Some people are posting on Facebook that the military is stockpiling hollow point ammo which violate the Geneva Convention. Is this true?

0|0
0|4

Most Helpful Guy

• Exploding or expanding small projectiles were prohibited in international war before the Geneva convention. I think hollow points are prohibited by the Hauge Convention. The reason for this is they were supposed to cause unnecessary suffering and damage, more than was required to incapacitate a soldier.

Interestingly they also are the best ammunition for limiting damage to civilian bystanders, which is why they are commonly used by police. They are less likely to ricochet or penetrate a wall and accidentally hurt someone behind it,

If this story is true it may be because the U. S. army is expecting to be fighting in urban areas where there are bystanders who might get hurt.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

• The military is switching over to hollowpoint ammunition for pistols, which greatly increases their effectiveness on soft targets while making them worse at punching through cover.

However, we never actually signed the treaties banning hollowpoint ammo in war.

1|0
    0|0
  • well if its on Facebook it must be true, and I'm sure Elvis is in there keeping count on all the ammo for them

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably not. I doubt that someone with that kind of security clearance would be on Facebook in the first place.

Or that they would be on GaG to accurately answer this question, for that matter.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

No girls shared opinions.