How do you get a cat to take its meds?

i need to get my cat to take its meds and the vet said to crush up its tablets and put it in regular food but my cat won't have that he won't touch the regular food with the pill dust in, he'll take a taste and leave it, what food/foods could i use to hide the taste?

Most Helpful Guy

• There is a technique that the vet should have told you about. We lost our cat years ago, so it's hard to remember exactly. You pinch the sides of it's jaws, like it's cheeks, gently. It will open its mouth eventually. Pop the tablet in as far as you can, then rub under its chin. The natural reaction is to swallow it whole. You have to keep its head pointing up. You need two people as you have to hold its front legs still for obvious reasons!! Vet should tell you this as well!

Only other way is to find something really tasty and fishy that the cat loves. And hope!!

• i'll definitely give that one a try thanks!

• Be carefull holding front legs. There is a definite technique you can do with one hand. You must be firm though. A flying cat with claws at the ready is not nice!!

• Thanks for MHO!! I hope it works without you getting too many scratches!

What Guys Said 1

• You could try putting the medicine in some Tuna Fish or maybe some other fish like food.

What Girls Said 3

• try this. I'll put the link here. It is a lot like making a dog do it but there are some differences. www.allfelinehospital.com/pilling-your-cat.pml

• my cat always goes for a mix or tuna fish and like beef gravy (obviously make the gravy crazy thick like paste) and mix it all together

• they have special pill pockets for that.