Which 80s band do you believe is the most well known among younger generations?

I’d say Depeche Mode, most young people know ‘em

0|0
6|7

Most Helpful Guy

• Probably Depeche Mode, though it's possible the Cure could be up there. They're two of my favorites.

Among bands that aren't exactly my favorites, REM is probably still widely known by young people. The person who said U2 is quite right as well. In fact the best answer is probably U2, but "most well known" is very different from "most admired" or "best loved." Those crowns would go to Depeche Mode or the Cure.

0|0
    0|0
    • how about Spandau Ballet? nobody mentioned 'em yet... even though they disappeared after 80s they r still well known as a name

• Show All
    • I don't know that album at all but I've been reading about it and am very intrigued. At that time the only Cars-type tracks that were receiving actual airplay in the US were the Ocasek and Orr solo singles, which were hits, but I've never heard anything from "Door to Door." Really looking forward to hearing it because "Heartbeat City" is possibly my favorite album of theirs. It has what is, to me, an almost perfectly evocative 80s sound.

• yeah ocasek and orr released some good solo-albums actually..."The Lace" would be my fav from orr

What Girls Said 6

• depeche mode forevvvvverrrrr !!! 👊

0|1
    0|0
    • one of da few 80s bands who had success during later decades and didn't disappear :D

• yeah they will never disappear <3 :)

• Ha-ha I like Depeche Mode too!!

0|1
    0|0
  • Bon Jovi. 😎

Shot through the heart and you're to blame.

Darling you give Loove a bad name!

0|0
    0|0
  • I barely know any

0|0
    0|0
    • i remember u said u knew duran duran LOL

• Queen if you want to count that or maybe Bon Jovi. That's just what I think.

0|0
    0|0
    • Queen were 70s mostly but BJ were 80s since they started by then.. but they changed their style afrerwards... honestly their early albums were gr8 they were glam metal by then... but afterwards they became alt. Rock mostly

• I think it's Queen, but i'm not sure if you consider it as an 80's band😊

0|0
    0|0
    • queen were 70s mostly

• Show All
    • they were 60-70s as well... PF started in 60s

• Than it's bon jovi😊

What Guys Said 6

• I'm surprised no one has said U2 yet. They are still around today and still make music, but their best, most popular stuff was from the 80s. With or Without You, Still haven't Found What I'm Looking For, and Sunday Bloody Sunday are all still well known today.
    For Depeche Mode, a lot of people recognize the songs Personal Jesus or Enjoy the Silence, but most people I'd say don't know the band name.
    Other than that, I imagine The Cure (they have On a Friday), Journey (they have Don't Stop Believing), and Duran Duran (they have Hungry Like a Wolf) are among the most well known. Granted, there are a lot metal bands people still know today -- as mentioned in your other question.

1|0
    0|0
    • Journey were 70s no?

• Show All
    • like Big Country or The Alarm?

• Kind of. I've heard of some of their songs, but I don't know them well enough to say I'm a fan.

• Journey...
    dont stop believing
    wheel in the sky
    and separate ways are all classic

2|0
    0|0
  • Definitely Depeche Mode or The Cure.

Completely unrelated, but U2 suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!

0|0
    0|0
    • not at all... their 1st albums (Boy, October) were awesome!!! War and Unforgetable Fire were good as well but afterwards they lost it.

There was another Irish band by da time called "Cry Before Dawn" who were similar wid U2 sound-wise but never were as much successful as U2, and their 2 albums were kinda better than U2's later material like Joshua Tree in my opinion

• Yeah, U2 is difficult to grade because they have so much longevity. There is a LOT of bad stuff in their catalogue, though. I'll have to revisit Boy October, because I trust your judgement. :)

• thanks man ^_^

basically Joshua Tree's one of da most overrated albums in my opinion... it was just average late 80s alternative rock, like many albums from this era actually

• The ones who've been covered, I guess...

0|0
    0|0
  • Queen or Journey.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depeche Mode for definate

0|0
    0|0