"I'm sorry" vs "I apologize", do you think one is more sincere than the other?

When I hear someone says "I apologize for..." to me it sounds that they've really given it some thought and regret what they did. Where as I'm sorry is less sincere

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that to someone you hardly know, especially if it's a superior, or a customer, you'd rather say "please accept my apologies" or "I would like to apologize for...".
    Whereas to someone you already know you'd simply say "I'm sorry for my mistake".

Most Helpful Girl

• Not really.
    The sincerity will be in his voice, face, body language/ action.

• "I apologize" could have a sarcastic connotation to it as well, like maybe the other person thinks you're being too serious over the matter that they're apologizing for. Sincerity should be easy enough to feel out and identify.

• @njaybird yeah I guess it could.:)

What Guys Said 3

• I kinda think like I'm sorry is for something emotional, like breaking someone's heart. I apologize is for a action, like breaking your dads windshield lying about it then apologizing later

• Honestly there are better ways to apologize than both of those

• No, both can be just as insincere.

What Girls Said 2

• They mean the exact same thing in my eyes.
    It's just a different way of saying it.

• "I apologize" is more formal, usually used in business-like settings.

"I'm sorry" is more casual, to be used with friends and/or family.