Should parents be able to hit their kids?

I was hit as a child, this caused me to develop a mental disorder called "Respect For Others".

Let's be Clear, I Do NOT mean Beating a child. I mean hitting, a light Smack that does injur or bruise a child. What's your opinion?

• Parents should be allowed to hit their children
  • Parents should not be allowed to hit their children
*Does not injur or bruise...

Most Helpful Girl

• It makes me cringe to see people hit their kids. I don't know, I just think there are better ways to parent, to me it teaches children that when you don't do something you're supposed to do, you get hit and to me it just violates boundaries. I think if you're too lazy to look into better ways to discipline your children, then maybe you shouldn't have any.

• I see is as a punishment for doing something bad. It prepares you for the future because you know there are consequences to actions, and you aren't always going to get it easy.

• I don't know, I think it builds respect.

• I just think it's odd that someone feels justified in hitting or spanking a child lol. I mean i'm around my niece and nephew a lot and I could just never hit one of them.

Most Helpful Guy

• Not every kid needs to be hit but some definitely do. Especially the children I see now a days. I've seen children yell at their parents and get off with just a scolding and I'm like wtf. Then in another 5 minutes they'll be at it again. I'm against child abuse but a whooping now and again can instill discipline into a child. Up until about 9-10 years old I was physically disciplined and even that was rare because by that age I knew better. So yeah hitting should be allowed as long as a parents knows how to use discretion.

What Girls Said 11

• I think there's a difference between discipline and abuse. I think smacking a kid on the butt is fine. When I think back to my childhood, anytime I was ever spanked, I deserved it.

• Yeah I was hit too:) hahah a mental disorder called respect for others😂 that's brilliant

• Yes but sadly you need to out smart the kid to make them learn they shouldn't do something.

• Sometimes , a light smack is needed.

• I believe in spanking a child with your hand but nothing else. No belts or wooden spoons or anything of the sort. You should have to feel as much pain as the child. No bruising or lasting pain.

• Yea I used to get hit with a belt as a kid

• Words don't always work. If my parents just tried to talk to me all the time, I would be inclined to do bad things since I know that they are just going to talk, and not do anything about it.

• because it's consider child abuse

• I was smacked as a child it would never leave me bruises or nothing like that overall i was a happy child and I understood why I was getting hit I thinks it's ok as long as your not over hitting the kid like leaving him bruises or punching them now that's not ok

• Spanking is good sometimes for dicipline and helps to teach what is correct, what is wrong

• There needs to be clear guidelines and consequences, not just popping them

• I was spanked as a child and helped discipline me. I'm not sure if it's relevant now but I like being spanked and slapped now more than ever, but by my boyfriend of course.

• It's not relevant, that has more to do with you being sexually submissive.

What Guys Said 18

• it's not okay to beat your wife/husband or random people, but the moment you beat your own child it's called "corporal punishment" and made okay by the law?

WHAT
    THE
    FUCK
    ?

• for whomever thumbing me down, go study some psychology!

or simply read ym "noob's guide to why hitting your kid don't work".
      1. you hit your kid for taking a toy when they're not allowed to play. The kid remembers, and the nxt day in kindergarten YOUR child hits an other child for trying to play with a toy when they're not supposed to play. Yes, that's what you're teaching your kid; that violence IS the answer.
      2. What kids need is constants! They need to know what reaction they get! And no, you don't "only" have words. Ground them! Remove their i-pad! Don't let them have candies on saturday! Don't let them play with the other kids the next day!
      Those stings equally much, and does NOT teach your kid that violence works.
      3. It has been linked to abusiveness later in life, increased chance of depressive symptoms and depression, and several other behavioral problems.
      Sadly most sources are paywalled, but i can link to a simple summary: http://www.angriesout.com/parents10.htm
      www.huffingtonpost.com/.../...ience_n_5831962.html
      (that one got further links to researches)

• TL:DR sorry, but research says spanking is wrong.

And i trust research more than the common joe crying "i turned fine". Because research relies both on quantitive and qualicative researches, that are often cross-checked to find indisputable trends.

• By hit do you mean punch or slap? because that is about the only thing I can think of that would make sense with what you've said.

I was spanked with a leather belt, mouth washed out with soap among other things whenever I did anything wrong and I turned out just fine. My parents never hit me though.

• Are you sure that "Respect for Others" came from your parents hitting you? Maybe it came from them actually teaching you about respect quite literally.

Anyway, I'm not terribly against it but kids really have to understand the reason why you're doing it. That bit is very important. I find it sad how easily some parents lose their temper, always scoffing at their kids when they do even minor things wrong. As a parent you're expecting entirely too much from a young child that way.

• Like if the kid is trying to touch the stove you slap their hand away. I think it depends on spanking. The problem with discipline is some parents cross the line and do it out of anger and frustration instead of truly trying to discipline the child

• Yes and I would say doing it out of anger is wrong.

• I agree with that idea of spanking not abuse

• Come up with your own ideas instead of regurgitating memes.

http://memestorage.com/_nw/60/26428905.jpg

• meme
      miːm/Submit
      noun
      1.
      an element of a culture or system of behaviour *passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means.*
      2.
      an image, video, piece of text, etc., typically humorous in nature, that is copied and spread rapidly by Internet users, often with slight variations.

• Oh shit, he's swallowed a dictionary, now.

• That's right, you don't mess with the lexicon master!

• Hell yeah I agree with it

• All my friends that weren't spanked or hit as a child are douchebags. So yes, beat your kids to a degree or some other forms of punishment other than say having to hear you lecture for 1 hour.

• You can go to jail for beating a dog but its okay to hit your kids. Shouldn't it be easy to answer based on those facts?

• Hit - Yes
    Abuse - No

• Oh please my mom shot at me with a bb gun, held knives to my head ad neck, and even bashed me into a wall and you don't see me call CPS. today apparently just whooping a child is abuse.

• Light smacking on the bum IF NEED BE. There is no reason too hit a child, no matter the issue. Pen beats the mighty sword.

• I'd do it anyway even if I wasn't allowed. WHAT YKU SAY TO ME BOIIII *thwack* lol

• Yea but sadly to many parents took it to far. If I have kids in the future and they act out I'm just going to throw them over my shoulder and take them out to the wood shed.

• Nope not even a thing no one should hit anyone I disagree on this

• It's allowed in my country. They're a hell of a lot more respectful than what I've seen in US schools. Even the one who are considered bad are more respectful

• stops them growing into little shits

• I was smacked (not bashed) occasionally as a child. It did me no harm. There's a time when it's needed. I quickly learn't when to do as I was told and I've turned out just fine