Do high grades even matter in university/college?

Just to reiterate: I'm referring too University/college grades , not high school grades to get into university/college.

Most Helpful Girl

• Only for admissions into professional schools and for interviews at certain large (usually Fortune 500) companies with some midsize companies in the mix. Otherwise, you're experience and transferable skills matter more.

What Girls Said 7

• that is a very good question actually.. for my case i'm getting conflicting answers..

my teachers (most of whom are elite animators from huge companies like pixar, disney, dreamworks, ubisoft, blizzard, bethesda, etc) as well as the recent visit of 4 super-elite (legendary) animators (creators of starcraft, guildwars 2, blade&soul, tom clancy's the division, wall-e, inside out, big hero 6, pacific rim, etc) from the latest iconmanila convention seminar say that the grades won't matter because the companies are looking for those who have the potential to be someone great, they're not looking for a finished/polished product, so by the time we reach the part of our curriculum where we get chosen to intern with these big companies they'll literally just throw our grades in a bin and instead look at our portfolio.. crazy in retrospect but true

yet, the administration of the school as well as the department of education say that grades are everything and that no matter how much skill we have our grades (whether passing or failing) will be our downfall if neglected..

so i'm at a divide and can't be sure who is really telling the truth :(

• edit: i meant to say starcraft 2 (both wings of liberty and heart of the swarm)

• Yeah for me they did. Universities here only allow x amount of students so to get into your program you need to do well cause you are competing for your spot.

• Yes they matter. Which is why the students slag their ass off to get good grades in high school and universites.

• Yeah it does

• That's the main place they matter!!

• Yes! You get honorary titles based on your grades! And that's Especially important if you're in a field like business. These things are taken to consideration when you apply for a job.

• Of course yes!

What Guys Said 10

• If all you are looking for is a degree at the end of your schooling, then no. But is you are going on after that, of course they do. Imagine graduating med school with a 2.5 GPA. Where do you expect to go to actually go on to become a doctor with that GPA? If ytou are looking for a position with a high power company, your grades are what will make you stand out.

• When i was in high school i never really focused on my grades and getting into college, sounds weird... but i always wanted to learn just for the sake of understanding the world around me. Whether i scored 100% or 50% did't really matter, what mattered to me was that i was learning... i loved knowledge. Strangely i found this way of thinking for me got me good grades and i ended up in college. Don't focus too much on the prize , rather focus on learning and understanding in my opinion.

• Yes! My 1 C and 1 D compared to my 12 As and 8 Bs have caused my GPA to drop like crazy. Its disappointing.

• Yes many jobs ask for your grades in your resume and even class rank. Also getting over about 3.5 allows most people to be on Cum laude which is honors and you can put that on your resume.(higher up gpa's get higher honors). If you want to go to graduate school you'll need a good gpa to get into a good graduate school.

• Regardless of whether they just barely scraped through their degree, or got a first from Oxford, literally noone I know took a job related to their course, so I'm inclined to say "no, not really".

• Somewhat... classes, time period, and things like clubs, societies, and intern ships are huge... its a part of it but a smaller part than grade school.

• Uh yeah of course they do.

• How else are you supposed to get good enough at your major or job your going for in order to make it into a career that can sustain you.

• The thing is man I dont know if your in college or what but there's a big difference between real world experience and a schools curriculum...

• Well yeah obviously but colleges at least the one I'm going go to educate you and teach you how to do the job you're going there to learn how to do, in the first place. If you have horrible grades then you aren't learning anything.

And I know what world experience is I've experienced it vs a schools curriculum.

• Absolutely. When companies are considering otherwise equal candidates, they choose based on GPA.

• If you are highly intelligent... no.

• For transferring from a community college to University yes. If you want to be able to put your gpa on a job application and have it set you apart, yes.