Do we really want Gender Equality?

Do we as men and women that is, really want Gender Equality?
The modern day feminists claim that women should be equal to men!
I agree, woman should be equal.
Woman should earn equal pay, they should be put in for the draft, they should accept the consequences if they committ a violent act, if they physically harm someone they should expect a counter action, in a hostage situation there would be no negotiation for women to be let go, all these thing some extreme circumstances but quite possible. If women really want to free the nipple then go ahead, just don't be surprised if you catch men staring. I believe woman should be equal in every aspect, what do you guys think?

Most Helpful Girl

• i totally agree! people who dont support feminism often cite the draft and women and children first" things as parts where those who support feminism would be weak on or not want to accept. but no! i believe we should be equal in every way! equal pay, draft, everything!

when people think of feminism, a lot of people think "men haters" and women just complaining just trying to get more benefits wiout accepting the responsibilities of full equality (like the draft and women+hildren first). but no, i feel true gender equality, full feminism, is men and women being equal in every benefit and downside.

and i believe this is a two way street. it means men should be able to express their feelings without fear of being thought as weaker. it means men should get full and equal consideration for custody of a child in divorce. it means men should be able to get to do all the things a woman can without fear of social retribution

so yeah, gender equality all the way!!! :):):)

• I really like what you said. Yes we should be equal. If a woman wants the same job as a man then she should be able to attain it in a fair manner of course. Not just because she's a woman but because she worked just as hard as the man to earn the particular job. My issue with calling Feminism the same thing as Equality is exactly what you said.
      When people think of feminism they think of Man Haters and Bitter Women. That's why I feel we need to start calling it Equality instead of feminism. But the problem that we run into is that there are extreme feminist who do literally hate men. In vise versa of course. So I feel by calling it just "Equality" we can reach a larger group of people.

• yes!!! exactly!! i've never liked the word feminism to be honest. i dont like "isms", I don't know maybe its just me but it reminds me of bad ideologies like nazism, totalitarianism, pessimism, marxism, Patriarchalism. it gives people the idea that feminists want women only power in the world. equality stands for itself. equality for all genders:)

• "i feel true gender equality, full feminism, is men and women being equal in every benefit and downside."
      Yes! Let's reach equality in childbirth deaths!
      Let's reach equality by advocating that 60 million infant boys be killed in order to reach equality with the fact that males outnumber females by 60 million* globally due to female infanticide.**

*http://www. geohive. com/earth/pop_gender. aspx
      ** http://www.unicef.org/newsline/97pr28a.htm

/Sarcasm

What Girls Said 12

• Yeah, everyone should be equal. Some men are naturally going to stare, the way some women stare at shirtless men. It's the same thing, I don't think women are concerned about that, women are more concerned that they can be arrested in many places for wearing the same amount of clothing as men, or can be looked down on for 'freeing the nipple' in totally acceptable situations such as feeding a child.

The rest of this is good, but you neglected to mention that men should also be made equal to women in other ways, such as being listened to in cases of domestic violence and rape, being given equal consideration in terms of who gets to take custody of children, and being able to do things like wear make up or dresses if it makes them happy.

It's not just a one way street, after all. :)

• You, my dear, are one smart cookie.

• Well you'd have to look at different case studies in order to make assumptions or even make a statement really. I didn't literally mean no proof but women do make false rape accusations and it can literally ruin a mans life. Just like rape can literally ruin anybodies life. There's some instances were both parties are under the influence if alcohol or drugs and the next day one might say that they were raped when it very well could've been consensual. But keeping to the topic at hand we should be equal. Men should be treated equally and women should be as well. But the problem is on a much larger scale.

• I did study case studies, as part of my psychology/sociology course :) Well, it's still not technically consensual because they were drunk and weren't aware that they were consenting, however, the law is grey in that case as both of them were drunk and took advantage of each other. I agree with you though, everyone should be equal, but I don't think that pitting men and women against each other is the best way to deal with the issues.

• I believe that women and men should be treated equally in social, political and legal aspects but definitely not physically, biologically or emotionally - simply because this can't ever be achieved...

• 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
      Thank you!
      Exactly, which means that it is physically impossible for us to be equal.
      One of the main reasons why women do not get paid the same as men is because of the things you mentioned. And it is what most employers take into consideration when hiring. Physically: Some women just aren't as strong as men and are physically not able to handle most scenarios in various types of jobs. Biologically: An employer might consider the fact that a woman may become pregnant and take baby leave.
      Emotionally: Most women couldn't handle the mentally and emotionally challenging jobs for instance military in a combat environment or a swat team or what have you. The problem I find just from talking to random women is that most do not want the dirty jobs that most men do i. e. Construction, mining, etc.
      I do agree with your input.

• I agree about the draft and women and children thing. If women are to be equal than they shouldn't be first off a sinking ship and what not. I do however think this is something easier for women to give up than men and I do think it is a biological response for men to want to protect women in this sort of way.

I spend a lot of time wondering if it is cultural or biological. But if you look across cultures you see pretty similar type things and it comes down to women are the physically weaker sex that carries babies and baby makers needed protecting in the pre-industrialized civilizations. Women kind of unconsciously craze it from their Romantic partner but not society in general. Think of all those GI Jane's fighting for combat positions, the first round of them did quite well and performed evenly or better than some of their male counterparts.

• Training and reality are two different things. The real test would be to put a women in combat to see how they'd test out. I do agree some women are "Better Shots" with a rifle but there are talks about lowering the standards to allow for women to be in combat. That I do not agree with. Point being on paper an individual can look great but thrown into a real life scenario the results on paper may not matter anymore at that point.
      I do it my self, I feel the need to protect a woman in danger. But true equality would state that she would not need my help. But there seems to be a double standard. It appears most women want the benefits of being equal to a man but most do not want the responsibilities that come with it. That's just the way it is and always will be. Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever reach true equality.

• Nah. I'm good. I like feeling the protection of a good man. I do agree that EVERYONE regardless of age, sex, race, etc should be treated better and have the same freedoms. I just think that we all need to realize our capabilities. I KNOW that I couldn't defend myself in a war. It's not a strong suit of mine. I prefer to be a wife and a mom. To each his/her own.

• I agree and the argument that women should be allowed in combat is unrealistic. Which is what the marines are pushing for. If a woman is physically and mentally able to be in an environment like that then by all means. However, being that women are physically unable to pass certain riquirements for different combat programs, certain officials are looking at reducing and even lessening the standards that are set for a particular program. This I do not agree with. Standards should never be lowered in order to meet the needs of a specific person or group. I agree with your views I just wish more women were like you!

• Agreed 100%...

• I agree with everything except the hitting part. I'm not going to blindly agree on that because it depends.

• Depends on what? How about we TEACH WOMEN NOT TO HIT PEOPLE. Is that so fucking hard? Women should not hit men. Why? Because men shouldn't hit women. Equality. What a concept. So if you hit a man twice your size, and you wind up on the concrete, I expect BOTH OF YOU to get arrested.

• @Kiran04 whatever dude

• @Kiran04 Ever heard of "pick on someone your own size?"
      Plenty of people have sympathy for small men who hit bigger men and then get beaten to a pulp.
      I believe that a man should be able to defend himself, and a woman should be punished for hitting a man, but that doesn't mean he should beat her to a pulp.

• " If women really want to free the nipple then go ahead, just don't be surprised if you catch men staring"
    LOL. I agree with you xD

• When I read the headline of this question I thought "oh FFS, not another dumbass sexist male"

Once I read the whole thing you actually talk a lot of sense :-). Of course we should have gender equality. I wish more men on here had your brain.

• Yes everyone should be equal. No matter women or men. If a woman wants to have the same job as a man and she's physically and mentally able to then why not? But if she doesn't meet the standard for a particular job than it should be because of that. The standard should never be lowered.

• Yes 100% agree they do. But I think giving it the name "feminism" just sounds stupid.

• I agree we should just calle it Gender Equality.

• Yes. I agree with everything you said.

• I agree with you.

• some people can differentiate between equality and similarity...

What Guys Said 10

• It's the simple case of only wanting things that benefit them personally.

They don't want to be forced into the draft, but they want the choice to be in the military, but they don't want the responsibilities (thus lower physical fitness standards). Look how the military replaced the marines' pull up requirement with a "hanging grab bar" test for the females. A huge amount of females wanted to become a marine and couldn't even do a single pull up. It's a disgrace. If they can't do the work they shouldn't get the job. It's that simple. Put people want to cry "discrimination" without learning what true discrimination is. They then go on these victim parades trying to act like childish martyrs and end up looking like nothing but a bunch of whiners.

• Until feminists actually strive to eliminate injustices in both genders, I'm not, and will not be convinced, that it's about gender equality. It's just another case of "us versus them" and "treat me like we're different or equals depending on whichever one benefits me the most."
    I'm totally for eliminating injustices and sexism towards women. Should women get condemned for going into technical fields like programming? No. I know a lot of brilliant women that go into those fields and I greatly admire and respect them. However, do I think that women and minorities should be the only ones to get scholarships in schools because they're somehow at a "disadvantage?" No, absolutely not. And, yes, I have experienced this problem first hand. I tried applying for scholarship and there was not a single scholarship that I could apply for because EVERY single one was for minorities and women. That's not right. There's stereotyping that happens on males that somehow society gives them an edge and helps them out more than it does women. That's a bunch of bogus. I've worked my butt off ever since I was 11 years old trying to get to where I was. I don't need someone telling me that I'm at an advantage to some woman that has most of her schooling handed to her in a bag. There are injustices on both sides. I want to fight both because they both exist. That's how you get gender equality. And until I see feminists actually concerned with ALL issues of gender inequality and not just the ones that benefit women and put down men, then I cannot be convinced that it's ultimate goal is gender equality. I hasn't been, in the U. S. ever since 3rd wave feminism began.

• I feel like that gender equality is so much more than the superficial things you list there. Those are all assumed. True gender equality got a boost from the recent Supreme Court decision to fully legalize gay marriage. Gender quality also means sexual equality: no discrimination against HIV positive persons, no discrimination for adoption. The list goes on...

• The Supreme Court's decision to legalise equal marriage is good and needs to be celebrated, however, there's a long way to go yet. In many places in America, you can still be fired, kicked out of your home, or neglected service if they find out that you're not straight :/ I do agree with you though.

• That was exactly my point. Discrimination for gender is already technically illegal but no discrimination for sexual orientation.

• Abso-fucking-lutely. While we're at it, let's teach GIRLS NOT TO HIT BOYS. In fact, teach everyone not to hit anyone. I'm tired of all this "boys shouldn't hit girls" crap. No, they shouldn't hit us either. If a girl hits me and I hit her back, WE SHOULD BOTH BE ARRESTED. Not just me because I'm bigger and stronger. The bitch started the fight. That's a crime, last I checked. Prosecute both equally as harshly.

• Hitting women is a cowardly act and it should stay that way.. Unless your life is in danger

• So you're saying that women are incapable of physical harm to men and only carry around girly objects and wear high heels.

And they actually think I'm the sexist one...

• A woman hitting a man is bad but a man hitting a woman is still worse because men are stronger than women.
      Both are bad though.

• I disagree and find it ridiculous. Men and women are different so forcing them to be equal is fighting windmills.

I do find it interesting though that pretty much all girls agree while the guys are more diverse in their opinions.

• THE GENERAL WOMEN can't HANDLE CERTAIN THINGS MEN EXCEL AT, WE won't EXCEL AT CERTAIN THINGS THE GENERAL WOMEN CAN.

we should be equal with different roles that suit us. some women have more masculin in them, some men more feminine. it should be as it fits the individual.

women privilege is the truth in current times. in many circumstances, she will benefit over her male counterpart.

• I believe that true gender equality is nothing but chasing a fantasy. Men and women have inherent differences that are too hard to 'equalize'.

• Men don't hit women.. I don't care if she came at you first.. m

• So if she was running at you with a knife would that make a difference?

• Obviously if your life is threatened you do what you must regardless of what sex has the knife...

• Men and women shouldn't be equal, because they simply are not.
    Women and men both have their own things which their gender is better at.
    For example:
    Men: usually physically stronger, usually better leaders
    Women: usually better caretakers for children, usually better at talking (social things)

Each gender should be praised for the things they're good at. Genders shouldn't be equal in all things, each gender should be treated better in the things they're good at.

• I think the same as an equalist but a feminist won't agree. They want everything equal except double standards. and for the front lines thing there's actually a reason for that (Woman physically just aren't built for it. not being sexist its litterly how every woman is built and how every man is built and if woman did it they would have lots of problems on the battlefield which men would not and it would cause lots of time and lives wasted.). But yes if everything was equal I would be happy cause Woman actually have it a LOT easier than guys. If you actually look it up, Feminists have data that they get less pay but thats because they pick a certain job that pays less than others. If they really got paid less, dont you think a ton of employers would fire all their male employees and hire all females so they could pay them less?

• "If they really got paid less, dont you think a ton of employers would fire all their male employees and hire all females so they could pay them less?" Proof you don't understand feminism.
      It's a subconscious thing, not conscious.

And do women really choose lower paying jobs?
      Or are the jobs low paying because they're female-dominated and women's work is devalued?
      Chicken or the egg...

• @mistixs They are low paying jobs because there isn't much risk in it so yes they do just happen to pick lower paying jobs.