Are you politically correct?

The title says it all; do you consider yourself to be politically correct? Vote in the poll

Political correctness reffers to using language, actions, or policies seen as being excessively calculated to not offend or disadvantage any particular group of people in society.
Recently it alsoseem to have gotten an aditional meaning of using language, actions, or policies seen as being excessively calculated to not offend or disadvantage minorities or less abled groups in society, sometimes at the cost of the majorities or better abled groups in society.

• Yes, always
  • yes, often
  • sometimes
  • no, rarely
  • no, never

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm rarely PC. I'm polite, but I don't gloss over things because it might offend somebody. I am only PC (or at least I choose my words carefully) when the topic of discussion is physical or mental disabilities, as I've been personally affected by those issues both directly and indirectly. For example, I will never use the words "retard" or "retarded" in a pejorative way, unlike many other people who do. It's basically a slur and is as unacceptable as the N word to me.

Other than that, I tell it like it is. I say it politely and fairly which is way more important to me than being PC about everything.

• that's a good attitude. Tell them what they need to hear, be polite about it, but make sure they get the message.
      +1

Most Helpful Guy

• politically correct need to die away from me.
    And these kinds of people always have to make it known that they are in no way at all racist, sexist, anti-gay etc etc to everyone around them. -_- Like a defense mechanism just in case someone tries to hurt them.

Its stupid and just makes everything boring. With political correctness Good Bye South Park

What Girls Said 1

• Yeah, when necessary I am. I don't understand why so many people have an issue with it. Political correctness is a positive thing and encourages tact and politeness. It's not a case of bringing down the privileged groups down at all.

• I don't have a problem with telling things the nice way, but when it's "excessively calculated" the problem is that the message can oftentimes be lost in the sugar coating. It might end up soundling like "you might be a little bit ill" when they're in truth are dying from cancer in less than a month.

That's what worries me about it, that sometimes it can be too much ^^

What Guys Said 6

• People get offended by everything. People are afraid to speak their mind. The USA is becoming full of weak "squids". We are becoming militarily weak, and pulling out of wars. If this mentality happened during WW2, we would be speaking German or Japanese now.

Political correctness is mind control by the squids.

People now want to blame their problems on others, instead of taking responsibility for their own actions. The lack of law and order, and people turning against police is all part of this political correctness movement.

• Nope. Obviously I try to be sensitive to the opinions/beliefs of those around me, but that's just basic manners, not political correctness.

• I don't think about "disadvantaged minorities or less able groups", I just always try to be polite.

• no i say what i want and if people don't like it that is there problem

• Not always. I've offended people with my poor choice of words especially when I was in school.

• PC is just a way to shut down discussion. If you agree to it you concede some point of contention and invite intellectual bullying, and discourage thought, honesty, and empathy.