Why is nothing really being done about the rising cost of college across the United States?

Most Helpful Guy

• The outrageous cost of college will continue as long as private banks can turn student loans into big money, and there is little to no oversight into what colleges charge.

The reason that it is not found in other developed countries is instead of forcing students to the banks and spending the rest of their lives in debt, they actually raised taxes on the rich to pay for everyone, and they dont allow universities to charge literally whatever they want. I mean some countries even PAY students so they dont need to work and go to school.

But God forbid we do that here in the states, no the big bank CEO, or the Ivy league Dean, needs another solid gold toilet seat, so fuck all the college kids!

What Girls Said 2

• Oregon is one of a few states looking into free associates and Bernie Sanders has proposed a way to fund free bachelors and beyond. It really irks me that universities spend money on stupid things and then whinge about how the cost of attendance going up

• I don't know man. I've been contemplating pursuing my art degree out of the country, like in Canada or Germany where higher education is affordable

What Guys Said 11

• Because we (the consumer) are the main reasons it's going up.

The main reason why college tuition is rising is due to supply and demand. Back in the days, not too many people went to college because there was not too many jobs that required it and this resulted in low tuitions prices because the state covered most of the bill through fundings. However, a lot of things have changed in the past 20 years. Employers have now put it in everyone's head that you NEED a college degree in order to succeed. This created a large demand for college degrees which forces colleges to expand and grow bigger. In order to expand you need more money and since the money given to colleges by the state through funding simply isn't enough to keep up with the huge influx of students along with advances of technology such as research labs, computer labs, staff salary, clubs, fraternities, sororities and paying for college sports, they are eventually forced to raise prices.

The U. S Government have actually contributed more into raising tuition, since they hand out loans (which you don't even have to start paying back until 6 months after you graduate) to practically anyone. Loans essentially put students in college on the basis on "I'll pay you back later". This notion forces colleges to raise prices again since the government is essentially handing out "free money" to anyone who apply.

The only way college tuition will go down is if people stop going to college in large numbers. If demand decreased, then supply will have no choice but to follow as well.

• The main reason its going up is we are allowing them to charge whatever they want, so they are taking everyone for a ride.

• @genuinlysensitive ! Yes that is true. The consumers do allow this to happen, by continuing to pay for rising tuition even though they know it's wrong. If criminals feel they will always get away with a crime, then they're going to continue to do the crime. But the concept of supply and demand along with the fact that we have been indoctrinated into thinking we NEED a college degree is what make us keep giving colleges absurd amounts of money.

These soaring tuition prices would have never been tolerated back in the days when colleges were much smaller and everyone knew that a college degree wasn't needed to acquire a good high paying job.

• Also, simply put they can get away with it. No cops = lots of bad guys.

• Because university administrators wield an enormous amount of political power and influence, and because it is in their interest for salary and other costs to be passed on to students.

@LiveFreeorDieHard is right about the need for extensive change. That level of renewal, presumably generated by someone who has not been bought, will be necessary for the country to experience meaningful lowering of university costs. An important part will be slashing of administrative salaries and positions, and permanent hiring of quality teaching staff.

• Go to community college for your first two years. Bam cut costs in almost half. Or do really well in high school and get an academic full ride scholarship.

• already went to a community college, I have my associates.

• Because people are buying into all the bullshit about financial crisis when as far as I can see, there isn't any less money, it's just in fewer hands... and then you have Fox news spinning everything this country needs to have a future.(like education) as "entitlements"

• 0|0
  • Because the government getting involved is whatactually increases cost. When the government insures loans colleges just increase tuition because they know they will never price out the average guy. Sorry to say it but trying to fix it will be one hell of a job, only a bernie sanders type can fix it.

• Yea, insuring loans is the wrong way to do it, there is plenty gov can do that will ensure the cost not only doesn't rise bit goes down.

• Every action gov takes has consequences they can't forsee. I forget what the exact term is but basically whenever gov takes action, a bad side effect happens.

• Need less people with qualifications.

• There has check what Obama done

• not knocking against what he has done but I'm getting federal aid for college right now and with the Pell grant AND the stafford loans, I'm still $4,000 short. ... I have absolutely no way of paying the $4000 off... and if the college with holds a degree because you owe them money, how is one supposed to get a good enough job to pay them back said money?

• yep I've worked year round for the last 2 years nearly... with gas and other expenses I've only barely been able to save up to $1000

• The only other option is to find another highwr payung job, or give something up, likely for me there a finish line program at my college.

Imagine a scholarship that pays all your debt if you are going to grant very soon, very hard to get

• Ah yes, tax the rich because it's not like it's their money or anything, it belongs to us!
    We were just letting them hold onto it for a while. It's ours because, because, well, we want it to be!.

And they stole it from us in the first place, yeah, that's right. I'm not too clear on how they did that but clearly they did or they would have so much more than me.

• everyone is entitled to their opinion.

• " If corporations and households taking in $1 million or more in income each year were now paying taxes at the same annual rates as they did back in 1961, the IPS (Institute for Policy Studies’ (IPS) researchers found, the federal treasury would be collecting an additional $716 billion a year. In other words, if the federal government started taxing the wealthy and their corporations at the same rates in effect a half-century ago, the federal debt to investors would almost totally vanish over the next decade."

• That's a lot of rationalization. The fact is in a market economy what you get is what you deserve, there is no other definition of 'fair' or rather there are as many definitions as there are people. If someone got what they have legally it belongs to them if they didn't they should go to jail. Maybe some of the rich belong in jail but you aren't advocating taking money from the criminally rich, you are just advocating taking from them because they have more than you. You say you would love it if you didn't have to be a hypocrite. What's stopping you? Just quit applying rules to others you won't follow yourself.

• It's because of the feds. They give grants for stuff, then the college has to maintain them. Also, the loan sharks can make a shitload of money.

• It's ridiculous ik. I'm paying 60'000 a year. Go to uni, spend the rest of your life trying to pay for it. Die