Why are some people so upset the confederate flag was taken Down?

I just don't get it 😂 but I live way up, north so I don't know

Most Helpful Guy

• The battle flag for southern people stands for courage, because their ancestors stood up against the north to maintain their states rights. However they were fighting to keep slavery and the KKK adopted the flag, which made it a symbol of racism. Very similar to how the swastika went from a sacred symbol of many religions to a symbol of anti-Semitism because of the Nazis.

What Girls Said 2

• I think its for the sake of political correctness. I doubt anybody has an emotional relationship with it.

• because here in the south we take pride in that flag and too many people believe that it is a symbol of racism (which its not) and it just burns are bellies.

What Guys Said 9

• Not so much upset, but as a student of history it was just an idiotic distraction. African American history is so tied together with white southern history that its really indistinguishable.. Funny thing is most African-American (decendents of slaves) who traced their ancestry they will find they are related to the very slave owners who the flag represented.. To put that in perspective its like Mexicans celebrating they took down the Spanish flag... Ay yi yi

Anywho, I really could care less.. Just hope it isn't a slippery slope to start removing all traces of American history. None of the founding fathers past are squeaky clean..

• by the way Im African-American but I find whites are more butthurt about it

• Only in America welcome to the most sensitive country. A lot of people think that the confederate flag stands for what the kkk stands for its ignorance.

• im not American so excuse my ignorance, but isn't the confederate flag linked to slavery and racism? I mean that was the ideology behind the south at the time of the civil war right? so its no stretch of the imagination to link the 2 together.

again, excuse my ignorance if thats not the case, again im not American.

• @rincewind it is, but now it stands for the freedom of slavery before during and before the civil war it stood for being for slavery. The types of Americans who get mad about this have nothing better to do and are ignorant towards their own countries history.

• The union simply used Slavery as an excuse to keep other nations from helping the Confederates..

• I don't know anything.. call me out. I may sound stupid.
    But isn't this 'Confederate Flag' a flag for the Patriots of the South in the US?
    Last time I checked Patriotism wasn't a good thing. As they say 'Muricaaaaa!

- I have no idea, I'm English.

• Because some people cannot let go of the past.

• I think the key-point is that it is taking away liberties and freedom in return to sensitivity and political correctness.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

• Because the confederate flag still holds a lot of symbolism in the South. They attempt to associate it with... I really don't know. Some bullshit or another.

• Leave symbols to the 'symbol-minded'

• Ignorance, racism or both.

• it's a racist flag... who cares what they think?