Does this make you less of a man?

Some asshole on anon was arguing with me saying that if a husband agreed to stay home and care for the child he had with his wife while she worked (made around 400k), he would be less of a man. I even said that he would only be out of work until the child was old enough to go to school and still he apparently wouldn't even consider him a man. Do you agree? I want to think this guy is trolling me, but I think he's serious. I mean, if you respect and love your wife enough to do that, I think it makes you manlier. Smh.

Most Helpful Guy

• Lol you can't really be serious on actually believing his bullshit..

It takes a MAN too do that, stay at home while his wife works. A COWARD would abandon both and go on with his pathetic life...

Your husband obviously loves you unconditionally..

Most Helpful Girl

• No it definitely doesn't make him less of a man especially since he's raising a kid

What Guys Said 16

• Men are built, biologicly speaking, for certain tasks. One of those is providing and staying home and child rearing would prevent him from doing so. Divorce rates skyrocket between couples where the man is a stay at home dad both from the women and the men. I think it is more that it makes him less of a man in his eyes and biologicly rather and that is what informs society. We pretend there is no diffrences between genders but this is very much not the case. We could argue that society makes him feel that way, but then it could very easily be argued that you thinking it is fine is also driven by societial views on gender. In short, it doesn't matter what this guy said, what matters are facts, and they would seem to point to this being more emasculating rather then empowering. To each there own, however to ignore the hundreds of years of evolution that have turned him into a providor by nature would seem to be rather foolish.

• There are no hard and fast rules about who does what. It is only down to who does what the best and if it suits your particular needs as a family. If a man stays at home while the wife works and earns good money, then that's perfectly OK. He's a good man. In the UK, several years ago, there was a stereotype Northener that believed he was the hard working breadwinner while the little wife stayed at home tied to the kitchen sink. I can say that as I was born in the North! Thankfully, in the 21st century, that's largely gone.

This guy sounds like he's a typical Northener from the mid 20th century, just an out of date arsehole!!

• It doesn't make you any less of a man , and for kind of money I'd do the house cleaning in a dress if it kept her at work , lol

• i disagree i recently commented on a similar question (if not the same)
    I said i would love to be a stay at home dad

sounds like insecurity to me, dont take it to heart, if your husband is insecure already, be careful but if he seems secure, y'all should be fine

• Agreed. Furthermore there are statistics showing that stay-at-home dads are poison for a healthy relationship.

www.nytimes.com/.../...marriage-mean-less-sex.html

• I agree, if they are financially sound their is no more mold for which spouse has to stay home and attend to a child, thinking it's only a woman's priority is plain ignorant.

• I hope he is a troll too - It would be sad to think we have idiots like that on this site

• If I had a wife and kids, I'd judge my manliness by the happiness of my family, not the approval of an anonymous twat on the Internet.

• One parent raising the kid the other the bread winner makes perfect sense just because this time its genders switched its wrong? That's retarded to think that way

• Biologic drives are very powerful, hundreds of thousands of years of evolution don't generally go away just because you want them to.

• i don´t think the guy was trolling. it´s an outdated way of thinking but some people just are retarded. i personally would not see a problem doing this. i´d even agree to do it myself.

• I wouldn't mind being a stay-at-home dad. With women excelling in the work place like they are now, I may actually wind up as one. lol.

• Who stays home with the children is something every family decides on their own, and I actually respect men who stay home with their children!

• Men should have jobs

• Most of the world agrees with him, although probably not many on GaG since most people here are weak pussies who don't want to disagree with you since it's the closest thing they'll get to positive female attention.

• No but it might be seen wrong by society.

• A man does whatever he has to do to live up to his responsibilities first and foremost. He doesn't put his ego or convenience first. Guys who do that are strutting clowns.

What Girls Said 2

• I. disagree.

Although his perspective is ignorant I think he has a very "old school"way of thinking. he believes women on the home providers and men are the financial providers

• Who cares what he thinks whatever works for your family is what is important.