Is anyone else bothered by not knowing significant chunks of history?

I was reading about stuff on Wikipedia and then came across the Battle of Pavia in the Italian War of 1521-1526 and had no idea about the Spaniards fighting the French in Italy then (and surprise.. surprise... France loses! SPOILER ALERT. ;)

Although truth be told this time period is not my strongest suit.

Most Helpful Guy

• As a historian, I think it's actually more important to understand the big picture, rather than knowing every single factual detail.

Of course, in order to understand the big picture you need to have some pretty good knowledge of the historical events. But, above that, you need to understand how economical, social, political and cultural changes operate through time, who are the subjects of those change, how they interact between themselves, how do you determine the causality of these changes and how they influence each other. To understand such things you need more than just knowing isolated events; you need a deeper comprehension of human society, and to dominate the basics concepts of other sciences like Economics, Sociology, Anthropology, Political Science, Psychology, Biology, Geography, Philosophy and others.

No one can know ever single detail about historical events. But it's surely interesting to research about them.

• What sort of historian?

• really drop. She disapproved by most of the population now, because of it and because of the financial crisis.

As for her friendship with Castro, she is very criticized for that. The government's official stand is that - while they condemn the lack of political freedom - they recongnize Cuba's succes in developing health system and education, which is probably the best in Latin America.

Personally, I think Rouseff is not a skilled politician, unlike her predecessor. She lacks political hability and stepped in as a candidate because there was no one in her party to fill the role. Lula da Silva's popularity elected her, since she was seen as his political creature. But her first term as preisdent demonstrated her flaws as a negotiator.

The inlfation was controlled by crating a new currency, with new rules for convertion, which equated the value of the Real to the Dollar in 1994.

• She is also divorced which is not very Catholic, and in the last campaign she supported the criminalization of "homophobia".. aKa criminalizing free thought/speech... which is not very democratic. I don't think the CUban health and education system is so great. If the education system was great they would've overthrown the regime by now. It is a very poor country. I think responsible capitalism leads to relative prosperity for most of a population, and Cuban style socialism leads to most poeple being impoverished and dependent on the government. Yes, well, right-wing military governments would go after people who were obvious "problems"... so doing things like that only gives them more justification. I think sometimes military rule is beneficial. Greece certainly was better off under it than it is today. Of course these systems aren't perfect, but yeah. I don't understand why generally right-wing governments don't seem to get in power in Latin America. There are a FEW except

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 4

• It's impossible to know every detail of everything, but yes, it bothers a lot when we don't know or don't remember significant things.

• I have accepted there are huge gaps in my database

• I'm not bothered. There's far too much history for any one person to know at even a cursory level, much less with any authority. That's why historians spend their careers focusing on specific time periods of specific places.

• History is fun if you read about the right subjects but unless it has to do with war or periods of great economic growth, it can be pretty boring.