How soon do you replace a pet that died?

Ever since I was a child, my family has always had lots of dogs. Whenever one died, we waited months before buying a new one. And when my childhood dog died, I waited 2 years before getting another animal for myself. However, so many of my family friends replace their deceased pets straight away. A family friend had a new black poodle puppy after her aging one died in less than a month. And a roomate tragically lost her cat and had a kitten in under a week and another cat in less than a month. All of these pets had been by their owners side for years. I can't fathom replacing a loved pet that quickly, so what do other people do?

• 1-2 weeks
  • 3-4 weeks
  • 2-3 months
  • 4-6 months
  • 6+ months to replace a pet
If the pet is alone, I understand getting that pack animal a buddy. For example, if one of my rats died, I would try to get the remaining one a friend to improve her quality of life.

Most Helpful Girl

• Hmm I've never really replaced any of my animals. When my first cat died I was incredibly sad and would hang outside a lot. After a while a really nice stray came up to me and I fell in love and kept him. It's strange really. That's happened after two of my cats dying, a nice one would just pop up and I'd keep them. Does that count? I never actively tried to replace one.

What Guys Said 5

• none have died yet but when they do im buying a black lab.

• I once had 2 hamsters, I named 1 hamster '1' and the other hamster '2'

Unfortunately 1 died but I still had 2 so it was okay

• How old were you haha?

• Well they wasn't mine I stole them for a day off my sister, I remamed them when one of them died hoping my sister would still be happy with hamster I called '2'... she's smarter then I thought :(

• Our first dog died in December 2006. We got the two dogs we have now in March 2007.

• My german shepherd riley will be 2 this November:) don't know if I could handle that for a few years.

• Handle your time without a buddy? By the way, Riley is a cute name for a Geramn shepherd.

• Nah I usually hurt for a little bit it just wouldn't feel right to replace him right away. Yeah he is a cutie:)

• I feel the same.

• You don't replace; You experience a different one.

What Girls Said 6

• I can't really answer your poll because in my opinion it depends on the person and how much of an impact the loss of their buddy made.
    Some people might become really depressed and they need a new distraction so they don't hurt that much. The new pet will never be like the other one but it can also be loved.
    Some people don't like to be alone and they can't stand coming home to no one so a new pet might be necessary.
    Others don't want to fall in love with a new pet because the loss of the old one hurt so much that we don't want to go through that again. I know some people that they can't talk about their old pet without crying so that is how bad they don't want a new one.
    So back to the question it depends.

• We've always had at least 2 dogs when I was growing up, and they've overlapped. I think the longest we've ever waited to get a new puppy was 6 months, but we had the other dog during that time.

Everyone mourns their pets differently. Our way has always been to get a new dog as soon as possible and make new memories with that pet. The new dog is never a replacement for the old one - they are a new companion.

• You will feel an emptiness in your heart, so you feel lonely. That is commonly the reason why they get one really close to the death.

• There isn't really a set time. You do it when you feel like you can handle it.

Personally after my cat died, I didn't get the kittens until two years passed. I hadn't quite moved on yet and my mom wasn't ready.

• There isn't a 'right' time. Its whenever you feel ready! For me personally, its when my house starts to feel a bit empty without an animal friend to greet me.

• whenever u feel emotionally stable and are ready to move on to another cat or dog or whatever