My friend's bird died on my watch. What do I do (URGENT)?

My friend was away for the weekend which left me taking care of her bird. Today I let it out of its cage as we always do and left him on the sofa as I was cleaning the kitchen. The bird pretty much spent most of the time roaming free around the house without supervision so I didn't really get worried. However, I couldn't find it anywhere and when I eventually found it, it was floating in the toilet. I tried to do mouth-to-mouth, cpr, dry it etc but nothing worked. My friend loves that bird more than most people and so I have no idea what to say. I feel super responsible and guilty. What should I do?

should I blame myself?

Most Helpful Guy

• Birds can get into things they cannot get out of. A toilet is one of them. the smooth ceramic gives them no footing. Even if you were watching the bird (which you should have been doing), the lid should be down on the toilet to prevent it geting in there, or the door closed. They are too tame and do not understand that things in the house can be dangerous.

So, yes, you should blame yourself, but there is nothing you can do to change what happened. Just be honest and accept some harsh words you are likely to get from you friend. And be more careful about taking care of pets in the future.

What Guys Said 9

• As someone who has owned/owns birds... damn, your friend is in for a hard time :(

Once a bird gets soaked, chances are its not going to go flying anywhere. Combine that with the smooth surface of the toilet, and the bird could have drowned or had a heart attack.

I don't want to sound harsh, but yes, you probably should blame yourself for not putting the lid down on the toilet. When you have birds flying around, it's important to do some risk assessment around the house. Although now you know to be more careful, and this won't happen again when you have to look after animals.

I'd watch for your friend's reaction to the news. Depending on the sort of person she is, she could be angry, or forgive you. There's always the chance that she could harbour some lingering resentment for this though.

• the thing is that even if I wanted to I couldn't put the lid down on the toilet because it doesn't have one as it's broken. The only reason I let him out was because my friend asked me to as his cage is pretty small, and he is used to being left on his own as he can't fly. I'm still shaking and super upset from the whole ordeal.

• Still, a towel or something wouldn't hurt. Do you know what sort of bird he was? Perhaps your friend didn't give you any warnings/enough advice.

If your friend also left him alone with no lid on the toilet, it could have happened at any time, with either you or her looking after him.

• it was a lovebird. we live together so we know eachother's habits. She pretty much always left him out when she was in the house but he used to just roam the house but never climb anywhere.

• Just say you gave the bird more than the best of care and it was found deceased in the toilet nothing much you can do , you did all you could to bring it back to life it most likely fell in the water and drowned and it's strange that bird couldn't fly out of that toilet
    cause birds have could footing even in water so maybe it got sick or trauma to it's head

• You will just have to explain to her that you killed her bird for your own pleasures and realilized what you did after the bird was dead and you needed a convincing story like floating in the toilet as if that would drown a oil feathered water deflectent floating bird who couldn't fly out of the toilet from taking a bird bath.

• Just tell your friend the dumb bird accidentally killed itself.

• Just be honest. It's not your fault that you didn't consider it could drop in the toilet and drown, you're not used to owning a bird and didn't see it coming. You did what you could, it was an accident.

• get it stuffed and nail it to the perch

• Tell the truth all you can do

• Just be honest and say that it was an accident, you could buy her a new bird their not that much.

• Try selling it to a blind kid for cash

What Girls Said 3

• only thing you can do is apologize deeply and try to make it up to him somehow, and also throw anything out of the house that resembles chemicals used for cleaning toilets, that's probably how it died..

• Buy an identical bird and take it to the shop to find one just like it

• Weekend at birdies!!! 😝