How does American College work, with like majors instead of bachelor degrees? Do you get accepted into the school or course? or both?

Massive Freshman question, but in Aus/NZ/UK its a lot more differently set out I think - well it sounds as if it is.

What Girls Said 1

• In the US you declare a major and then you take courses to fulfill your graduation requirements. So liiiike when I majored in Econ I needed my general education prerequisites and then I had to take x many credits of course focused work including classes a-k and y many credits had to be upper division. Once I met all the requirements I was eligible to graduate with my bachelors.

You get accepted into your school and then certain majors have different requirements. Like if you wanted to be accepted into a language program your language skills had to be at a certain level and you would have to test in to prove you had those skills. There are also honors programs but I'm not really familiar with those.

Does that help?

What Guys Said 1

• You get accepted into the school then pick a major. They like you to declare the major sooner than later but you can go a year or so of generaly studies before they really pressure you to pick something final to do.