Why do people think of settling down as boring?

I was telling a few guys at work that I looked through some of my friends facebook and mosto of their lives are pretty boring. And that I don't want my life to be like that.

At first they all agreed but then one was like "wait a second, just last week you said you wanted to settle down. You can't make up your mind"
I did say that and I meant it. I DO really really want to settle down. As in meet a nice guy, get married, have a steady job but that doesn't my life has to be boring. We can still travel, volunteer, do cool stuff on the weekends like running a marathon, surfing, hiking, canoeing... we live in a great place for all of that

Why is that settling down means life is getting boring for so many people?

Most Helpful Girl

• Because settling down usually involves having kids and once you have them, you live mostly for them, not for yourself.

Logistically, it's also harder to travel, volunteer, and do cool stuff on the weekends when you have kids. Unless you have a lot of help or involve them in your activities.

What Guys Said 2

• Because settling down usually means kids, and kids means you have no free time and no spare money.

• I completely agree with you. I have always thought, even in high school, that the idea of traveling and doing a bunch of different things without having a job was unrealistic. My family wasn't poor but I knew you couldn't do all that stuff for months at a time without paying for it later. I was one of the few who thought that way and it looks like we still are. Good luck to you.

What Girls Said 3

• Most people who settle down do not perceive the settled life as boring. They love the relationships they are able to foster and fortify through having a familial bonds with one another. If there is any boredom - for them it would be having temporary relationships with people who are serious about staying with them forever.

• Be more specific to them, I guess.
    Some may have a pre image set in them for the term "settling down."
    Phrase it differently.

• Getting married isn't the problem, it's having kids. It changes things and makes all those things you listed a bit impossible