If you could choose which decade to be born in which one would you choose?

I would choose to be born in the 1970's and be raised listening to some great classic rock! Spend my teenage years in the 80's which were awesome if you were a teen back then, and spend my 20's in the 90's listening to the best era of hip hop, watching nickelodeon and Cartoon Network cartoons, and the best era in pro wrestling the attitude era in the late 90's, and live my 30's in the 2000's which were ok I guess, and my 40's in the 2010's where everything kind of sucks now thanks to social media

• 1950's
  • 1960's
  • 1970's
  • 1980's
  • 1990's
  • 2000
  • 2010's

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 13

• I'm happy having been born in the mid-90s. Childhood wasn't too consumed with technology yet, I got to enjoy awesome kid shows, I rarely feel burdened by being female (yay social progress), I grew up with great children's books (I have the best memories of reading the Harry Potter series with my family), and all the wonderful music from decades past has been readily available! We have more access than ever to mass amounts of information and culture, we're making good progress with equal rights, and while we do have our share of problems, I think it's a pretty cool time right now, and I like being in this decade while I'm young. I think I'll live to see some really amazing things later, too.

And honestly, I think the past gets over-glorified, so we forget about some of the major problems they had. But I will admit, it was probably pretty fun to be a teen in the 80s, haha.

• I would live in the future because technology, science and that kind of stuff to make our lives easier and better. I don't romanticize previous eras. I mean, the 1970s were not all that great. The music maybe (even though I like new music too), but lots of technologies weren't there yet, health care wasn't that great, more racism and sexism, homophobia etc. I'm more a person who likes to live forward.

• This. The 1970s. really did suck for kids. I was one of them then.

• I'll take the late 80's because the 90's were the best time to grow up in... If not I'm fine with the late 90's early 2000's as I am.

• i'll stick with the time i was born, the 90's

anytime before that i'd have to deal with extreme racism and lack of women's rights and anytime after that i'd have to grow up being raised by iPhones and technology whilst never going outside to play and having a massively shorter attention span.

so yea….. im good haha

• I think being born in the mid 50s would have been great.
    Awesome music in the 60s and 70s, without any limitations for women when I grow up. No Internet, people still had to go outside to meet people.
    I'd basically be my parents age now

• I'm black so kingpin to go with now because this seems like the best it's been so far

• Also I notice a lot of girls say the 50's seem fun not really remembering they weren't even remotely close to being equals. Like my husband hitting me and it being okay is a huge fucking deal to me.

• With my parent's generation I will say this: there were "open secrets" about Gay people. Everyone *knew* Liberace was gay, but no one brought it up because it just was not polite. That sort of thing.

In fairness I give my parents (who were early Civil Rights workers) and their coming of age in the 1950's generation credit for getting the ball rolling:
      --Desegregation of Armed Forces: 1947, fully implemented by Korean War
      --Integration of Churches led by Billy Graham after meeting Reverend King: 1953
      --Brown v. Board of Education Court decision: 1954
      --Montgomery and other city Bus Boycotts: 1955
      --Emmett Till incident: 1955
      --Federal troops forcibly desegregating schools: 1957
      --Freedom Riders began: 1961

Not bad for a bunch of otherwise conformist crew-cut, duck-tailed or pony-tailed white bread young men and ladies.

• @Curmudgeon I think the young people had it together because obviously they're the reason change happened, but the adults (late 30 early 40 and up adults) still held those same ideas. And those adults would later be the bosses of said your progressive people and oppressed group

• I'm split. Sometimes I feel I should've been born when chivalry was still considered the norm.

But today I wish I was 18 so in the late 1990s ;)

• I would love to have been born in the 70s as well, but at the same time, I'm happy where I am now =)

• I did a quiz once it said I was a 50s girl.

• i like being born in the 80s because the 90s had the best pop culture kids and teens in my opinion

• The 60s, at least everyone was a proper lady/ gentleman then

• The fifties are rad and my dad was born in them , could you answer my last question please

• I think right now is a good time, or in the future. Before that there was too much racism and sexism, and less opportunities out there for people like me. Also, I like the technological advances we've made, and I don't think I could go backwards knowing how good we have it now. From "little" things like being able to map directions from virtually anywhere or having information at your fingertips, to important advances in research and medicine. We take most of that for granted, but it really is amazing.

What Guys Said 8

• Actually, to listen to the "Great classic rock", you would have to be born in the 50's and come of age in the late 60's - early 70's.

I was born in late 1967 and DID come of age in the 1980's, and caught the grunge wave of the 1990's. Had Mr. Cobain not topped himself, he would be my age.

• Yes! Born in the early to mid 70's and experience the best era of Rock' N' Roll. I'm just glad I was still born in the 80's and didn't grow up glued to an iPad or a phone. As useful as they are in today's society kids now a days don't go out and play outside or ride there bikes everywhere anymore, which is why kids are getting fat! I vow to restrict the amount of time my kid will use electronics at least until they are 14 or so.

• If you wanted to enjoy the music of the 70's then you actually wanted to be born in the 60's so that your teen years would be in the 70's.

• It would be kinda cool to be born in the 1940s USA in order to enjoy the 1950s. I'd also probably try to start a business and employ everyone regardless of skin colour, religious background or sex. I would earn so much money that way since I would only take the best of the best and everybody would be trying to get a job at my company. Not sure what type of company though.

• I'd choose 1920s that would put me as an adult right in the era I actually want to be in.

• Life only ever gets better. I wouldn't trade even just the medical advancements that have been made in the past 10-20 years for any stupid music or fashion trend or any other cultural phenomenon.

• I'm glad to have been born when I was (1996)

• If you were born in the 70's, you would've been a baby during all the classic rock concerts.