Gamers of GAG, recommend me an RPG?

Any RPG, if i have played it i will tell you, but go nuts. could be very old from the NES days to now.

Any RPG you played and liked

Most Helpful Guy

• Hrm...

You are roughly my age and I have to assume you've played most of the classics, but I'll list everything that was essential to me growing up as an RPG fan, plus a few into my adulthood. Obviously we all have our tastes and I'll admit up front I am not a huge fan of a lot of the newer, western style of RPG (Skyrim, New Fallout games, etc)

Final Fantasy Series - FF 4, 5, 6, 7 and 9 are all the best of the series, in my opinion. Particularly 4 (and its sequel on the PSP!) and 6 as they are the definitions of what I expect from a Square RPG world and battle system and most of the newer games have deviated from their storytelling and gameplay style that they just do not appeal to me.

Chrono series - Chrono Trigger is widely regarded as one of the best RPGs of all time. It's a must play. (as I'm sure you have) Chrono Cross, while not being as good as the first game, was still worth checking out and playing through. It's a complete travesty that this franchise isn't being continued by Squeenix. They have no idea what they are doing, to be honest.

Dragon Warrior/Quest series - Pretty much the entire series is worth playing as they've never deviated that far from what made this series popular. In particular, I'd say 4, 5, 6 and 9 should all be checked out on the DS or emulator and 8 was really good on the Playstation 2.

Breath of Fire series - The first 3 games in the oft overlooked Breath of Fire series are actually quite enjoyable. It's a shame this entire franchise has been put on the back burner, but the last two games they've released didn't live up to the standards set by the first 3. They did enough to differentiate themselves from the FF and DQ series while making everything feel comfortable. Solid, overlooked franchise.

Tactical RPGs - While a slightly different genre, I LOVE these types of games. Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite game of all time. Both Tactics Ogre games (made by most of the same team that made Final Fantasy Tactics) are both fantastic with deep, serious plots. Jeanne D'Arc for the PSP is another overlooked gem.

I'm quickly running out of room so I'll just list a bunch of random ones that are worth checking out as well.

Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Super Mario RPG, Dragon Age Origins, Legend of Dragoon, Xenogears and probably a dozen others.

It's a shame that RPGs are essentially dying off or shifting to more action based games instead of the puzzle and strategy variety that I grew up with.

• You're right I have played a lot of these. The dragon warrior an breath of fire series I still need to try out!

Final fantasy tactics is actually my favorite game of all time

• I suspected you had played many of them. Definitely check out the Dragon Quest and Breath of Fire games.

Yeah, I can't even begin to express how much I loved Tactics growing up and how many times I played through it and longed for a true sequel that we never got and may never get (the FFTA games do not live up to it)

If Final Fantasy Tactics is your favorite game of all time, I hope you have played Tactics Ogre : Let us Cling Together which was remade on PSP about 4 years ago. I'm actually replaying it now for the first time since shortly after I bought it and actually doing all of the extra content and this game is so deep and so well written that it's insane that I never sought it out prior to the remake. It basically feels like the sequel to FFT that I never got.

The Vandal Hearts franchise is another tactical series that is pretty fun and pretty challenging.

What Girls Said 6

• 33.media.tumblr.com/.../...iomwDe1tyuin7o2_400.gif
    Tales of Legendia (PS2) - Criminally underrated Tales of game. It's games like this that really make me regret growing up without a PlayStation system.

Ni no Kuni (PS3) - I have mixed feelings about this one. The battle system is horrendous which is really a shame, because it's a lovely game, Studio Ghibli did the animated cutscenes and quite honestly it feels like you're playing through a movie they've made. Unfortunately the battles clunk up the pace of the game, but it's still fun and there's actually an easy mode for players who are more interested in the storyline than battling.

Baten Kaitos (GC) - But you knew that. ˘◡˘

Lost Kingdoms (GC) - I actually never made it all the way through this game but I used to play it a bunch and I remember liking the heroine. I'm not sure that I ever fully understood the battle system so I've been wanting to go back and try it out again, I have a feeling I was too young to fully appreciate the game.

• Tales of Legendia was pretty cool! I just disliked the frequent encounter rate... and the fact that you had to trek through the same dungeons twice :p

I'll check out those other three. never even heard of Lost Kingdoms :o

• Yeahh excessive backtracking is never fun. That's what's been keeping me from replaying Skyward Sword :v

If you ever try out Lost Kingdoms you'll have to let me know! It's card-based like Baten Kaitos, but they're very different games. I think once I wrap up what I'm playing now, I'm gonna start a new game.

• First thing that poped into mind is what this guy is talking about. Though you can try all the ones I've played so far. Which the list is on my profile page. XD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Y8TlViRPE

• LOL i JUST watched that last night! :P

• Disgaea is funny as hell XD you want to die at the first boss in the game so you can have the prinny commentary which is funny as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqL1cuGRwT4

• That Arc Rise fantasia looks interesting. Bad voice acting i can deal with since i still love and enjoy the very first resident evil lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVyOCssIXgQ

• Pathfinder
    Dungeons and Dragon (2nd ed it best!)
    Traveller T20
    Champions (super heroes)
    Rifts

My fav right now is Pathfinder. I am playing in 2 different games that we rotate refereeing every 4 weeks...

• I'm so confused lol

• Just imagine reading a fictional book... but instead of reading it, you play it... thats how i'd describe these kinds of games :P

• If you like the Sims, The Sims Medieval it's a good option.
    It combines the playstyle of the Sims with some role-play elements.

• I like playing Dragon Age Origins.

What Guys Said 16

• * = Personal Best of the Best

Old School SNES

*Liberty or Death
    *Oger Battle
    *Chrono Trigger
    *Final Fantasy III (later called Final Fantasy VI)
    *Secret of Mana
    Secret of Evermore
    Super Mario RPG
    Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past

PS One

*Final Fantasy VII
    *Brigandine
    Parasite Eve
    Legend of the Dragoon

PS2

Shadow of the Colossus

PC

*Knights of the Old Republic (NOT the MMORPG the original game)
    *Bauldur's Gate II and Expansion
    *Dragon Age Origins (Do NOT get Inquisition, its an epic fail!)
    Dragon Age II (Did I mention not to get Inquisition? DON'T! Waste of money!)
    Mass Effect
    *Mass Effect 2
    *Mass Effect 3

• Some really good ones on there. never heard of Brigandine though. whats that like?

• Kind of like oger battle, made by the same company, but instead of units of troops, you just have troops. Its turn based, so u actually get to choose who attacks when, and you jave a non linear story line. Its timed, but reasonably so, based on difficulty. You can also choose from 6 factions.

One of the best and underated games out there in my opinion.

• Final Fantasy VI
    Baten Kaitos
    Chrono Trigger
    Legend of Dragoon
    Final Fantasy VII
    Eternal Sonata
    Tales of Symphonia
    Tales of Vesperia
    Skies of Arcadia Legends
    Bravely Default
    Seiken Densetsu 3

That's all I can think of without really looking through my games lol

• Skies of Arcadia is my favourite JRPG of all time.
    Eternal Sonata is my second favourite. Both have unusual settings, beautiful locations, and fun battle systems.

For western stuff, I love the Fallout series. I was never a big fan of swords and sorcery stuff so I can't really speak to that subgenre much beyond the Elder Scrolls series. Shadowrun (the recent one, now on Steam) is a good one.

If you have a 3DS, I whole-heartedly recommend Etrian Odyssey 4 and Fantasy Life.

• That Etrian series looks interesting

• It's extremely hardcore and can get repetitive as you will find some bosses and FOES (minibosses) are stupendously powerful and you need to grind experience for a while before you can face them. Making your own maps is tons of fun and unlike the previous games there's an overworld and multiple dungeons to explore at once now.

• The Last of Us, The Witcher III: Wild Hunt, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Kingdom Hearts I & II, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Fallout 3 (and 4 when it comes out), and the Mass Effect trilogy.

• My favoute RPG's of all time

The Last of us (ps3/ps4 only, but its the best game I've ever played. It recently was recognized for winning the most awards any game has ever won in the history of gaming, so that should tell ya something)

The Elder Scrolls series (Im talking about Oblivion, Morrowind and Skyrim here. Great RPG with A LOT to do in each game.)

Knights of the old republic (both the first and second games are the best star wars games I've played to date)

Star wars Jedi knight series (from dark forces II to jedi outcast and jedi academy. Great games where you truly get to feel like a jedi. Jedi academy was actually the first pc game i ever bought)

• The witcher 3 but you gotta play the last two to understand stuff

• Tales of Phantasia (SNES VERSION! The GBA version is crap)
    Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger (obviously)
    Ys Origin
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky [First Chapter / Second Chapter]

if you have a Nintendo DS, you should play The World Ends With You

• also Golden Sun 1 and Golden Sun 2 for the GBA

• the PC port for the second chapter just came out like a week ago

• If you play LoH: TitS (lmao, tits I never noticed that) then I advise for you to use a guide so you don't miss out on any BPs.

• Rifts, or d&d

• Zelda II: the Adventures of Link. While many people wouldn't think of a LOZ game to as an rpg, it is one. Though, you may want to get a walkthrough or you may have trouble with it.

• Best game i have ever played in my life.

upload.wikimedia.org/.../Legend_of_Dragoon.jpg

• Persona 3 and 4

• Mass Effect trilogy, Star Wars:TOR (does get a bit repetitive though), Granado Espada Online EU, TERA

• FALLOUT 3 & NEW VEGAS

• Skyrim or fallout

• Fallout, Elder scrolls, Titan Quest.