Do you think ''Dog Tags'' is an offensive fashion accessory?

For meI cannot stand when jumped up pricks where them as fashion, Not just Justin bieber, But anyone.

Do you think ''Dog Tags'' is an offensive fashion accessory ?

For those who aren't aware, ''Dog Tags'' are NOT a fashion accessory, Dog tags were invented, So that when a soldier is blown up / unrecognizable after being killed in combat, They can look at his Dog Tags to indentify him and then make the appropriate action for his remains. It makes me feel so pissed off when you see little shits wearing them to ''look cool'' when you think that they quite literally are an identifier for men who have been killed and mutilated beyond recognition, And you see these pricks sporting them around like a fucking necklace.

• Yes, Dog Tags should NOT be worn as a fashion accessory, It is offensive to the men who have died in combat
  • No, Dog tags SHOULD be worn as a fashion accessory, because i'm a swag faggot and have no respect for the dead.

Most Helpful Girl

• Same goes for Che Guevara T-Shirts, not as serious a faux pa but the same principle: wearing shit you have no clue about.

I don't think it's very clever to do so unless you are making a statement, but I think people have the right to dress how they like.

Most Helpful Guy

• You are being overly dramatic. Dog tags aren't just worn by the dead. They are worn by living soldiers, some of which unfortunately die and are identified by their dog tags. A lot of people look up to soldiers and may even want to emulate certain aspects about our soldiers. It is said that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery and this is no exception.

Guys don't even have many accessories that aren't seen as girly. It only makes sense guys would gravitate to the accessories that are seen as being more masculine. That doesn't mean they are disrespecting anyone.

What Girls Said 8

• Personally, I don't really care. And your poll is weird. If I agree that it could be worn as a fashion item, it doesn't mean that I don't respect the dead! That's two complete different things.

• No... that's exactly what it means.
      If you are wearing an Item, That was 100% designed to identify dead people who's bodies have been destroyed, then yeah... no respect for the dead.
      Unless you are dead, in a warzone, and your face is mangled, You should not be wearing a dog tag as its offensive to the people who ARE in that situation.

• Yeah, but calling people "swag faggots" just because they don't have a problem with dog tags being a fashion item is kinda biased, I should say. Also, I have relatives amd friends in the military, and they don't really care about the dog tags.

• Nice way to bias the poll responses =)

• Its hardly Bias though is it?

If you wear them, you have no respect for dead people, there is no two ways about it.

• So tell me then, Why is it okay to wear them?

• Don't presume me to agree with these opinions, but others could see wearing dog tags as paying homage to soldiers, trying to project the soldier spirit, or your favorite, to look cool, but I doubt many of them realize what dog tags are actually used for (much like how many of us don't know that croissants were originally made to mock and celebrate a victory over the Ottoman Empire). Also, who knows. There might be some people out there who get a hold of their family member's or friend's dog tags and wear them out of memory.

• I don't care if someone wears them or not. My mom was in the military and bought me a pair when I was younger.

• I don't like when people wear meaningless dog tags. My brother has two sets they were gifts, he doesn't wear them. Dog tags should be used for what they were intended for

• Exactly!

• Well phones aren't meant for phone calls, and what do our generation do with them now? TEXT

• Phones are meant to communicate and texting is communicating

• I dont really care. They can wear them if they want.

• I guess they think they are dogs

• The poll sure is biased

• Your attitude is just as bad as the "offence" caused by those who wear dog tags.

• You can say Offence or Offense. Both mean the same thing, 'c' is British and 's' is American, i normally say 'c', but i only said 's' to make the red error line go away :/.

• I wasn't picking on your spelling, I understand both are correct spelling

What Guys Said 16

• Well some ones poll sure is biasd.

• Well... if you are wearing a Dogtag to look cool, then yeah... you literally have no respect for the dead...

• What if you are wearing them in respect of a family member or friend that died.

• Unless every single hipster teen ever has had a family member die in the military, then no.

You and i both know the overwhelming majority of people who where these dog tags, are people who just bought them online and think they look cool in them.

• I keep on seeing retards wearing dog tags around their neck as if they are gonna get their face blown off and they're gonna need to know who he is with their tags.

Always one of them spunk gargling douche faggots who think they're hot shit wearing it.

But hey I can't complain
    *irony irony irony so much irony it cures anemia

• Exactly man!

• I get what you're saying, Simply wearing a dog tag is no way near as disrespectful as 'stolen valor', But, it is essentially like walking round with a grave stone around your neck, That quite literally is the purpose of the dog tag, And it just enfuriates me, when people have no idea, that millions have died in those things, and they are wearing them for the sole purpose of 'looking hip', When as we speak, there is guys in a desert right now wearing those things getting butchered.

• Mate , if that infuriates you , you gonna be dying at 19 of a stroke lol
      There's a fuck ton of things to be angry about if.

• They have been a fashion statement for longer than you have been alive lad. And if we are going to start banning clothing items because they resemble military kit the wardrobe choices are going to slim down quite a bit.

And what about cases like a friend of mine who wears his dead uncle's tags? Is that an exception?

... And the tags are less about recognising the mutilated and more about the changing nature of combat. Once armies number in the tens of thousands you can't rely on a couple of officers to recognise them all afterwards, especially with an ever increasing amount of reveration shown to the dead.
    It also stems from an increase in literacy and such famous trends as men wearing letters in their boots or hats for their comrads to give to their loved ones should they die.

• I couldn't give a crap what people wear around their necks. As for your poll, its pretty childish. Calling people "swag faggot" for wearing a dog tag and claiming they have no respect for the dead is stupid. Don't judge others based on appearance cause I'm sure people judge you for what you wear. How do you know that you're not offending someone with your outfit. "judge not that ye be not judged"

• I wear Cog Tags and I find it annoying when these little kids wear them but not like "OH MY GAWD DAY IS RUINED" if they are in Jrotc or something to do with military in school and outside of school I find it cool lol but what really irritates me is how people say so much crap but don't say it to people's faces
    epicgames.com/.../tags.png

• I agree with you and as someone who plans on joining the military later on and comes from quite a large military family with family who have almost been shot or killed in the line of duty I do find it offensive, I do carry a couple with our military's warrior's ethos on it and military values but I do not wear them I just keep them in my wallet. And your poll is kind of biased even I have to admit that, it could have been done better and more respectfully.

• Tbh tho, If you are wearing them around your neck because they think they look cool in them, Then, its not really biased is it? Its a lack of respect for the people who have died in them by treating them like a necklace.

And, I like the rest of your opinion, I want to join the army Next year and have had quite a few friends / family in it too, So this just really pisses me off :/.

• I somewhat agree with you. But, then again, we wear ties, and that was a fashion taken from Croat soldiers (hence the word 'cravat').

• I didn't know that was were ties came from. People also wear bomber jackets, and camouflage which were obviously inspired by the military. In japan school uniforms were inspired by military uniforms. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other fashion had come from the military that most of us just don't know about.

• Having read the poll options, it was kinda obvious you're still a child.
    Really, why in hell would anyone care about someone wearing dog tags? If people like it, let them.
    Just because some military people wear them to be identified after death, it doesn't mean wearing them as fashion accessories is disrespectful in any way. After all, they are just some items.
    And don't tell me anything about what they were invented for, computers weren't invented for you to whine on the Internet either.

• Not really. I come from a military family and I don't think any of the people I know in the military would care at all.

• So, An item of clothing that they have likely had friends die wearing, and used to identify them, they are completely okay with little shits wearing them because they think it makes them look cool? I find that very hard to believe :/.

• I hardly 'dissed' those roles. I understand their importance into the function of the army, And that there is way more of those type of roles required then actual frontline soldiers.
      My point was not that they were useless roles, but that those people, are not going to experience war the same as a frontline troop.
      Sure, Im sure Betty who is an accountant for the Army sewage lostical regiment has dog tags, But, I doubt she gives even a slight fuck about her tags compared John who is in the Marines and just spent the last 4 nights in a trench and had 7 of his close friends butchered who he had to take their dog tags of their destroyed bodies...
      Like i said man, It varies from person to person. But the majority of service men and women do care about their tags. That quite literally was the indentity.

• "But the majority of service men and women do care about their tags." You're making assumptions based off the few people you have talked to. Like I said I come from a military family and most worked in combat roles and they don't really care about the dog tags nor do they know anyone that does. They put more pride in their company patch than they did about the dog tags. What trenches, what war do you think is happening? Few people on NATO's side are killed so one individual who knows 7 close friends that died is a very rare thing. The dog tags are just taken so they can confirm they were KIA. Just relax about it. You make a big deal about them in the military you'll just get crap from your fellow soldiers for being too emotional.

• Is it disrespectful? No.

Does it make you look like a douche? Yes.

They aren't meant to be worn jingling and jangling on show either.

• ... biased question is biased... if you just wanna whine bitch and insult people who choose to wear something you don't like then make it a fucking my take. people can wear whatever the hell they want.
    "oh but it's disrespectful" no it's them wearing an accessory for all you know maybe they choose to wear it because they want to be like those soldiers. you people seriously sicken me... the only faggot i see here is you uppity assholes

• Yes I think it is grossly offensive to the families of anyone who has died in combat.

• I had them as a kid because it was a cool thing to wear and if i was lost it had all of my information. Sooooooo i disagree, however, if you are a grown man wearing them you look like an idiot.

• I'm conflicted. They look really good as an accessory but they're meant for the military. I've never heard about soldiers being offended by people wearing them for fashion even though they would have the right to be offended. I don't think wearing them means you don't acknowledge and respect the military so maybe they can be ok to wear. I hear that some people even engrave them so they can remember significant events in their life.

• I hope they keep wearing them just to spite people like you.

• I'd say Justin has a high chance of being blown up. Not a bad idea to have one. And aside from him, you don't have to be a soldier to be killed. It could happen to anyone