I'm trying to buy a bible but I have no idea which one to pursue?

there's many versions of the bible and i have no idea as a Muslim in search of the truth which version to buy. All these newer versions and translations seam a little to overwhelming and honestly seam like they aren't as accurate because if they were why are there so many updated versions? Surely man can't translate God's thoughts. This is laying me in a dilemma because if i am trying to buy a bible how do i know im getting nothing but the word of god. And I've heard that the bible was written by 40 different authors so how do we know something that was written by man is accurate and just? I'm intrigued to learn more and study it but i need some answers from someone or somewhere. Please help me. Thank you in advance and God bless you all.

Most Helpful Girl

• There are different versions available to make it easier to understand for us. It doesn't take away its accuracy. It simply explains things with less complex words. God used people to write down about his word which is why the bible exists to begin with. I suggest getting a NIV study bible as well as a more older version of the bible. That way you can compare the texts and see what makes sense to you. I have 4 different bibles in total and between them you can get a pretty good idea of a accurate reading. !

• So which ones should i buy as a beginner reading the bible. I'll buy the NIV but what else? should i get the KJV?

• @Asker

Yes NIV and then KJV would be a good second one.

• Anything else sister? How does the king james version differ from say the Gospel of John or Matthews.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have personally found the New International Version to be the best for me.
    The translations are all updated from eachother and the oldest transcripts, so they are all pretty accurate. The different dialect is to make it easier for different people to understand.
    Good luck, God Bless you!

What Girls Said 4

• Doesn't really matter they're more or less the same. They're different translations and translations need to be updated because language changes.
    So you probably don't want to get the original King james bible for English or the original Luther Bible in german, get a newer version , it will be easier. And despite the updates it's not a light read

Of course you can always get the original Hebrew version.

There are some full bibles for students that have usually easy read and have some extra context information. You're probably best of with one of those

• King James Bible is the Best from the Rest because it tells God's Truth when John wrote and finished the bible until his death in prison. xx

• Get a king James version.

• i bought a NIV version earlier i hope that will work too. What do you think?

• Who is king James?

• Nome of the books are true to be honest there are so many changes in the bible that you can't even figure out which one is the true one.

What Guys Said 11

• Forget the Bible, and set your Koran, aside. Jews, Christians and Muslems all know the same 'GOD' but don't realize that this GREAT ONE, is the SAME, as all religions, and all beliefs look to!!
    Someone said "There are many paths to TRUTH, and the road we choose is ours".
    I have read the Bible, the Koran, and the Tanakh. I have read many Asian works, Buddist and Tao.
    The BEST things, I have learned, of all of these, is from people who believe these ways, and just talking with them, about daily things, finding out how we are so much the same, when so many think we are so different!!
    Don't bother with buying a Bible!! Meet a 'Christian' and talk!! Become friends, and share what you know, and realize that we all look for the same, following different paths to 'Enlightenment'!!
    Who is so proud, so great, to say his way is 'RIGHT' when there are so many 'Truths' all teaching the same things, leading to the same destination: LOVE and COMPASSION!
    Send me a personal message, if you want, and I can share my experience, being raised Christian, Lutheran, but finding another path...
    As-salamu alaykum

• not exactly

• I think we are more alike than you want to believe. I HAVE read the Holy Quoran, but I cannot understand some of it, because of my culture, and how I was raised. I have read the Jewish Torah, and Mystic Kabbalah, and I find some things easy to understand, but other are from THAT time, when it was written, and their culture!
      It is the same with versions of the Bible. They were written at different times, and many writings were translated from Hebrew, into Greek, then Latin, then German, before being translated to English.
      When any text is translated to another language, we loose some of the meaning, as words and ideas don't translate, directly. When these texts are translated through many languages, the TRUE meaning can be lost!
      I think that you should read several versions, and decide, yourself, comparing the "Word' of Christians, to what you know, and ask for guidance, in your prayers.
      Seeking the TRUTH, is a life-long journey. I need to know others, and other ways, to find the WAY.

• I think that you are a good man, with a good heart, and I think that we can share many things, about our different ways, offline, in private communication. I have many questions about things I read in the Holy Quoran, and perhaps I can answer some you may have, of the Christian Bible.
      Send me a private message, if you like. Peace to you.

• Well that's a good question my friend, you are wondering which bible? And we are all wondering the same tbh. you have many versions and translations of the bible, you have the Protestant version which has 66 books, you have the catholic version which has 73 books ( that means 7 more books than the Protestant version) and the Protestant call those 7 extra book "apocrypha" which is a Greek word means "doubtful".

You also have the Amharic Orthodox Bibke which has 81 books, you also have another one that has 87 books ( I forgot its name)

And you may wanna take a look at the RSV ( Revised Standard Version) which when was first published, they removed some versus of it including (John 3:16) "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" ... And for some reason, after the pressure and the criticism, they put it back in a newer copy of that book.

So yeah, as you can see, we are all confused and we all ask, which bible? the 66, the 73, the 81, the 87, the one with John 3:16 or the one without John 3:16 ?

@omar5881 thanks for the mention, let the man read whatever he wants dude, I've been reading and learning about the bible for one and a half year, and believe me when I say that the more I read about the bible the stronger my Islamic faith becomes and the more I realize that the Quran is right when it says about the bible " distort words from their [proper] usages" ... Even the Christian scholars agree with that.

• This is a very good place to start!

www.youtube.com/watch

• why would you try and make fun of God?

• Np @Jagger66
      .@Asker: if you want to learn more about religions you also should to learn about the psychology of beliefs like the op stated

• "Really? A chance that religions aren't real?"
      Yes, why do you believe you need an intermediary to have a relationship with the divine?

"Than how do you expect we draw nearer to God?"

The first step would be to start asking questions, even if they make you uncomfortable at first, you will not grow if you do not challenge your self. You will not find truth with your eyes shut.

• genuine question to you. why does there have to be any 1 truth? why does there have to be a god. why would anyone want to believe in a sadistic child that would kill a planet full of people for doing what he knew they would and blaming them for being flawed when he made them flawed. there are too many contradictions in any religion to make them even remotely accurate.

though i use the niv because even as an atheist i read the bible.

• Can't go wrong with the KJV. From my own study, it's probably the closest to the original Greek that I've read out of all of them. NIV is pretty commonly used, as well, but I prefer the KJV over it.

• NIV is the best

• It's good to see a positive post for a change. ;^)

• Bro I am a Muslim what things u don't like in Islam make u search for another relgion

• @YazanAA DO SOMETHING 😨

• Ah I see.

• I just want to know the truth. I want the ilmi (knowledge) from both the scriptures. I am a little uncertain about Islam and a little doubtful about Christianity. I just want to go to Jannah before I die and with doing that I hope to look into both scriptures. I ordered the holy quran to read into too. I am concerned about my faith because i am being open minded to the idea of other possibilities. And after watching some videos and reading some scriptures of both the quran and the bible both make way for a very inspiring and touching religion however both can't be right and hell fire and jannah in the hereafter awaits us all. With that being said had i chose a wrong religion in my search for ilmi (knowledge) I hope Allah (s, w. t) can forgive me.

• For the real deal christian experience any king james version should do The 1611 king James version for the super christians.

• I just want the accurate version from the word of God. I fear that I'll be reading changed scriptures that may change the language or context of the text. But by God's mercy I hope that i will learn to understand it without too much hassle and grievances.

• King James version

• King James bible is quite delicious. King James was gay but thankfully the people that he had wrote it hated gay people. Most bibles go well with mayo or mustard.
    images.sodahead.com/.../...f-food-60855341907.jpeg

• Why are you making fun of the bible?

• Freedom of speech? I can also make fun of other fairy tale books no?