When you die, what happens to your facebook?

Like when you die, does your facebook automatically delete itself or does a friend do that?
Or will it just keep existing unused?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 13

• Everyone sends you a friend request.

• What you might like to do is make a "living will", at least, I think it's called that. I have a ring binder with all my social media and other sites listed. Each has my username and password. There are written instructions of how do delete each one. Most inportantly, there are instructions of who to notify out of my on-line friends. It is almost everyone I am currently friends with, and a few that aren't directly friends any more, but who I have great fondness for.

No social media sites will delete you without being told to. Some, like FB (I think) will leave it up for a while before fully deleting in case it is required again. Unlikely if you have died!!

Anything like my ringbinder will have to be stored securely! It holds access to your most private data.

• When you die, what happens to your porn stash?
    gifrific.com/.../no-words-homer-into-brush.gif

• Facebook actually has a procedure for that based on your family's wishes.
    mobile.nytimes.com/.../...-facebook-afterlife.html

• I've often wondered this myself although I've heard stories in the news where Facebook have closed accounts down and then the families have appealed to open it back up as these Facebook profiles were memories of their lost ones

• Probably the same thing that happens to your name on a voter registration list not only when you die, but when you move to a different state: it stays there.

• Keeps right on going. My aunt passed away in February and hers is still out there. No one's updating it, of course. I guess my uncle either doesn't know about it or doesn't care that it's out there. *shrug*

• The Facebook is deactivated in an year

• It gets deactivated after nine months.

• It'll probably keep doing. But maybe in the future there will be an update for these matters

• Its keep working, unless you request closure by providing sufficient evidence.

• You would need someone who knows your password to delete it.

• It roams the earth in search of brains.

Same thing as before, actually.

What Girls Said 10

• It remains.

God bless you meliss!!! Hope the angels are with you and you're soaring high in the heavens with them!!!

• i think your account will still be here

• How would Facebook know that you died to automatically cancel itself?

• 1. Penises are attractive to girls.
      2. Facebook will make users implant a microchip when it doesn't detect a heartbeat it will delete itself.

• @Floyd790 I like dick pics dude lol

• HAHAHAHAHA that's what I thought when I read it XD this question made me laugh so hard

• My brother's friend died in 2010 and his fb account is still active... Of course there are no updates... Same pics and same posts. Just the layout is different as Facebook has changed its layout since then.

• Well, when my friends son died Facebook allowed her to still leave it up so that people could leave messages for him. I think if Facebook wasn't informed of the death then it would just stay open.

• It'll keep going, unless a friend informs Facebook, that this person is deceased. But if not, yes it'll keep exciting

• Do you realize that in 70 years, Facebook will be full of dead people?

• Nothing happens unless a family member knows the password and chooses to close your account

• I have the same question

• It'll just stay there, it'll keep existing