What to do about internalised anger?

I'm really angry all the time. I mean, I don't feel it but I know I am. I never used to be angry, I would just let people do what they pleased because I was afraid.
I'm angry at all the people who have used me as a doormat in the past. I'm angry at all the people who have annoyed me. I'm angry at all the people who have made me feel like an ant. But most of all, I'm angry at myself for letting all this happen. i'm angry at myself for what I've become and what I've let my life become. And I'm angry at myself for simply being myself.
I hate myself and eveyone.
I'm not sure what to do about it. I'd like to punch and destroy everything and everyone in sight but I don't think that will change anything, so what do I do?

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly, I think you should consider talking to a counselor. If you have so much anger and hatred bottled up, it will boil over eventually and the results will not be good. You need to talk to someone and vent your frustrations. You should also try to pick up some self-calming strategies that you can do to calm yourself down and relax.

I know this isn't the same thing but I currently work with a set of twins (7 years old) who were abused (sexually and physically) in the past so they now suffer from extreme anger and emotional problems. They frequently have outbursts and they have no self-regulation ability. I meet with them every week and we do some light yoga together (just basic moves, mainly to focus on breathing and relaxation) and then I color with them. I print off coloring pages and write numbers on the different shapes and we color by number. It sounds so simple but just doing those basic things every week has helped them to relax and become a lot more calm. Everyone needs an outlet for their bottled up emotions sometimes.

A counselor may be able to recommend other things for you specifically that you can do to relax and not be so tense and angry. Just something to think about. Best of luck to you :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm angry most of the time.

Things that helped me:

1). Meditation

2). Changing my thought patterns

3). Exercise

But bro like you said 'they used you as a doormat' and you're angry because you let it happen.

That was in the past. Have you stopped letting people walk all over you? If no, that's probably why you're angry.

I get angry at what my parents do even though they are awesome :)

Goodluck

What Girls Said 2

• Anger is an outward manifestation of emotional pain or feeling hurt in someway. You have allowed people to walk all over you, so now it's time to take control back and make sure when you say "yes" to others that you aren't saying " no" to yourself. Once you stop letting people take advantage of you then people will stop treating you like a "doormat". People only treat you how you allow them to treat you. You need to have boundaries and not allow anyone to cross them. Good luck!

• Sure sounds like you feel the anger to me. What's done is done, being angry about what people have done in the past or what your decisions have lead you to isn't going to do you any good. It's just going to fuel that fire. You gotta try to step away from your emotions and look forward, rather than to the past. You're unhappy with the way things are? Okay, so focus on what you need to do to change it.

You can't destroy your past, you can only try to build a better future. If you want to change your life you need to change yourself. Don't let people walk all over you. Don't hold it in when something bothers you, calmly express yourself and address the issue. Work on fixing the things within your control that you're unhappy with.

What Guys Said 4

• You got anger problems bro, i used to have ot too, the best you can do is practice martial arts or some sport to get some steam off. Try to meditate about what make you angry and the most important thing is to tell the people you are angry with that they are making you angry, dont boil everything inside you it will Hurt you.

• Take up an activity, martial arts to strengthen your focus and meditation to cleans the negative energy from your body... it's a great source of discipline too

• Don't let what happened to you ruin your future
    http://www.apa.org/topics/anger/control.aspx

• I believe that part of it is hormonal. Adolescent years are also rough for a number of reasons... socialization and sexuality being at the top of the list. If you really feel that your anger is out of control, I would talk to a counselor or therapist before you hurt yourself or someone else and end up in jail, the crazy house or the graveyard...