Why are some people so socially conservative?

I can at least understand being financially conservative. But being socially conservative basically means "people are living their lives how they want and I don't agree with that".

Why can't they just forget about the world and focus on themselves instead of others?

Most Helpful Girl

• It really depends on what you're talking about. And the reason people are is because believe it or not, the way you live your life affects others. It shapes schools, communities and governments.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm socially conservative but I don't force my beliefs on others.
    Live and let live

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 5

• It's that whole puritan attitude that if you won't live to our standards we'll force you. Same as Christian conversion, they're trying to save you. Yes from yourself

• I agree with you. We are way too stuck up and conservative in the U. S.

• I've never understood that either. Nor do I understand the contradictory conservative / republican philosophy that says:

Business should be able to do whatever the fuck they want even if it destroys the economy. - Laissez-faire

But individuals should be restricted from doing things we don't morally approve of even if no one is harmed in the process.

Wtf? this is contradictory.

• But you're doing the exact same thing right now -_-

• You're going to have to be more specific. I'm politically conservative because I believe in upholding the Constitution, I am pro gun, pro police, anti abortion, tough on crime. Do you have an issue with any of that?