Why do some old people look down on youth?

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 5

• I think some people believe that just cause they are older they are *better* somehow as they might have more life experience and knowledge. That said I don't think it's OK to look down on anyone. Everyone was young at a point in their lives.

• You are right. It is never OK to look down on someone else. Young people are the future.

• There are some people who believe we're lazy. We're lazy because we aren't out getting jobs and we aren't successful apparently due to a lack of trying.

Problem is, they tend to forget it's the world they built that is stopping us from achieving as much as they believe we should.

This is only some of the older generations though.

• As you get older you do get wiser from experience. You also have different priorities and usually they are more serious/responsible than the ones younger people have.

I think some older adults don't understand the generation of instant gratification, or kids that are growing up with a sense of self entitlement. I don't think they look down on today's youth but rather sometimes do not relate to them. It happens with all generations.

• Not all older people get wiser there are some stupid older people though...
      maybe it is just annoyance because some have lived through hard times?

• No, not all I suppose get wiser, people can be dumb at any age. I guess it would be different for everyone.

• they think they have more life experience than younger generation so tend to nag a lot or think they are so good.

• Because they're salty lol.
    No, but for real I think they just forget. They think that they were the perfect little saints when they were younger and they forget all the crazy stuff that they used to do.

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.” - Socrates

What Guys Said 4

• They probably just think they're all that cuz they can do things younger humans mustn't (often get stopped for) either that or they secretly are jelly cuz they spent their youth days looking forward to be old (grown up) : 3

• Cause they can't out run death anymore. So there angry. And also I think that our culture has drastically changed from there's. Like I mean a lot

• They are bitter and full of regret with what has happened during their life. They only see the bad in their life, and that extends to everything else, including youth.

• People might say they're jealous but I don't think so. Maybe they see us as inexperienced. One guy told me he hates how easy we have it and most of the things we complain about are honestly silly