Is it a bad sign to tell the supervisor or manager at an interview that you are planning on going back to school in 2-4 years?

Most Helpful Girl

• Only tell them something like this if they ask, "Where do you see yourself in 2 years" or "what goals do you have?" because employers actually will ask this to gauge what kind of ambition you have, and they DO want to see that you have ambition rather than say you intend to live out your life in their entry-level job. Otherwise, if nothing is asked, no need to tell them. First of all because it's your business to know right now, and secondly two years is a long time away.

Now if you're applying for a job where they expect more than a two year commitment, they likely will ask this, and it would be a good idea to tell them. So this means if they are going to train you with pay and continue training you with pay down the road. If you have some contractual obligation, you'll have to pay it back if you leave.

I have no idea where you're apply to work, but if it's just a regular job in retail, food, reception/admin work, then most people don't even last in those jobs more than six months. So I think you're fine to keep it to yourself, and truthfully let them know what your ambitions are only if asked.

What Guys Said 5

• Depends on the kind of job you are interviewing for. Most jobs that could be acquired without a college degree will have a high turnover rate, so 2-4 years might actually sound like a long time to them and it won't be a problem. Many people don't stick around for more than a year or two. It might make you sound like a goal-oriented person with ambition. Can't hurt to mention it, but lean more toward the 4 year mark.

• It depends on the industry, the organization, the position, and your current level of education. Like some others have already said, some employers will expect and even encourage a further education, especially if it will help you in that particular industry.

• I concur with @HereForTheDay, if you don't even have to mention it then just don't.

• could be. Might not be. I would think it was an unnecessary comment and would keep it to myself. It doesn't help you

• If you're working retail or something like that, it's not an issue. Most retail managers deal with a constant influx of new people, so 2 years is a long time.

What Girls Said 5

• That depends. Will you be going back to school for something that will increase your value with that current job? Will you continue to work full time while going to school? Then yes.

If you'll be going back to school for something different and plan on quitting, then no.

• Depends what the job is. If it's a retail, food industry, general (unskilled) labour or reception job it's fine. But if it's a job that they are likely using to groom the employee for a higher position later on, it might bite ya. However, it is also considerate to be honest so that the employer knows what they are getting into. A job should be a good fit for both the employee and the employer. You shouldn't be deceptive about your plans.

• If it's a retail position and you're fairly young, they'll probably expect (and some might even encourage) it. But if you're interviewing for a higher-up job (i. e. anything other than waitressing, fast food, retail, etc.) then I would think they'd frown upon it.

As everyone else has said though, unless brought up, it's not necessary to mention as it isn't an immediate thing that will be happening.

• keep it to yourself...

• hmm well if the position is full time then I don't think it's a great idea to tell them that.. if part time and you think that school will get in the way of things then I'd tell them