How do you feel about this new law?

It's illegal to fire single mothers now

0|0
8|6

Most Helpful Girl

• Where are you getting this from?

A piece of legislation was recently shut down in the US that would have made it legal for employers to fire single women for getting pregnant... but as far as I am aware, there has been no new law passed that goes further to PROTECT single mother employees...

It has always been illegal to fire a woman for becoming or being a mother. It is legal, and always has been, to fire any employee, regardless of parental or marital status or gender, for a just cause.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• No source link?

Anyhow, i think a company shouldn't have a right to fire people for anything that can't be helped. For instance, you can't often help when you get sick or w/e... it happens... nor can you help what race you were born as. Stuff like that. I don't see why single mothers (or fathers for that matter) should be immune from being fired. The problem with governments doing stuff like this is that instead of helping single moms, company's just won't hire them if they can avoid it, because now they become more of a liability. I can understand why a company may fire a single mom if they felt that the stress of parenthood was affecting her efficiency in the workplace.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• It sounds made up. I don't believe it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Where is this now a law?

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't believe its a real law.

0|0
    0|0
  • that doesn't seem accurate. I don't think you can fire them for being single mothers. But you should be able to fire them for the usual reasons. You can't fire someone for being a single mother anyways

0|0
    0|0
    • It's illegal to fire them period now

• Show All
    • It really isn't fair

• Basically that means they could be doing a horrible job and be lazy workers and not get fired...

• To fire them for being single mothers? Sure, that's not a legitimate reason for dismissal anyway.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yippy yaa yeey

0|0
    0|0
  • So you can't fire them even if they mess up a lot and are a bad worker?

Then, that is not fair.
    Now I think the company will be careful while hiring single moms.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 5

• If this is true (in USA?) then it will last only a few years. For a start, no business will take on a single mother. Next none will take on a pregnant woman. If it doesn't apply to pregnant women, that is before they become mothers, then pregnant women will get the sack.

0|0
    0|0
  • Pointless, so she can be a lazy worker and her boss won't be abe to fire her? No one should prevented from being hired or fired regardless of gender and life conditions, this isn't fair with the other workers.

0|0
    0|0
  • Illegal to fire them for any reason?

0|0
    0|0
  • So basically it is illegal to fire anyone that isn't a straight white male. Awesome.

0|0
    0|0
  • That law would never pass.

Single mothers that don't do a good job would be a liability to every company. It would lead to companies simply never hiring single mothers. In the long run, you can see why such a law would never pass.

0|0
    0|0
    • But it was just passed today by republicans

• No it wasn't passed. Republicans backed a "bill" to make it legal to fire single women because they're pregnant.

No law was passed, only a bill was drafter. Republicans can't pass the bill alone, the house has to agree and even then the president can veto it.