Do you think Chivalry and Traditional gender roles and values should be forced down on men in today's era?

Just curious. I see a lot of men on GAG forcing these viewpoints down on other men and not let them live their lives freely with their own independent beliefs. These same men tend to attack other men who don't subscribe to their traditional gender role values philosophy. I usually just tell them directly to fuck off if they can't handle other men not having the same viewpoint or possessing the "protective alpha male" instinct as them.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't have any ill-feelings toward people who still believe traditional gender values. They can believe whatever they want and live their family lives however they want. However, it does irritate the shit out of me when some of these traditional people (especially the men) try to preach their "protective alpha male" and "women are valuable treasures that should never be disrespected" bullshit on me and then get butthurt when I don't subscribe to their philosphies.

Would you look down upon men for not being traditional or putting women on pedestals?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• It shouldn't be forced. It should be a choice. I act like a lady and treat a guy like my king so I prefer a more traditional guy who will be a gentleman and that's the type i tend to go for but not everybody has to be that way. Oh and nobody should put anyone on a pedestal.

Most Helpful Guy

• If it was forced then it would be no different from slavery. I think the whole point that people admire is just doing something for someone else with nothing to gain. If they do it because they are afraid of being punished for not doing it then it kind of takes away the whole admirable part of doing it in the first place. I think we should stop saying chivalry because that does apply specifically to just guys and just incorporate chivalrous acts into manners that everyone should be courteous to do for all those around them.

What Girls Said 5

• I don't think forcing beliefs down anyone's throat is okay, really.

Personally, I like when a guy makes me feel safe, protected, and taken care of. I'm sort of submissive by nature though.

As far as chivalry goes, I think it's nice having the door held open for me, but I definitely don't expect the guy to always pay.

• Nope, I don't.
    If they want to be a gentleman they can, if they want to be extremely traditional they can...
    They will be familiarized with the traditional roles for sure - one way or the other, but will they ever be familiarized with manners - only their parents can tell you that.

• You cannot force someone to believe something they don't believe in. You cannot control what is in their brain... (at least not yet, i'm pretty sure they're working on it though)
    Some people are just annoying, they for whatever reason feel they have to be right all the time and also feel they need to share their opinions with everyone.
    I just ignore them, or give them a look that says "you're a moron" and walk away. I have no time for such bs.

• As long as I am being respected, I dont mind how a guy acts towards me.

• I admire gentleman qualities and I'd like to marry a man that can prove to me that chilvary isn't dead. But I don't think it should be forced on to them, it's a choice.

• I don't mind being a chivalrious gentlemen as long as the women don't take my gestures for granted and I actually receive thoughtful gesture from my woman at least once in a while.

• I don't know. Maybe not shut the door on my face when I try to walk into a store (that has actually happened to me before by a woman) or hold an elevator for me on my way to the higher floor.

Again, I don't mind being a gentlemen but at the same time, I don't like it when women expect things from me because I'm a male.

• Well I think any decent person wouldn't shut the door on their face, that's like completely ignoring their existence. But I usually have problems deciding whether to hold the door for someone farther away.

What Guys Said 5

• Biology dictates gender roles, society exaggerates them. I think the reason some get upset is because traditional gender roles are bashed constantly as sexist, especially towards women (ironic since the man is expected to pamper the woman and potentially die for her) So they get overly aggressive. I don't think it matters so long as facts are acknowledged, like biological diffrences in women and by extention biological motivators. Beyond acknowledgement of scientific fact, well it doesn't matter. Its your life, as long as you don't force your ideological views on them they shouldn't be forcing there ideological views on you.

• I mean I can definitely acknowledge the biological differences between men and women (such as pregnancy, periods, etc.). I just hate how society greatly exaggerates them and then use them as bullshit excuses for both men and women to commit horrible actions and poor choices or be rude or have this sense of entitlement to be treated like one's more valuable than the other. Thus, that creates these unnecessary gender double standards.

• Not so much exaggerates as misrepresents. For instance some say men and women are naturally not monogomous because of higher sex drive in males. This ignores the fact that the sex drive was to push them into taking riskier behavior in order to prove there worth so they could mate. There statments completely ignore the fact that most people would be dead if they were as promiscuis if it wasn't for modern birth control medicine etc. They remove a basic factor simply because its not an issue now and act like it was never an issue. But yeah, its usually half truths. Yes men where providors for women due to child rearing etc, nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't really apply now. Also the providor status was infact conditional which we continue to remove said conditions creating entirely new situations so most arguments are inaccurate when it comes to it. Bottom line, a person does what they want, nature/events dicide if that was the right decision, not society or people. Thats nature.

• In short, yeah I concurr.

• Personally I think chivalry should be taught at an early age to both boys and girls. Quite frankly, we're all raised differently. Some women expect it. Some have never experienced it. Some men still do it some men have never been taught that. Today is an interesting one. Men today feel as if it's not necessary, rightfully so, women want to be treated as equals. Yet some women still expect men to be chivalrous and treat them as an equal. This is contradicting, being chivalrous implies that the woman is incapable of doing things for herself. That is not equality. So therefore chivalry isn't alive today. Should it be brought back? I don't know. It's touchy. Personally I think some women are not worthy enough to be treated right. That's my opinion.

• I suppose everyone is entitled to their own view - I only get irritated when people get in my face - I am only really here to enjoy my time on GaG not debate the meaning of life.

• I'm a old fashioned, traditional man and I've never shoved my morals, values, beliefs or way of life on anyone, neither have any of the traditional men I know. You're generalizing on a pretty big scale there bud.

• Does anywhere in my details of my question implied that I believe all traditional people or the majority of them are like this? No, I only said SOME of them if you read what I said carefully.

• @Ihav2fart Where?

Asker, -shrugs- gag is not the best place when it comes to seeing the best in people of any race, gender or way of life. I have rarely seen any actual traditional people on here and I mean truly traditional.

• There was no misunderstanding lol, not on my part at least.

• No, but I do get judged by non-traditionals for being traditional. It goes both ways.