Holy shit, is that true that black people couldn't vote until 1964?

Fucking 1964? They got the right to vote only 5 years before you send a man to the moon? After Michael Jackson was born?

0|0
2|8

Most Helpful Guy

• Blacks had voting rights since the Abolition but many local laws prevented them using these rights until the Voting Rights Act (1965)
    An act to enforce the fifteenth amendment to the Constitution of the United States and for other purposes, August 6, 1965; Enrolled Acts and Resolutions of Congress, 1789-; General Records of the United States Government
    ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=false&doc=100

2|0
    0|0
    • Actually in many Northern states they had the vote well before abolition and participated continuously since the founding of the nation.

• Northern states indeed...
      Go ask in Dixieland south of Mason-Dixon how they think about Northern Yanks. ;-)

There's a take here calling the US, I quote: "Texas and its 49 bitches"
      That's how the South thimks...

Most Helpful Girl

• Is actually recommend watching the movie Selma. Black people could vote (1964) but they had to take literacy tests to register, so they'd make them guess the number of marbles in the jar or recite the names of every single president, or every senator in history before they could. And you also had to know someone who could vote so they could recommend you to vote but black communities didn't have or know anyone who could recommend them. That's completely what the march on Selma was about.

1|1
    0|0
    • Oh, I was going to watch but completely forgot about it. Thank you.

• Show All
    • I didn't know that. How vile. A test that sets you up for failure before you've even taken it.

• @Remonster yup it was awful. In fact what spurred the while Selma March was three young black girls where killed inside a church. But they knew an all white jury wouldn't prosecute a white offender.
      But unfortunately the only way to be on a jury was if you where registered to vote.
      It's sad to think that 4 kids had to die before change could start happening.

What Guys Said 7

• The fifteenth Amendment should have ended any question of the rights of blacks, but racial hatreds kept the problems going well into our lifetimes. I watched news clips on TV in the 60's showing federal troops in the south protecting blacks from incarceration and violence for such terrible things as attending an integrated school and voting in an election.

In 1965, Alabama State Troopers violently broke up a peaceful voting rights march, and a trooper shot an killed a young man (unarmed) who was trying to protect his mother from the violence. A month later. state and county police stopped a march at a bridge, then shot tear gas into the crown and trampled them. Those incidents outraged a nation to the point that the Voting Rights Act was passed to prohibit racial discrimination in voting. That was in 1965, so yes, the shameful truth is that in America, that kind of discrimination was huge even into 1965.

0|0
    0|0
    • On this site there's daily race baiting and mods who try to stop it are fired. (I know about 2) Yes, it operates from St Louis.

• Um no, black people have been able to vote in most states of the U. S for as long as there has been voting. Black people who were slaves (not all were, a few were even slaveholders themselves) could not vote. Slavery was outlawed in the North from the beginning of the nation and in the South in 1865.

0|1
    0|0
  • When it comes to social issues, the USA is one of the slowest to progress in the western world, though im not sure if your information is correct though when it comes to the USA (assuming you're referring to the USA here)

0|2
    0|0
  • Not true at all. But a lot of Southern states had various laws and ways to prevent them from voting so the number actually voting in such places was low. They actually have been able to vote since independence in a lot of places. Even in the South they got the vote in 1865.

0|0
    0|0
  • You think that's bad women weren't allowed to vote until later

2|0
    0|0
    • Uh... white women got the right to vote in the US in the 20's.

• We might have our dates mixed up, I think black men were allowed to vote earlier than 64 but under certain conditions but I remember somewhere it was afterwards for women but history does have a lot of variables

• So either way not all women got to vote basing it on color, I guess I went color blind their for a moment since I'm not racially biased

• Your information is wrong. Granted our civil rights history is stained with shame and ignorance; however please learn the truth! It'd be awful to be uninformed about the facts. And look up the 15th amendment to the constitution.

0|0
    0|0
    • Your information is wrong. The 15th Amendment notwithstanding, southern states enacted laws to keep blacks from voting. I can remember watching TV in the sixties where blacks were marching for the right to vote and to attend integrated schools. The images of federal troops in place to protect the blacks from legal actions and violence against them gave a stark, chilling look at the racial hatred there. The Voting Rights Act helped overcome a lot of this and that was in 1965. And that IS the truth!

• Yep, it took nearly 200 years, to give basic rights to people off different skin color. Pretty stupid, eh?

2|0
    0|0
    • And it took 100 years or so, to decide that slavery was wrong. Pretty fucked up huh

• Show All
    • Just because of their skin color, such a shame

• Generally with people you will find they bend their morals if there is a way to make money and then come up with an ideology to justify themselves. Black slavery and institutionalized racism is a particularly nasty example but it's sadly far from the only one.

What Girls Said 1

• Women couldn't vote until shortly before world war 2 in the U. S. either - but really just be glad all those things changed for the better :)

0|1
    0|0