Video games can keep kids off the streets and away from drugs. Agree or disagree?

This is a common counter argument to the 'video games make people violent' argument. That instead of making them violent it actually can make kids safe since they are indoors more and less susceptible to do drugs or get involved in drugs. Do you agree or disagree?

• I agree it can keep kids out of danger
  • I disagree
  • It depends (please say)

Most Helpful Guy

• Obviously games don't make kids violent, that's like the stupidest thing ever. It will only turn a kid violent if you tell him that he could do that in real life, and if he has a mental disorder, but normal kids wouldn't turn violent, and I'm an example of that. I play violent video games, and honestly, I like to recreate on the violence, I mean, I like to see all that violence up close, but I'm very pacifist, I've never been in a fight, and I know that violence is never the answer, that words will always be more powerful than a fist.
    BUT, to answer the question on your title, it depends, you can still do drugs and go out on the streets and still have video games as a hobby.

What Girls Said 4

• Yeah, I would pick age appropriate ones.
    However, if that is all they do, it is not acceptable.

• Yeah kinda.

• They'll just put the controllers down if they want to do the drugs bad enough.

• Well I think it depends on the person. When I was younger I dabbled in playing those violent games with my brothers. We all played them. My older brother want to enlist one day and he has many bb guns and he even stole my pocket knife. But he is smart and knows not to be violent in general. My younger brother also likes the violent games yet he doesn't really care for weapons or he does not find an interest in drugs or anything violent in that sense. I think some people can play violent video games their whole life and not grow to like that violent stuff and on the streets. And some people could easily get convinced that drugs and gangs are "cool". Generally I don't think it keeps them AWAY from violence and drugs and stuff i just think it could go either way doending on the person.

What Guys Said 3

• Video games do not make kids violent. At all. The few kids that DO act violent always had underlying mental issues, but they didn't come from the video games themselves.

www.telegraph.co.uk/.../...hildren-aggressive.html

It has also been proven that video games can do a much better job at combating depression than counseling ever could.

healthland.time.com/.../

• If your a gamer then you ain't bout' that life. Hahaha. Seriously though, if your in the house playing video games most of the time then your not in the streets banging.

• I agree. Anything that can keep people busy can keep them out of trouble. The importance of having hobbies can not be overstated.