What is the real problem of music industry today?

I do not want to sound like an old fart but the music today makes me think. What is wrong with these people?
It is not a music anymore. It is just something you listen ; you throw when you are finished.
I am still listening Depeche Mode. It never gets old. You know what I mean?

Most Helpful Guy

• It is not such an artform anymore, I don't think. And there are way less new ideas. At least, this is true of most modern mainstream music, anyway.

I think consumerism has really defeated quality of music a lot. Now it is something that is mass produced--it is very cookie cutter. And the soul isn't present in the music like it used to be.

This is why I LOVE indie music. They take chances, they put their hearts and creative genius into their music, and they don't cater to the masses. There is greater impact, both for the visceral listener and the thinking man's listener.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 19

• Much of the problem began with the commercialization (read lack of artistic license/creative freedom) and big business influences around 1978, then really ratcheted up as the 80's progressed. Great record companies like Atlantic under Ahmet Ertegun, or Clive Davis, became relics of the past, victim to corporate bean-counters. Eventually we got to Napster/file sharing, which killed the artists income from everything except touring (this is still the case today, 20 years later). Then file sharing created artists who felt they couldn't sell whole albums anymore, so album oriented rock/music became an ancient artifact as well. Most kids today don't even buy albums anymore, they just download songs from iTunes, or wherever. So today, there is basically total disarray and chaos in what is left of the music "industry". No one knows how to fix it. And the whole cause of the downfall and demise of it? The listeners who thought it was their right to have songs for free, since the artist was "already rich", and didn't need or deserve the money. Talk about irony, and having to be careful what you wish for.

• hahahha i can feel u, and no u don't sound old... u just don't lack in taste ^_^

only modern rap could be a little bit toleratable... but indie-pop/alternative rock music's da most "yuck" music i've ever heard. modern dance-pop on da other hand becames tirin after a few lsitens since it's everywhere :(
    maybe it might be better if it wasn't played everywhere but...

anyway i'm actually open to ANY decade from late 70s and afterwards and every genre (yeah believe it or not)... but nothing from 00s-10s impressed me pretty much (and those who impressed me had some vibe from previous decades LOL).

• I know you are such a 80 s music lover :)

• the knowledge you have is already impressive :) do not worry about it ^^

• thanks! ^_^

• It's more about making money than actually expressing yourself and having a message in your music.
    That's why I listen to less rap nowadays, cause the days of 2Pac, Biggie, Nas, Eminem, N. W. A., Mobb Deep... are over, now it's Drake, Lil' Wayne, Kanye West, Homie Bitch Quan... I mean Rich Quan. They suck. The music itself is not bad, but it's not real Rap it's just a bunch of gibberish.
    I'm getting more and more into EDM cause it's more about having fun and just enjoying the music.

• Eminim was a big hit in his time. He still is.

• True, but Eminem isn't like the Eminem from 1999 and early 2000. He's still a big influence, but his Rap was much better when he started in the industry, but he's still one of the best artists right now, no doubt.

• i think it's the same problem with every realm, the more advanced technique we created, the more dependence we put in , the less moment we look at ourselves , the more ignorance we grow, the narrow our mind become, the close we adjacent to our end.
    But even that, there are still quite a minority of good musician on earth. And if you pick up on some classic music like opera , concerto , film soundtrack or acoustic , there is something that would not change, at least not at this century.
    yeah, try experiencing other kind of music.

• Ummmm music industry is still great it's just you're listening to what's on the radio which Is just garbage mainstream crap in my opinion *if you like it then by all means listen it doesn't affect me anyway shape or form*

• I think there might be a higher volume of bad music today than in the past, because of how the Internet and social media can allow almost anyone to put stuff out there and become a "star" under the right set of circumstances, like Justin Bieber. >_< It's similar to how anyone can post false science on the Internet, and if it goes viral, people accept it as truth.

Not to say that there wasn't bad music or misinformation in the past, but it had to jump through more rigorous hoops to get out there to the public on a large scale.

However, to be fair, there has almost always been the attitude that "music these days" doesn't compare to the past. Look at this Peanuts comic from way back in 1957:

assets.amuniversal.com/4f191ec0f875013014e0001dd8b71c47</a>

• Because it's not about art anymore. It's all about making money. Most of today's artists all sound the same. They sound like shit. Most rap songs today all sound the same to me. It's all about bitches, money and sex. Its garbage

• Classic rock all day and every day. Though some new stuff is great. I think most people just don't listen to lyrics any more.

• Music nowadays are made in 5 minutes with a computer, the lyrics are insensitive and retarded and everything is just very repetitive. Also they play the same music 2000x on the radio until you literally want to throw it out.

• 5 minute efforst need to be thrown out then really

• So does Pro Tools, which allows everyone to auto-pitch correct, and "produce" an album or song until it is "perfect" (aka soulless, to the discerning listener). The charm and soul in music comes FROM the imperfections. Otherwise, where's the humanity?

• @LibraPisces66 Wasn't that exactly what I was saying? ^^

• Don't worry about the music industry. There is plenty of good music oit there, you just need to dig a little.

• It's the usual cycle, new music sucks, oldies are better.

• Its really gone down hill and age has nothing to do with this

• Well the lyrics are getting shitty day by day. Old is gold.

• Music for a while has been crap. Soul isn't in music anymore. It seems like a lack of effort by some of them.

• they do not want to put any effort, they are becoming famous somehow? why they should try.

• Yes, they are becoming famous for just being who they are and not by their ability. I agree. They should give more effort.

• I think it's just a new music era. People just somehow started listen to catchy tunes and keep on listening, that's how they make.

• Get the same shit off the radio! It doesn't all have to be pop!

• its easy,,, in this century music=just for Money not for feelings!

• I can feel you that's why I listen to techno, old rock and old music.

OLD BUT GOLD TIMES!

• Over promotion. They promote people that really shouldn't be promoted

What Girls Said 5

• I'm right with you!
    I feel like an old fart for saying this too...
    But music isn't music any more.

"Bitch better have my money" ---Rihanna.
    "Chicken noodle soup" ---DJ Star...
    ETC. ETC. ETC.

Music now relies on catchiness not actual talent anymore.
    The songs are meaningless and senseless.
    Plus music videos show huge amounts of nudity.
    It's like the women of the industry are trying to out sex each other or prove who could be the biggest "slut" in appearance.
    It's sad really.

• Yea, i feel like because there has been a sudden change in the music world, ie, house music, dubstep etc. There's more and more artists coming forward with these talents of what they call music and i just don't rate it at all! I'm a massive fan of house music, i think its a breakthrough of our generation, but honestly i have no hope for the future of music! Its a shame really!

• it is more of what is popular not the substance

• Well I think it's how it's produced. Back then they used actual instruments to produce music and now it's just easy to hop on a computer and find a beat and add instruments to make a song.

The lyrics of some songs are nonsense too, I think.

• The eighties and nineties had real pure music. The music today is synthesized, shows more naked parts than really about the music. Ladygaga always have my vote. Her songs are original... despite people saying she is an illuminati puppet.

• actually i gotta admit Lady Gaga's slightly better than da rest... she stands out among da trash

• I still listen 80 s 90 s music. They are much more better.

• Lady Gaga is cool though. About Illuminate project? To many rumours I do not know what to believe