Does religion cause more harm?

Throughout history and even today religious fanatics kill innocent people. Whether it be extremist christians, extremists muslims , etc. Does religion give people a reason to murder others?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• The followers are the problem, not the religion.

People make mistakes, you have Buddhist monks in Burma killing innocent muslims.
    That's not Buddhism's fault, that's the individual's fault for doing that!

What Girls Said 6

• I am an atheist but I have to defend religion in this instance. Religion is helping a lot of people cope with life, loss and the unknown. Religion might not be perfect, but it helps for those who need it. That being said, 4 Marines were killed within driving distance from my home by a radical Muslim recruited by ISIS just days ago. Some say ISIS is not Muslim, but they claim they are Islamic, so who am I to argue? Almost ALL religions had fanatics at one point or another.
    Moderation is an important thing to remember with everything in life. Religion should be used as an emotional crutch in hard times, not as an excuse to be awful to others.

• It certainly does seem like that but it's important to keep in mind that there's no record of all the good things religion has done for people. Who knows how many people would do awful things if it weren't for their religion? Or maybe some people just wouldn't be motivated to do good things. You never know.

• If people get misunderstood the religion, they might be dangerous but not religion.
    People should be smart enough to understand the point

• no... it is the extremists who ruin it for everybody

• Person, not the weapon.

Person, not the religion.

• No humans cause harm not religion it's just the tool the crazy humans use. Duh

What Guys Said 22

• That depends on who you ask, often times though the followers are the problem not the religion. As followers will sometimes take the message of the religion far to seriously or their own view of it will get corrupted or twisted.

But religion has also helped a lot of people cope with life, loss and the unknown, missionary's also help to provide aid to a lot of countries especially in third world countries like Africa and, Vietnam. There is one Christian down in Africa right now fighting and waging war on the warlords of Africa and putting his life on the line in an attempt to free children and prevent them from becoming child soldiers, he also has a heavily fortified orphanage to keep the children safe, the movie machine gun preacher is based directly off of his life and what he has done so far.

Missionary's also build schools, wells, provide education, medical aid etc to people in these kinds of countries often at the risk of their own life, they also go to safe countries as well and help in whatever capacity they are needed, one of my own friends is down in Romania right now doing missionary work.

Religion has hurt a lot of people in the past I won't deny that, but it is also helping and saving a lot of people.

• I am not religious. However, a couple things:

a) In this modern day and age only one religion has caused global issues and is, for all intents, centuries behind in terms of a civilized society and that is Islam. I read an article yesterday that ISIS now uses babies as ordinance testing. As in, they blow babies up. They are doing this while spouting it is based on Islam while the rest of the Islamic world does little to nothing to stand up to and remove them (all while saying they don't agree with them). On top of that, just look at the immigration issues in the EU and the massive amounts of rapes from Muslim men to native women, it is appalling (especially in Sweden).

2) The past decade has shown a serious decline in western society religious ideals outside of Islam. What has happened in the past decade? Do we seem more together as a society of more divided? I would say, with ease, more divided.

Religion has its place and while some may not (and I am one of them) believe a book dictates decisions we should make there is an obvious connection with many global issues that have been taking place since religion has been attacked (outside of Islam).

• It is true that horrible things have been done in the NAME of religion. But religions have also given people much peace and meaning in life. Many hospitals, schools and higher learning centers were established by religious organizations. Religious institutions feed millions of people every week in the US alone.

• "Religion" is a generic blah word. so I can't answer yes or no. Oh and I have never heard of a extremist Christian before. I guess it depends on what you mean by that I guess. I am extreme in believing in Jesus, but that doesn't believe I will kill all non-believers like some muslims will.

• People say it's the person who is responsible for pulling the trigger. Which is true.

But that person is heavily influenced by the concepts that others feed them in the form of dogmatic beliefs and reinforce through peer pressure. So I voted A).

• I think people corrupting religion do more damage than the actual religions themselves

• Yea just take a look at the crusaders Rape for Gawd Kill for Gawd Land for Gawd nvm I don't think religion causes harm... *sarcasm*

• I think extremists do harm. Ignorance does as well. That was the main problem with the Crusades and such is that the people trusted that the Pope spoke with God. They never questioned it was just what the Pope wanted.

• Religious fanatics kill people? Oh no, they just say they are religious but kill people, these are not religious people. These people dont have any difference than terrorists... Real religious people who love Allah (God) and his prophets can't kill any person. In my religion there is a verse that is said by Allah, "If a person kills one, he/she seems like he/she kills all people", it means killing a person such as killing all people. So a real religious person can't hurt even an ant.

• I don't know I think it started out as a way explaining things and a way of comforting them about death. but people have perverted it over time

• Of course it does. I'd go further and say it doesn't cause any good whatsoever.

• It's not the relegion which cause harm, its the wrong use or you may say wrong interpretation of religion cause harmness

• You don't have to be religious to be a hateful asshole

• If u didn't notice Iraq war wasn't for relgion th WORLD WAR MILLIONS DIED not because of relgion

• Instead facing facts of life

Religion tends to be one sided. Yes, religion alows to find meaning. Are they always correct?

• Religion is the fact in our faces that illiteracy still exists.

• Not religion but illiteracy.

• Money. Power. Religions are the reasons we are at war! Religions being number 1 I think!

• This idea is stupid.
    If god exists the odds are that he's more likely a good god than a bad one.
    Because evil is not a great making property. Its common sense that when you do bad shit, bad shit happens, its not good shit.

So, that being the case if people are doing bad shit "in the name of a good god" its the fault of the person MISINTERPRETING gods word.

Therefore:
    1. If god exists, the so called problems of religion are not a result of religion but a result of the people who are abusing it.

2. if god DOESN'T exist then religion is just a man made thing. Like a fork.
    Do you blame the fork for people being fat?

Yeah. This whole notion is stupid.

• man, this question is way out of my league but i will try to answer it anyway.

as an agnostic atheist, my opinion is that religion not only does more harm than good, but does no good at all. i grew up in a muslim household and i can not begin to tell you how much of a bother religious obligations are. there is nothing more annoying than having to stop what you're doing to make salah. you can imagine how frustrating it was for me when i decided to embrace atheism and realised that all of that was meaningless. in this way alone, religion belongs in the toilet. it is a complete nuisance, nothing more.

some people will argue that religion keeps people from doing bad things, and this was probably the intent of the people who first made up religion. i guess i can understand the logic behind that on paper, but in the real world, does it really? religion never seems to keep people from doing evil shit that they really wanted to do.

• I don't think it makes much difference really. People are just as nasty with or without and they waste their time on earth just as much if they are believers or not. It's the facade of a Potemkin village, it seems to matter from a distance but when it comes down to it it's just paint and canvas.

• Organized religion has much horrific suffering in this world... and I'm in one as a Buddhist. It can contribute some good things, but has the potential to be a force of unfathomable evil.