People always tell me im pretty for a black girl why?

I was at school and this guy came up to me and said im pretty for a black girl what is that supposed to mean? aren't black girls pretty?

Most Helpful Girl

• Theyre prob just talking about their racial preferences it doesn't mean anything but the fact that you're pretty

• They think you're hot but, don't prefer the black race, basically

What Guys Said 5

• It's casual racism, and I'm sorry you had to endure it. Stay far away from that one.

Anyway, I'm sure you're a very nice looking girl, no racial qualifier necessary. :)

• That's the kind of racism you'll have to put up with in life.
    They mean, they expect black people to be ugly but you're an exception. People will say "aw, it's just a preference", well, they're speaking out of their arse. It's not like they go up to white people and say "you're pretty for a white girl" because they would expect white people to be good looking.
    If anyone else says that to you just say: "What, am I supposed to be ugly?" and just watch as they get nervous.

• Poor word of choice.

• Fuck that lame chump. Why even care what his opinion is? That racist chump isn't about shit.

• Means that they think black girls in general are less attractive than girls of other races. Sounds racist to me.

What Girls Said 9

• It's a back handed compliment.
    It implies that the person does not find black girls attraction but you're an exception because you are.

Some people say this without thinking and mean no harm by it.

I really think people should think more into what they say, and give a compliment without insulting an entire race.

"You are pretty" would have been better in my opinion.

• It means people say stupid shit all the time and don't think before they speak. I've heard, "You're pretty cool for an old chick," and, "You're kinda pretty for a fat girl," and, "You're smart enough for a woman," and many others. They come to realize that something that isn't in their narrow-minded little world is actually something acceptable. Take it as a compliment. They're growing, and in some way you just contributed to that.

• They are. I'm black (hispanic too, but I look more black) and I get told I'm beautiful, hot, sexy, pretty, gorgeous a lot. I'm very awkward about replying to compliments, haha. They've never told me that I was (insert compliment) for a black girl. Black girls are pretty. Anybody who says they aren't is a racist mf. Just because you may not be attracted to a certain race doesn't mean they are ugly.

• But, it doesn't mean they are pretty too? By your own logic, isn't saying black girls are pretty just as racist as saying black girls are ugly? You are judging the girls on their color...

• LoL, I know you were trying to help. My first line was really me just joking around because I know a lot of people on here who actually DO nitpick about others' opinions and are not trying to be nice or helpful. I hold none against you Juicy Brain. :)

I get that they are a... half-step closer to being a little more open minded, but I just don't feel I can accept a compliment like that. While it may be nice to know I'm the exception in their ignorant closed off mind, I still feel that if you are going to give me a compliment, then give me a REAL one. I'm not accepting anything less. When they tell me 'You're really pretty' and exclude my race from that compliment, then I'll accept. I'm okay with you saying something regarding my skin tone & saying, I dunno, I'm a pretty shade of brown, haha, but if it's saying 'I like your skin color. I don't usually like darker skin tones,' then that's not okay either. A lot of people know what they are doing when they give that backhanded compliment.

• I don't trust that they are saying it with the intent of being nice at all. @JuicyBrain

• that's like non-white people tell me I'm pretty for a white girl - I guess they just wanna be nice and don't really pay a lot attention to how it could be interpreted. I wouldn't think too much about it but just be happy I was getting complimented if I was you :)

• They don't think about black women as an attractive group of people. Like 'Wow, you're black AND pretty, whoa. What do ya know'

• everyone gets those types of comments. just shrug off the assholes.

• It's everyday racism. The saddest thing is they don't even know they're doing it and you don't wan't acknowledge they're doing it because it hurts you to know they are still racists out there.

• cuz racism and standards

• Most black girls aren't pretty