Is it hard for a European artist to be successful in America?

I’ve seen many European artists being successful in Europe yet they have minor success or no success in America at all. So wot a European artist should do in order to make it in America?

Most Helpful Guy

• No, I can think of plenty of European artists famous in America today. It is mostly British though. I think the difficulty just comes in as exposure. When your base is set up in England or wherever in Europe, it can be difficult to market your product overseas (i. e. concerts in America, shipping costs, manufacturing etc.). Also, the language barrier comes in. If you don't speak English, chances are your music won't sell well in the US. We tend to prefer our music to be English. You need to become big in Europe or whatever country and then go over to America. All musicians have it tough though regardless of nationality-- that's just the life of music.

Our music tastes are often quite similar in a lot of regards. I don't think Americans really care if someone is European or not. In fact, a lot of people over here love European accents and think they are cool and unique (especially British for some reason).

Some famous (or once famous) European artists that I can think of:
    Ed Sheeran, ABBA, U2, Gotye, Rolling Stones/The Who/Beatles/Big British Invasion bands, Eric Clapton, Iron Maiden, Bullet For My Valentine, The Proclaimers, The Police, Led Zeppelin, Depeche Mode, When In Rome, Adele, Oasis, Queen, Arctic Monkeys, Muse, Coldplay, One Direction *shudder*, Bring Me The Horizon, Pet Shop Boys, Genesis, Judas Priest, Snow Patrol, The Script, Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Cure...
    and so on and so forth...

What Girls Said 3

• Being European may help in some respects, but no so much in others but anything's possible. Work hard and maybe you can make it. :)

• UK artists have done well in the us market.

The rest of Europeans... Artists.. i dont have a clue as to who they are.

• Eh not all... there r many British artists who never made it in america

• alternative, love ballads and pop

• eh still those genres might have some electronic elements especially modern pop... it's fully electronic :D

• Kinda yeah.

What Guys Said 3

• I think being an 'artist' in general is hard to be successful.

In regards to practicality in society, art is a fairly useless ability.

• And by artist you mean what? painting, writing, musical? there are several types of "artists".

• There are million tons of successful Brits in USA.

• i mean musicians mostly