Why do so many people cut?

I swear like every month a friend tells me they cut

Someone is just giving random down votes so gave random upvotes

Most Helpful Guy

• Geez, well I have no clue a cry to be heard I guess, wanting attention.

If it is for suicide they aren't doing a good job, cutting is proven to be the worst method ever for committing it.

So it is probably a cry for help, or attention who knows though man.

What Girls Said 8

• My Dad says it's for attention. That people who cut are selfish attention seekers, which isn't true.

Mum has had experience with cutting and feeling the urge to cut. She said it was because you were so confused with your feelings, you hurt and you didn't know why (anxiety/depression can be really painful) that when you cut, you feel the pain and you can look at the cut and know you're hurt and think 'so that's why I'm hurting'.
    That's how Mum explained it to me.

It's so they can put a reason or meaning to their inner pain and understand why they're hurting, even if it's the wrong pain.

I feel a similar urge, however I don't cut. I instead have a tie on my wrist that I snap against my skin when I'm halfway between normal anxiety and rising to a panic. (which is more often than I care to admit)

• I don't know, it is not something I understand. I hate it, my teen years were plagued by friends self harming and I hate it. I remember one friend waking me in the middle of the night, crying and asking me for help. I turned the light on and there was blood everywhere. Dripping from her arms, all over the sheets, all across the wall... It was fucked up.

• Because they read somewhere on the internet or were told by someone that inflicting pain on oneself releases endorphins in the brain and makes them feel emotionally better... but in reality, it just makes everything so much more worse.

• they cut vegetables? or fruits?

• I used to cut myself and it translates emotional pain into physical pain which, at least in my experience, is easier to deal with. Something you also just feel emotionally numb which is also better than feeling horrible.

• Attention seekers

• A lot of people have problems they don't feel they can handle

• I think it's because that's more physical and might hurt less than pain from the inside. People cut to distract themselves from their real issue and focus on the pain received from that cut :/

What Guys Said 5

• That's what you do after you bulk.

• That is sad that they do so.

• To think about the cutting pain, and forget the problem they're Actually dealing with

• I used to do it and its hard to explain /: but for me I felt so numb and I was depressed ( later got prescription antidepressants and I stopped cutting) I literally lost interest in all my hobbies, in school, in friends. I was like a zombie. I had to literally pretend for anything. And cutting was maybe a little punishment for failures but mostly to feel something. It felt so good to cut and sit in a hot shower and it would sting and I would know that I was alive and still could feel. Its weird to describe /:

• Not condoning it by any means and after the fact when I had to heal I always felt so stupid. It was a fleeting feeling for sure. But I was just trying to describe why I did it.

• 0|0