you either pay for it directly or through taxes, but it's never free...

• £9000-£12000 a year?
    Well I suppose it's fair since I don't have to pay for healthcare!

• I sss topper so i got scholarship. Else j gotta pay for education here

• I heard in New Zealand its free

• In the US it is very very expensive. You pay for it all unless you fall into a certain privileged status