Are Italians racist?

Are Italians racist? Is Southern Italy more racist or less? What do they think about foreigners? Do they exclude them?

Most Helpful Girl

• It ain`t that easy, I could write a book about it. Anyway, long story short, we have a particular situation here with illegal immigrants. People here are not more racist than any other place in the world. The thing is Europe is forcing us to take. thousands of immigrants from Africa everyday but the other countries don`t take any. We have not a good economical situation and we can`t afford to maintain all of them alone (again, THOUSANDS every day). So people sadly tend to look down on them (instead of looking down to politicians) because they can`t afford many things and many of them are homeless andthe State doesn`t help them at all while these men arrive illegally and they get home, money, food etc. That`s why. In America if someone arrives illegally you send him away, we just can`t. However younger people and smart ones tend to understand the situation better and we know it`s not their fault.

What Guys Said 8

• There is racist people in every country in the world and this question is racist to.

• You'll meet racists in any country.
    You'll meet non racists in any country.

• Italian definitely has more racists form my personal experience and conversations with italians who lived there.

That doesn't mean all italians are racists of course.

• some are and some aren't. There are still a good number of italians (especially the younger generation) that aren't racist. I know a few, and they are good people :)

• Nationality doesn't make you racist.

• No but a culture can breed racist and ignorant people.

• @GirlScoutsRevenge Oh, right. My mistake for misunderstanding. Yeah, I agree certain cultures might breed racist and ignorant behaviour but I can't say for sure if Italian culture is like that since I've never been there. I know that France is like that. Some of them even claim that being offensive is in their nature lol.

• Been to France a couple of times and have a lot of dealings with Italy with my work, pus my boss lives out there. I've never encountered any malicious racism, just un politically correct compared to the UK or the states.

• It's Italy, it's pretty self explanatory.

• Racists are not confined to any country.

• Isn't this question inherently racist?

What Girls Said 6

• there are racists in every country so of course there are gonna be racist people in italy but I think it's gonna be just as many as in other countries

• The Italians are not dreadfully PC from my own experience. Not any malice meant with it, they just say things how they find them.

• racism is everywhere but i think its wrong to pinpoint only one country

• Sure they would be if you just move into their country and find a job and they can't.

• The ones I've met weren't racist at all.

• You're asking a ton of white (mostly American) people if a group of people are racist. Most white Americans can't even admit that the confederate flag is racist.

I hadn't heard anything explicitly bad about Italians being racist before, but I just did a quick Google search and found that there have recently been a few incidents in Italy with the Romani peoples and African immigrants.

Personally, I've been to Italy twice (Rome and Pisa) and I've never experienced any direct or overt racism as a black woman. That's not saying that it doesn't exist, but like many other countries I'd guess that if you stuck to the big cities you'd be fine more or less while I'm sure you might encounter more racist people in the countryside where they don't see as much diversity (at least that's the case in France and with older German people in my personal experience).

My point is you have to ask actual people who live in Italy to get an accurate view of the country though