Is this racism?

My IT teacher said that we were going to do a test today and we needed to login to a computer. There was a problem with my login as well as other peoples. I was the only brown girl who had a problem with logging in. She sorted out the rest of the others problems and I still had my hand up. She said she will sort out mine in a minute. I sat their doing nothing for more than half of the lesson. My friend next to me said she's so racist. I was like yeah. Then about 20 minutes before the lesson was over she finally came to me and sorted it out. She sorted out the white peoples' problems first and comes to me when the lesson is nearly over. Is this racism?

Most Helpful Guy

• Absolutely not even remotely in the same realm of being near racism. Grow up, learn to handle issues on your own without blaming others or needing others to walk you through it NOW because... trust me when I say... it becomes much more of a dog eat dog world very shortly for you and if you don't get that mindset now bad things will follow.

I apologize if that advice comes off stern but something tells me you need it so chin up, handle your business, and stop worrying about that type of baloney.

• She helped all the whites, but not her that's racist

• @blondfrog Remember though: "Then about 20 minutes before the lesson was over she finally came to me and sorted it out."

Point being, how the hell do we know that it wasn't some line she just went down. Racism is a serious thing for teachers to deal with now a days so I find these things fairly ridiculous unless there is incontrovertible proof or comments to consider. As it stands, it just seems she was last in line. It has happened to each and every one of us. Hell it happened to me today at DMV as I was passed (no BS) by over ten people because the two tellers "only dealt with Spanish speakers".

Granted I had their asses for lunch but the point is, we ALL deal with that and it isn't a big deal unless specific phrases are stated that go against specific standards.

Most Helpful Girl

• It could just be a pure coincidence, there's not enough evidence here to conclude definitively that she was being racist.

What Guys Said 11

• Hard to say without being there. Remember not to use the word "racist" too much or people will take you less seriously when you are actually dealing with a racist.

• The more you go out of your way to see yourself as a victim, the more you sap your own initiative and ultimately damage yourself. The sad part is that people then look at the damage they've inflicted on themselves as proof that the world was against them all along.

• It's possible but would be hard to prove, she will just come up with some excuse if you try to confront her with it

• I don't think so based on that single problem. I've had the same thing happen to me. Most teachers try to help, but Sometimes the class needs to go on. There is just not enough time. Don't write the teacher off too quickly.
    Good luck!

• It's not racist she was probably just scared you would mug her. Did she invite you to the country club to play golf?

• As always the non white draws the racist card and sees everywhere racist white people. Anti racist is a codeword for anti white.

• No, not everything is racist.

• Yeah it probably is I'd say yeah.

• It's likely just a perception. Let it go...

• yeah it is pretty racist

• It seems so...

What Girls Said 6

• Difficult to tell why she did this. We can't 100% call it racist as there could other reasons. The teacher may have another problem with you, or she could just be incompetent. Either way she sounds like a rubbish teacher.

Is the first time she has treated you differently to others?

• You get teachers who feel the need to pick on one student, don't just assume its because of your race.

• Its not really racism.. She didn't say anything derogatory or behave derogatorily.

The word to use here is

PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT.

• I'm not convinced but I do not live the same experience as you, as a mostly white person.

• Its very possible. I've had a few teachers who acted similar. :/ has she done anything like this before to you?

• No. This is the first time.

• Okay just watch her and you should also write down the incidents and the dates for them

• That is so lame. I'm not sure if it is racism, but your teacher was being a total bitch!

If you feel very strongly about what she did, you should talk to her directly on how her actions made you feel